Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #4,876 of 5,992
Not to mention the benefit of having a face full of sweat and stickiness.

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #4,877 of 5,992
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPACA1-Replacement-Headphone-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWYO

i understand this shure840 cable can be used on the pro900...true?

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #4,879 of 5,992
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPACA1-Replacement-Headphone-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWYO

i understand this shure840 cable can be used on the pro900...true?

It should work but it depends on how thick the black rubber casing is around the jack, you may or may not have to reduce the diameter with like sand paper. I've also butchered a pair of cheap Sony headphones to make a short cable because that threaded end, where you screw in the 1/4" jack, fit perfectly into my 2400.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #4,880 of 5,992
Well sitting in front of a PC doesn't make me sweat. To me personally this is not an issue.
Quote:
Not to mention the benefit of having a face full of sweat and stickiness.

Aug 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #4,881 of 5,992
I did a lot more tweaking to the mods and I made some drastic changes and I finally found the signature that I've been looking for. I'll post a lot of pics when I get home. But, I ended up putting the cotton wool pad in the back a little different than Kees did. I moved the felt pad on the front to a different hole as well as semi covered up a different one. A lot of configuration testing went into this.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #4,882 of 5,992
And here's where I've finally settled at. And I'm REALLY loving these things now. They have a touch more balance to them and a more stable sound character. 

Imgur gallery of all these pics: http://imgur.com/a/NaSQu

First off, the new placement of the felt pads on top of the driver brace.

Kees had the middle hole completely covered by the felt pad. What I discovered through doing this over and over is that each hole "controls" a certain range of sound. The hole I have completely covered (far left in this picture) is the hole that is furthest away from your ear when they're on your head. I noticed an abundance of, let's say, ambient high frequencies. With these phones being as bright as they are, these noises were just covering everything. When I covered up this hole (from just trial and error) I noticed these ambient frequencies tamed down and became more background instead of forward. At the time, both that hole and the middle hole were completely covered and the sound seemed to be coming straight into my ear. I took off the middle hole pad and the bright upper mid range came back, but the sound was more spread out. So, I covered it up 90% of the way and wow. The upper mid range became very clear, but not all harsh and the sound sounded more focused. Less S-Logic finickyness.

Be sure to try and get both sides as even as possible with the gap on the middle hole. Slight differences will be noticeable.

The felt back on the back of the driver plate to dampen vibrations resonating on the metal plate itself. I figured something like that would play into the metallic nature of the higher frequencies.

You can remove the sticker on the back of the driver to release the sub bass. At stock, mine was 2/4 covered. Removing the whole thing (4/4 uncovered) let a world of sub bass into my face and 3/4 gave it more emphasis without wrecking the precision. I reverted back to 2/4 because I wanted to be more subtle and precise with the bass. Just a change of heart. You can do 3/4 and be fine. 4/4 if you just want to see what it sounds like and decide. It's a lot different of a sound.

NOTE - IGNORE THE FELT PAD ON THE MIDDLE HOLE OF THE DRIVER PLATE. I TOOK THESE PICTURES BEFORE DOING THE VARIATION EXPLAINED AT THE BEGINNING.

The felt pads on the back of the headphone cup are spread out to optimize the vibration dampening efficiency as well as absorb resonating sounds under the driver plate air holes.

The cotton wool pad from Kees' mod was the entire circle covered. This suffocated the driver and didn't allow it air to move. Which took away all the bass potential. I cut out a hole for the driver and this takes out the bloat from the bass without taking the bass out itself.

Here's the other cut. It's a little different since it has the headphone port.

And there you have it. I did a lot of interchanging combinations and I like this a lot. 
Something that was noted about Kees' mod was the ability to adjust certain aspects of it and fine tune the sound signature. That's what I've been doing for a few weeks.

What I like about the way they sound now:
The bass loses it's bloat which allows it to get out of the way quicker for the mid range to come through more clearly.
But, the bass still has it's impact and depth precision that I've loved since I got these phones. It's just much more controlled and awesome.
The high range is much more tamed now. The metallic edge is gone as well as the resonating really high frequencies that were always prominent.
The mid range has much more room to work with and seems more centralized to coming from right under the ear, so you hear it very clearly.

beerchug.gif

Cheers,
Rath

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4,883 of 5,992
Quote:
And here's where I've finally settled at. And I'm REALLY loving these things now. They have a touch more balance to them and a more stable sound character. 

Imgur gallery of all these pics: http://imgur.com/a/NaSQu

First off, the new placement of the felt pads on top of the driver brace.

Kees had the middle hole completely covered by the felt pad. What I discovered through doing this over and over is that each hole "controls" a certain range of sound. The hole I have completely covered (far left in this picture) is the hole that is furthest away from your ear when they're on your head. I noticed an abundance of, let's say, ambient high frequencies. With these phones being as bright as they are, these noises were just covering everything. When I covered up this hole (from just trial and error) I noticed these ambient frequencies tamed down and became more background instead of forward. At the time, both that hole and the middle hole were completely covered and the sound seemed to be coming straight into my ear. I took off the middle hole pad and the bright upper mid range came back, but the sound was more spread out. So, I covered it up 90% of the way and wow. The upper mid range became very clear, but not all harsh and the sound sounded more focused. Less S-Logic finickyness.

Be sure to try and get both sides as even as possible with the gap on the middle hole. Slight differences will be noticeable.

The felt back on the back of the driver plate to dampen vibrations resonating on the metal plate itself. I figured something like that would play into the metallic nature of the higher frequencies.

You can remove the sticker on the back of the driver to release the sub bass. At stock, mine was 2/4 covered. Removing the whole thing (4/4 uncovered) let a world of sub bass into my face and 3/4 gave it more emphasis without wrecking the precision. I reverted back to 2/4 because I wanted to be more subtle and precise with the bass. Just a change of heart. You can do 3/4 and be fine. 4/4 if you just want to see what it sounds like and decide. It's a lot different of a sound.

NOTE - IGNORE THE FELT PAD ON THE MIDDLE HOLE OF THE DRIVER PLATE. I TOOK THESE PICTURES BEFORE DOING THE VARIATION EXPLAINED AT THE BEGINNING.

The felt pads on the back of the headphone cup are spread out to optimize the vibration dampening efficiency as well as absorb resonating sounds under the driver plate air holes.

The cotton wool pad from Kees' mod was the entire circle covered. This suffocated the driver and didn't allow it air to move. Which took away all the bass potential. I cut out a hole for the driver and this takes out the bloat from the bass without taking the bass out itself.

Here's the other cut. It's a little different since it has the headphone port.

And there you have it. I did a lot of interchanging combinations and I like this a lot. 
Something that was noted about Kees' mod was the ability to adjust certain aspects of it and fine tune the sound signature. That's what I've been doing for a few weeks.

What I like about the way they sound now:
The bass loses it's bloat which allows it to get out of the way quicker for the mid range to come through more clearly.
But, the bass still has it's impact and depth precision that I've loved since I got these phones. It's just much more controlled and awesome.
The high range is much more tamed now. The metallic edge is gone as well as the resonating really high frequencies that were always prominent.
The mid range has much more room to work with and seems more centralized to coming from right under the ear, so you hear it very clearly.

beerchug.gif

Cheers,
Rath

What kind of cotton wool did you use?

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #4,885 of 5,992
Dunno what you're expecting. Portable amps aren't going to transform your sound, especially on a headphone as easy to drive as the Pro 900. The only amps that will alter a sound a lot are tube amps. SS amps will refine the sound, but won't make it night and day different.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #4,886 of 5,992
Quote:
I just got my Fiio E17, plugged it into my S2, not to impressed, maybe more burn in?

How much burn in do you have? It took about 100 hours on my Pro 900s before the drastic changes slowed. 

What kind of cotton wool did you use?

They were face cleansing pads I picked up at a CVS. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #4,888 of 5,992
Hi guys,

I'm in need of your advice. I'm getting the Ultrasone Pro 900's today and right now I have the Fiio E10 DAC/AMP to go with it. Is it smart to upgrade, and if so what should I get? My budget is 200ish.

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #4,889 of 5,992
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm in need of your advice. I'm getting the Ultrasone Pro 900's today and right now I have the Fiio E10 DAC/AMP to go with it. Is it smart to upgrade, and if so what should I get? My budget is 200ish.

What are you using for music player ? 
What files will you be playing ? MP3, Flac, Wav ? 
What kind of music do you listen to ? 

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #4,890 of 5,992
The Fiio E10 should be fine for now. Why not get used to the Pro 900s with the E10 first before you start throwing your money at something you may not even need? The Pro 900 isn't hard to drive, so don't expect a huge difference with another amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back