Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #4,741 of 5,992
I'm not a HUGE dubstep fan (I prefer the more harmonic liquid/chillstep), but Vexare is definitely among the top of faves for dubstep.

Man, the Clockmaker started off like Chillstep...then the drop hit, and I was like... O_O

If Vexare made a full chillstep version... I'd so buy it. But Breathe... that NEEDS a chillstep version. The vocals ask for it.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #4,742 of 5,992
Oh, I agree. I'm slowly getting into production myself and chillstep (sometimes called lovestep) is the kind of music I can really get into. Which is what I will be focusing on producing.

Mitis - Identity
Mitis - There Within
Mitis - Brings Renewal 
Sacred - Alone (all of Sacred's songs actually. He's a new producer)
Bon Iver - Perth (JacM Remix)
Dark Statique - Last Day of Atlantis (big fan of this one)

^Some chillstep/lovestep for your listening.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #4,743 of 5,992
How does the Pro 900 compare with DT880, HD650, D2000 and SRH 1440 in terms of sound signature,

quality and quantity of bass and treble, detail, imaging, sound stage and general SQ.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #4,744 of 5,992
I would do some research of what people say about those phones individually and compare what they say to make your pick as to the type of sound you want. Personally, I haven't had any of those phones, but I did a lot of research on them when picking the Pro 900s. From my understanding, the DT880 are more balanced with the bass, mids, and treble (people like them for classical). The HD650s are open back, slightly bass-oriented but not very powerful in that aspect. Just detailed with a large soundstage as you would expect from a high class Senny. The D2000 is sub bass oriented and pretty bright on the highs. I don't know anything about the SRH 1440.

Compare those signatures to the Pro 900s which are very aggressive on the bass and highs, with superb quality on all frequencies. Sound stage isn't really a selling point of closed back phones, but, with S-Logic, it does allow separation of the sounds much better than other phones.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4,745 of 5,992
Thanks for the song list.

This is probably my fave chillstep track in recent memory...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBBETgrBeDc[/VIDEO]

The bass is a bit on the lower end of the spectrum, which sounded godly on the D7000, though it does still sound good on the Pro 900. The Pro 900 rolls off sub bass a bit in comparison though.

Dark Statique - Last Day of Atlantis

Exceptional.

Great, now I have to scour the nets for lovestep. XD

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #4,747 of 5,992
Rath1on I had so much fun reading your post about the modding you did. That are some awesome things you did mate! I made some mod's in the past but took it all out and now only use the J$ Pads but this gives me the motivation to start modding it again ^^

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #4,748 of 5,992
Does Amazon generally seem to be the best place to keep an eye out for these? I know they have dropped as low as $330 before...

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #4,752 of 5,992
Excision - That Girl is pretty sweet chillstep. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #4,753 of 5,992
Quote:
Hey guys. I've ordered my 900's and now I'm debating how I should drive them. Zo2? E17? or Essence STX? Price is not an issue, only thing that matters is that bass!

Can't say for the Zo2 and STX but the PRO900 sounds find on my E17. The bass boost doesn't work with PRO900 very well at higher levels, but it's not really needed since the bass is already high.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #4,754 of 5,992
Quote:
Can't say for the Zo2 and STX but the PRO900 sounds find on my E17. The bass boost doesn't work with PRO900 very well at higher levels, but it's not really needed since the bass is already high.

I can push up to about +6db on some songs with my E17. I keep it at +4db usually and it sounds crystal clear. 
I plan on swapping it out for an STX actually. The DAC quality is superb on that thing and, since it's a sound card, you will have driver tweak EQ which is awesomesauce.

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #4,755 of 5,992
Quote:
I would do some research of what people say about those phones individually and compare what they say to make your pick as to the type of sound you want. Personally, I haven't had any of those phones, but I did a lot of research on them when picking the Pro 900s. From my understanding, the DT880 are more balanced with the bass, mids, and treble (people like them for classical). The HD650s are open back, slightly bass-oriented but not very powerful in that aspect. Just detailed with a large soundstage as you would expect from a high class Senny. The D2000 is sub bass oriented and pretty bright on the highs. I don't know anything about the SRH 1440.

Compare those signatures to the Pro 900s which are very aggressive on the bass and highs, with superb quality on all frequencies. Sound stage isn't really a selling point of closed back phones, but, with S-Logic, it does allow separation of the sounds much better than other phones.

For phones such as DT880, and HD650's is it a waste to listen with an MP3 320bpks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back