Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #4,771 of 5,992
How does the bass from the HE400 sound compared to the 900s? I became interested in those cans with my research of the Pro 900s.
How do the HE400s sound with regard to electronic music? 

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #4,772 of 5,992
Rath1on, i noticed that you got the xonar stx. How does it sound compared to the fiio e17? I've been considering getting one for gaming purposes, but if it sounds as good as the e17, i might just give my e17 to my brother and use the stx.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4,773 of 5,992
It doesn't compare. The HE400 has good neutral, and rich bass. Its everything else that blows the Pro 900 away.

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #4,774 of 5,992
Quote:
Rath1on, i noticed that you got the xonar stx. How does it sound compared to the fiio e17? I've been considering getting one for gaming purposes, but if it sounds as good as the e17, i might just give my e17 to my brother and use the stx.

I'll let you know when I get it in. It should be early next week. But, from everything I've read and knowing computers, the DAC quality on the STX is far superior to the E17. It's a very good dedicated sound card and, not hating on the E17, a portable, low power DAC/AMP like the E17 can't even compare to begin with. The Pro 900s have a low impedance but it has been noted by several people that they like a lot of current. It seems the more current they have, the more responsive the driver is. The E17 sounds awesome, but it's a portable DAC. Not to mention the driver configuring of the sound card will be far more comprehensive than the FiiO.

All that said, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it sounds when I get it. I'm really excited. 

Quote:
It doesn't compare. The HE400 has good neutral, and rich bass. Its everything else that blows the Pro 900 away.

I see. I still want to try them out, lol. I really want to try something a little different than the Pro 900s signature. I really love these phones, but just for the sake of trying something new. I guess this is the part where Head-Fi apologizes about people's wallets? haha
I want something that has an emphasis on the bass depth and impact and the mid to upper mid range clarity. With the highs being detailed. It's been rather difficult finding something with such a signature, too. Like D2000 bass and switching the recessed mids and bright highs. It seems everything that has bass doesn't have the same mid range potential as nonbass cans. 
UGH. Why can't there just be a perfect headphone :frowning2:

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #4,775 of 5,992
The ESW9 is bassy and mid rich, but soft treble. For bassy cans, you're either gonna sacrifice mids, or treble.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #4,776 of 5,992
^ Exact same thoughts as Rathlon; love my Pro900s but I'm definitely going to get HE400's, I've been eyeing them for ages.
I think these 2 sets of cans will be perfect compliments to eachother, especially for a basshead. One open with nice mids and great clean bass, the other closed and bassheavy.

Thanks also to you two for some 'chillstep' artist recommendations. I used to be really into deep/technoey dubstep, even DJ'ed it out a bit; Ramadanman/Pearson Sound, Pinch, 2562, Kryptic Minds (dark), Egyptrixx, Western Synthetics (Sydney), loads of others..

I knew of Phaeleh, Mount Kimbie, Mount Eden, Burial and other big ones, but it sounds like 'chillstep' is a bit of a new thing and truly is just about the chill. Lovely stuff.

I highly recommend the Bristol producer Kraymon; he used to make breakbeat (still does) but now also lots of experimental dubby stuff and has his own record label.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #4,777 of 5,992
Make sure to get them with velour pads. They have increased clarity with no loss in bass. The pleather is warmer/softer sounding.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #4,778 of 5,992
hi
i was looking for a 500 dollar at max with the most awesome bass for modern music.
i came here for the pro 900, cuz everybody says it was the top of the bass kings.
unfortunately, these already cost 500 alone.
so how do these sound unamped?
im just hoping they sound decent until i can afford a good amp.
replies appreciated

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #4,779 of 5,992
Quote:
hi
i was looking for a 500 dollar at max with the most awesome bass for modern music.
i came here for the pro 900, cuz everybody says it was the top of the bass kings.
unfortunately, these already cost 500 alone.
so how do these sound unamped?
im just hoping they sound decent until i can afford a good amp.
replies appreciated

The pro 900's are 340 dollars on amazon right now.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #4,782 of 5,992
Quote:
Btw, just e-mail Ultrasone and they will send replacement screws. At least they did for me!

That's great to hear!
And they also added a little post-it note by your name saying something along the lines of, "MHMMM TRYNA MOD OUR HEADPHONES, EH??? HE THINKS HE'S BETTER THAN US!!!!"

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #4,783 of 5,992
Quote:
Btw, just e-mail Ultrasone and they will send replacement screws. At least they did for me!

Wow, that's great news! I happened to strip one of my screws yesterday. I'll contact them right away 
beyersmile.png

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #4,785 of 5,992
i guess i need an amp. can anyone recommend the best amp for the pro 900. Please keep in mind that I do have a 500 budget and 350 is already used for the pro 900.
amp recommendations appreciated.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back