Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #4,637 of 5,992
Quote:
How do you like the Pro 900s with the Little Dot MKIV? I've been considering getting one (first amp) but wasn't sure how well tubes worked with these headphones. Still debating if solid state is a better way to go with such bass heavy cans and the hip-hop / trance music that will played on them.

I personally found my Pro 900 to sound almost similar out of both my solid state amp and my portable amp.

Others may vary, but I would only buy an expansive amp if you plan on using other headphones with it.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #4,638 of 5,992
Jun 18, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #4,642 of 5,992
Quote:
Very difficult to verify if a headphone is fake or not on ebay. 

seriously? ... you've come across fake pro900's?  if anything, perhaps the condition of a pro900 listing on ebay may be questionable, but there are also authorized dealers using ebay (like razordogdeals) offering bnib pro900s with full warranty.

<also, are my eyes receiving me, or have the street prices on these climbed about ~$100 or more since the last year?>

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #4,643 of 5,992
Quote:

I personally found my Pro 900 to sound almost similar out of both my solid state amp and my portable amp.

Others may vary, but I would only buy an expansive amp if you plan on using other headphones with it.

Yeah, I these are my most expensive headphones to date (and right now I'm not really interested in anything more advanced that' out currently) but I am interested in a good amp simply because my laptop does not have nearly enough power in its headphone jack to suitably drive these. I already plan to be picking up a Schiit Bifrost as a good DAC and was trying to decide whether a MKIV, Schiit Asgard, or Valhalla would be a good match up with them.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #4,644 of 5,992
The PRO900 has an impedance of 40 Ohm, pretty much any amp has enough power to drive it properly.
Quote:
Yeah, I these are my most expensive headphones to date (and right now I'm not really interested in anything more advanced that' out currently) but I am interested in a good amp simply because my laptop does not have nearly enough power in its headphone jack to suitably drive these. I already plan to be picking up a Schiit Bifrost as a good DAC and was trying to decide whether a MKIV, Schiit Asgard, or Valhalla would be a good match up with them.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #4,645 of 5,992
Quote:
The PRO900 has an impedance of 40 Ohm, pretty much any amp has enough power to drive it properly.

Do you mean amps of any kind including the integrated amplifiers used in computers? Because I notice that even the max volume of my Thinkpad T510 is just barely able to drive these. The sound is flat, the clipping is apparent, and its not really all that usable. It is *much* better on the 2011 15" Macbook Pro I also have, but I definitely feel it could be better. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone and get a better DAC along with a much better amp for these and eventually my future headphones (Considering Sony XB1000 for dubstep music and Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm headphones for some of my orchestral music due to the highs being a little too harsh on my 900s (and muddy on the XB1000s)). I also still have my reshelled Super.fi 5 EBs but I don't think they honestly need any sort of amping. They can already get as loud as I can comfortably handle iwth "boom" to spare. It would be nice if the same amp could handle a JH13 though in the future.

I know its hard to have a "one amp fits all" approach same as with headphones but I'd hate to buy a basic amp only to have to upgrade when I bring others into the fold.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #4,646 of 5,992
Hmm, well, it is surprising to me that the Thinkpad is unable to drive these headphones but it seems that you are correct to want an amp if you can clearly hear clipping and the sound is not loud enough. I'm surprised since when I had mine, I was able to use them with pretty much every source I had, including the really crappy ones.
Quote:

Do you mean amps of any kind including the integrated amplifiers used in computers? Because I notice that even the max volume of my Thinkpad T510 is just barely able to drive these. The sound is flat, the clipping is apparent, and its not really all that usable. It is *much* better on the 2011 15" Macbook Pro I also have, but I definitely feel it could be better. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone and get a better DAC along with a much better amp for these and eventually my future headphones (Considering Sony XB1000 for dubstep music and Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohm headphones for some of my orchestral music due to the highs being a little too harsh on my 900s (and muddy on the XB1000s)). I also still have my reshelled Super.fi 5 EBs but I don't think they honestly need any sort of amping. They can already get as loud as I can comfortably handle iwth "boom" to spare. It would be nice if the same amp could handle a JH13 though in the future.

I know its hard to have a "one amp fits all" approach same as with headphones but I'd hate to buy a basic amp only to have to upgrade when I bring others into the fold.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #4,647 of 5,992
Quote:
Hmm, well, it is surprising to me that the Thinkpad is unable to drive these headphones but it seems that you are correct to want an amp if you can clearly hear clipping and the sound is not loud enough. I'm surprised since when I had mine, I was able to use them with pretty much every source I had, including the really crappy ones.

Yeah, the Thinkpad is honestly a worst case example. Every other source in my house sounds fine, even my cell phone. Its just this incredibly weak Thinkpad. But I love its sturdy build quality and function over form keyboard and other interface features so I keep using it. The headphone jack (and the speakers as well) are the most underpowered I've ever used in a laptop though. Definitely wasn't a design priority compared to the MacBook (where multi-media consumption is naturally much more common).

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #4,648 of 5,992
Hey everyone I was just looking on B&H and they are suppose to get some back in stock on July 1st. How long do you think it will take to sell out? Because I dont really want to wait another two months if they run out quicky.

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #4,649 of 5,992
I just got a pair of these 2nd hand, much in-thanks to this thread. So pre-burnt in which is nice :]
First day listening and blown away! Even out of work PC's crappy onboard and my iPhone I was impressed with the detail and of course THE BASS!

Loving them...

I bought a pair of T70s a couple months ago but they just haven't been floating my boat. Not the sound signature I was after; bass quality yes but not quantity at all...
I also find the Pro900s more comfy and a better clamp and fit to my head.
The 2nd hand pair I got just had stock pads but also Denon d2000 pads modded; I'm trying them out now and liking the sound though not sure how much it has changed things. I'll need to do some A/Bing. The stock velour pads were very comfy IMO - more comfy than the stock velours that come with T70..

I think I'll sell the T70s now; though they are more detailed/analytical and amazing for acoustic/rock/jazz so might be a good complimentary set... but think I might go D5000's instead; the t70 lack of bass just irks me too much and even with Beyer gel pads I don't get a very good fit, making the top headband hurt my skull. No such issues with Pro900 so far.

Can't wait til my M-Stage arrives next week now to see how (if even possible) it can improve these Pro900s :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #4,650 of 5,992
How do i put the cable in the headphones? I push it in. screw it in i tried all types of putting it in yet i only get 1 ear of sound or 2 ears of sound that i can hardly hear as its ass distorted? WHat the hell is wrong? These are brand new.

It like a airy sound with no bass at all i dont know whats wrong. problem is i brought them from a ebayer so im worried about this :frowning2:

Ok i played around with my soundcard settings ( asus xonar stx) And putting volume in left ear only and not right ear it plays through both ears with bass. what the hell? Anyone explain this

Very very strange? Help lol

does anyone else have to fiddle around with the cable for it to play through both speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back