Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #4,606 of 5,992
Quote:
Now that I have a pretty good idea of what happened, I think I might be able to pull the same exact thing as the previous owner, but in reverse. I have a free shot to take the headphone apart and try to fix it.

I bought them for around $325 plus shipping. Seems a little suspect in hindsight, but whatever.

For what it's worth, the sound is nice out of the one side that works

Quote:
What really sickens me here is that, based on the evidence available without taking apart the headphone, the seller knew the item was defective, yet sold it to me as if it was mint condition.

I'm going to try to return the headphone, so I'm not going to take it apart and try to fix it; if I do, then the seller can easily claim that I was the one who did the damage, and stick me with the defective unit.

Unbelievable.. brand new PRO 900s can be had for just $50 more, and they tried to pass off used headphones as mint/almost-new? I hope the cheater gets his comeuppance with some headphones he buys in future. Yeah, don't touch the cans anymore; the guy duped Amazon once, and could just as easily do so again. Hope you get a full refund, bro. :)

May 30, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #4,607 of 5,992
Quote:
I sent my PRO 900s back to B&H today. I wonder when they will get more in stock but they said I'll get a new one as soon as they get it. They gave me a UPS label.

It is never going near the $1000 V200 amp anytime again. It may or may not have caused the driver issue but it's not needed. Comparing the V200 (my whole home setup) to my RoCoo P, the V200 only sounded a little better, little more detailed, and you only notice the difference listening side by side. The RoCoo P sounded almost as good, which is really, really good sounding. In terms of quality, the V200 is not worth the risk by a long shot and the putting the volume loud made the 900 way too bright. Stick to small, FiiO-like amps. 
wink.gif

BTW, because of only having one driver, last night I put on the Beatles Mono songs. Comparing the Blue Dragon and the Silver Dragon, the Blue was better on every song. Bass is crazy with those Beatles records. I'd say it's probably the better choice for Dylan as well. Of course, this is just one speaker.

Oh, and hi RallyMaster! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm already loving the bass response with the stock cables. I can't imagine how much nicer sounding it'll be with the Blue Dragon cables! I'm real stoked about getting one now. 
cool.gif

May 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #4,608 of 5,992
I just hit "BUY" at Amazon for the pro900 and and e17.

I've been playing with the AKG-K550/e7 for the past 10 days and been left wanting. The fit is too soft, the cups too big and to get a fuller sound, I need to put pressure with my hands. Love the looks and the sound for the most part has been satisfying...Especially when you line the cups with cotton under the pad. Call me crazy, but if I'm going to spend $5-600, I want to smile every time I put them on. So back they'll go.

I know the field is split with the 900's but they have to be worth trying. I'll touch back tomorrow after a couple of hours play.

May 31, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #4,609 of 5,992
B&H said they have one in stock for me and I should get it in next week. YAY! Since I know now that this is a keeper, I'm gonna just burn it in slowly with noise for just 5 hours a day. I want this one to last.

I haz a question:

What surprised me is that I have often had my PRO 550 in my V200 for the past 6 months, often connected at the same time as my LCD-2 with max volume. The LCD-2 is 60 OHM, the PRO 550 is 64 OHM, and the PRO 900 is 40 OHM. Did the 20 lesser OHM cause the 900 to bust? Is that why the 550 have been OK, cause they have more 4 more OHM? Is the V200 OK with small OHM headphones?

May 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #4,610 of 5,992
I had some strange issues with my brand new Pro900's last night, when I had it hooked up to my iBasso D6 using a LOD adapter from my iPhone I got some crazy static every so often. I've used this same config on my HFI-780's, Senn HD650, Senn PMX90, Yuin OK3, and Beyer T70 with this never happening before.

When I hooked them up to my Little Dot MK IV it didn't happen again.

The only difference was I was using the 1/4" cable on the desktop amp and the 1/8" on the portable amp.

I'm thinking either one of two things, either electrical noise from the phone (weird if it is since it's never happened before), or maybe I had the cable kind of loose?

Any ideas?

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #4,611 of 5,992
Hey everyone, I have had a weird love/hate journey with the pro 900s. When I first got them, I got them at the same time as the HD650s. I listen to primarily rock and classic rock, so I immediately loved the 650s, and hated the pro 900s. I burned them in, but I always found them too aggressive and fatiguing. I don't know if they have significantly calmed down after more than 200 hours of use and burn in, but I have finally fallen in love with these guys. I love their presentation. I feel as if when I listen to them they give me another point of view to my music; one that is more aggressive and significantly more fun to listen to.

I don't know if this is normal, I probably just got used to their style, but I have really enjoyed them lately. I just thought I would share my thoughts and my newfound appreciation, as after all, this is an appreciation thread! I probably should mention that before I was using them with a PA2V2 and now am using a RSA P51, so maybe this new amp has a better synergy for my musical tastes.

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #4,612 of 5,992
Quote:
Hey everyone, I have had a weird love/hate journey with the pro 900s. When I first got them, I got them at the same time as the HD650s. I listen to primarily rock and classic rock, so I immediately loved the 650s, and hated the pro 900s. I burned them in, but I always found them too aggressive and fatiguing. I don't know if they have significantly calmed down after more than 200 hours of use and burn in, but I have finally fallen in love with these guys. I love their presentation. I feel as if when I listen to them they give me another point of view to my music; one that is more aggressive and significantly more fun to listen to.
I don't know if this is normal, I probably just got used to their style, but I have really enjoyed them lately. I just thought I would share my thoughts and my newfound appreciation, as after all, this is an appreciation thread! I probably should mention that before I was using them with a PA2V2 and now am using a RSA P51, so maybe this new amp has a better synergy for my musical tastes.

For me, I definitely got more used to the sound of Pro 900 and loved them more and more than when I first got them. Surely they are much more aggressive and fatiguing than HD650 since HD650 is a very laid back headphone compared to Pro 900, (and this is not a bad thing IMO depending on what you listen to). Enjoy your Pro 900, you'll probably like them even more later than now! :)

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #4,613 of 5,992
Just joining the club today. Haven't had all that much time to use them yet, but I can say I am more than happy with my decision! :)

Edit: one thing I'm struggling with, how do I fold them to look like this?
ultrasone-pro-900-folded.jpg

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #4,614 of 5,992
It's been explained once before but probably hard to find that post again.  Basically you need to pull the phones out to it's maximum, then you will be able to fold them in.  Don't be afraid to bend the band backwards a little in the process.

Also, it was mentioned in that post that you need to detatch the cable but I remember seeing the Ultrasone youtube video and they didn't detatch it there.

HTH.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #4,615 of 5,992
Hello there!!

I'm new here!

Does any one know one of those DAC + Amps?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAC-w-Tube-OP-Amp-output-Preamp-and-Headphone-Amp-/200769968753?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2ebed29a71#ht_5092wt_1396

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maverick-Audio-D1-Headphone-Amp-Digital-to-Analog-converter-DAC-Tube-PreAmp-/330697119624?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item4cff159788#ht_4941wt_1139

I want a decent AMP + DAC to use with my brand new Pro 900.

This is my first real deal headphone! I had the Beats Pro before that, but didn't like it! Without any amp I can see that the Ultrasone is way much better...

I'll be glad if you can help me here!

Thanks a lot!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I've forgot to say!! My source is always my PC, FLAC + foobar2000. Genres: Electronic and Rock (new metal, heavy metal, punk rock). I love Bass... A lot of Bass!!! That's why I've choose the Pro 900 by the reviews!

Thanks again...

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #4,618 of 5,992
Quote:

I'm already loving the bass response with the stock cables. I can't imagine how much nicer sounding it'll be with the Blue Dragon cables! I'm real stoked about getting one now. 
cool.gif

Can someone tell me where to get an after market cable for the Pro 900's?  I see Malevolent will be getting a Blue Dragon cable - but from where?

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #4,619 of 5,992
Quote:

Can someone tell me where to get an after market cable for the Pro 900's?  I see Malevolent will be getting a Blue Dragon cable - but from where?

You can get the Blue Dragon cable (and others) at Moon Audio.

The Molecule cable can be purchased from Double Helix Cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back