Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
May 29, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4,591 of 5,992
Quote:
I hook my PRO900 up to my E7, hit play in Winamp, and the headphone is defective. No sound in the right earcup. Same with straight output from my phone.

This is my face right now.

Are you completely sure you have screwed the cable in properly? This is a common mistake.

May 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #4,592 of 5,992
I really doubt you would have a dead driver on a new set of PRO900's... Really make sure that you have screwed in the cable right into the headphones.
And about the folding... hold the headphones as you would be about to put them on your head, then extend the headband to the full and start bending the cups inwards towards the headbands and presto!
I hope I described it in a reasonable way :)

May 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #4,593 of 5,992
Quote:
I hook my PRO900 up to my E7, hit play in Winamp, and the headphone is defective. No sound in the right earcup. Same with straight output from my phone.

This is my face right now.

So how are your PRO900s? I hope there are no issues with yours. Mine are working fine right out of the box; you might want to try screwing in the cable until it no longer budges.

Wow, the bass.. it's great. :))

May 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #4,594 of 5,992
I'm 99% positive it's not the cord. I own an HD598, and the cable is much harder to change and replace on that headphone than this one.

Upon further inspection, I believe I've uncovered what happened with these headphones. (They are used, but bought as "mint condition" from Amazon. They don't even have any scratches on the shiny metallic surface, so it's not like I bought some ghetto pair from nowhere 
frown.gif
)

When I press the dead side down on my head, I get a split-second of audio, and then nothing. I took both the pads off of the headphones (which are held on with some horrible plastic material) and discovered that the screws on the dead side are stripped, but the same is not the case with the working side.

My guess is that somebody bought these new, tried to mod them, messed up the headphones, and returned them.

May 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #4,595 of 5,992
Quote:
I'm 99% positive it's not the cord. I own an HD598, and the cable is much harder to change and replace on that headphone than this one.

Upon further inspection, I believe I've uncovered what happened with these headphones. (They are used, but bought as "mint condition" from Amazon.)

When I press the dead side down on my head, I get a split-second of audio, and then nothing. I took both the pads off of the headphones (which are held on with some horrible plastic material) and discovered that the screws on the dead side are stripped, but the same is not the case with the working side.

My guess is that somebody bought these new, tried to mod them, messed up the headphones, and returned them.

Oh shucks, I'm sorry to hear that. I bought mine from Amazon too - how much did you pay for yours? Hope you're able to get a refund without much hassle. :)

May 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #4,597 of 5,992

Upon further inspection, I believe I've uncovered what happened with these headphones. (They are used, but bought as "mint condition" from Amazon. They don't even have any scratches on the shiny metallic surface, so it's not like I bought some ghetto pair from nowhere :frowning2: )

:frowning2: that just makes me sad. Scumbags.

May 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #4,598 of 5,992
I just ordered mine off of amazon! can't wait!

May 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #4,599 of 5,992
Now that I have a pretty good idea of what happened, I think I might be able to pull the same exact thing as the previous owner, but in reverse. I have a free shot to take the headphone apart and try to fix it.

I bought them for around $325 plus shipping. Seems a little suspect in hindsight, but whatever.

For what it's worth, the sound is nice out of the one side that works

May 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #4,600 of 5,992
Quote:
Now that I have a pretty good idea of what happened, I think I might be able to pull the same exact thing as the previous owner, but in reverse. I have a free shot to take the headphone apart and try to fix it.

Good luck with the fix, bro. Hope it works. Do you have any pictures on what exactly happened?

May 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #4,601 of 5,992
What really sickens me here is that, based on the evidence available without taking apart the headphone, the seller knew the item was defective, yet sold it to me as if it was mint condition.

I'm going to try to return the headphone, so I'm not going to take it apart and try to fix it; if I do, then the seller can easily claim that I was the one who did the damage, and stick me with the defective unit.

May 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #4,602 of 5,992
Quote:
What really sickens me here is that, based on the evidence available without taking apart the headphone, the seller knew the item was defective, yet sold it to me as if it was mint condition.

I'm going to try to return the headphone, so I'm not going to take it apart and try to fix it; if I do, then the seller can easily claim that I was the one who did the damage, and stick me with the defective unit.

That really sucks.

Good luck in the future.

May 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #4,603 of 5,992
Whats the average burn in period for the 900's?

May 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #4,605 of 5,992
I sent my PRO 900s back to B&H today. I wonder when they will get more in stock but they said I'll get a new one as soon as they get it. They gave me a UPS label.

It is never going near the $1000 V200 amp anytime again. It may or may not have caused the driver issue but it's not needed. Comparing the V200 (my whole home setup) to my RoCoo P, the V200 only sounded a little better, little more detailed, and you only notice the difference listening side by side. The RoCoo P sounded almost as good, which is really, really good sounding. In terms of quality, the V200 is not worth the risk by a long shot and the putting the volume loud made the 900 way too bright. Stick to small, FiiO-like amps. 
wink.gif

BTW, because of only having one driver, last night I put on the Beatles Mono songs. Comparing the Blue Dragon and the Silver Dragon, the Blue was better on every song. Bass is crazy with those Beatles records. I'd say it's probably the better choice for Dylan as well. Of course, this is just one speaker.

Oh, and hi RallyMaster! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back