Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #4,246 of 5,992
This song's been playing a lot on the radio but it sounds awesome on these cans, the bass is addicting!

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #4,248 of 5,992

Quote:
djdeals has these for 339 shipped, is this a good price?

Amazing deal.

B&H used to have the same deal (that's when I got them) but apparently they got slapped on their fingers by Ultrasone for putting up such a low price tag.

Get them while it's hot ! And with the money you save from having such a deal, get a good amp !

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #4,249 of 5,992
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ultrasone+pro+900

^It's as simple as that. I'd say $339 is a pretty damn good deal in comparison to other retailers.

Like rainblack said, use your savings for a decent amp. If you haven't started looking at amps already, look at the Schiit Asgard.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #4,250 of 5,992

Quote:
Amazing deal.

B&H used to have the same deal (that's when I got them) but apparently they got slapped on their fingers by Ultrasone for putting up such a low price tag.

Get them while it's hot ! And with the money you save from having such a deal, get a good amp !

Thanks, i have the little dot mk III hopefully it'll be a good match.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #4,251 of 5,992
How does the Pro 900 compare to IEMs, namely the Sennheiser IE 80?

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #4,252 of 5,992
i got a silver cable for mine from chris_himself. definitely makes them less sibilant on the highs. feels like i can turn it up higher without my ears bleeding. im thinking about selling them thiugh. they are too bulky to use as portables for me. about 2 months old, with warranty

thinking 400 for the silver cable and the phones. does that seem reasonable?

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #4,253 of 5,992

Quote:

From my brief encounter with IE80, these two are not comparable.
PRO900s are more bass heavy with recessed mids. IE80s are closer to all arounders than PRO900.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #4,254 of 5,992

How about in other areas such as soundstage and imaging?
Quote:
From my brief encounter with IE80, these two are not comparable.
PRO900s are more bass heavy with recessed mids. IE80s are closer to all arounders than PRO900.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #4,256 of 5,992

Quote:
Well, it's not really fair to compare the IE80 to the Pro 900. Pro 900 has bigger soundstage and better imaging. Though it's not really by much.

I don't know if it's my mindset I have or actual physics at work (probably both) but when I listen to IEMs, in my mind, they create an artificial soundstage in my head whereas PRO900 actually feel like sound is coming from a source away from my ears (and it does, as the drivers are physically placed farther away from ears than IEMs) and sound more airy. It's equivalent of going from closed phones to open phones for me.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #4,257 of 5,992

Quote:
I don't know if it's my mindset I have or actual physics at work (probably both) but when I listen to IEMs, in my mind, they create an artificial soundstage in my head whereas PRO900 actually feel like sound is coming from a source away from my ears (and it does, as the drivers are physically placed farther away from ears than IEMs) and sound more airy. It's equivalent of going from closed phones to open phones for me.

I kind of agree with that. I guess that's how the whole thing works. Sometimes it feels like the IE80 has a big soundstage, and sometimes it feels like every sound is inside my head. With the Pro 900 I always get that 3D like imaging, which I don't really get with the IE80. I think it really depends on how well the S-logic works for you I guess. Although I have to add that sometimes it doesn't work for me so well, and the soundstage in the Pro 900 sounds pretty narrow. Thing is, that I don't think it's fair to compare IEMs to fullsized phones because most IEMs I've tried have narrower soundstage than my old M50s had, and those things didn't really have a soundstage at all.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #4,258 of 5,992

Quote:

never heard IE80 but I recently got Sunrise Xcape IE and for the first moment I was bloody happy with their sound, really amaizing for IEMs of that price, but I was wrong when decided to compare them to Pro900. Its just incomparable. Especially soundstage and low-range are just from different planet. But hey its too unfair comparison. It would be interesting to compare pro900 to some hi-end multi-driver BA custom IEMs though..

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #4,260 of 5,992

Quote:
hey, i was wondering if anybody could suggest a good all in one portable AMP/DAC that i could use with both my desktop and my iphone, for these headphones

or would i be better of getting them separately?

I have no clue what your budget is, but I must say the the Pro900 combined with the Fiio E17 (AMP/DAC combo all in one) sounds amazing, and much better with, than without using my Laptop/GalaxyS2 Phone/Sansa Clip+.

Reading : http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/1950#post_8184224

Users who are viewing this thread

Back