Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #3,976 of 5,992
Sound quality is an improvement on Pro 900. Better bass, both in quality and quantity. Punchier, more detailed mids (but slightly recessed) and very detailed highs, sound stage is larger.

Quote:
I have a pair of HFi-580s right now and I don't see how anything could sound better. How are the Pro900s different or better?

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3,978 of 5,992

Quote:
Recessed mids relative to 580s or to headphones in general?

The pro900 mids are slightly more recessed in comparison to HFi580.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #3,979 of 5,992
I had a pair of dj1 same as the 580 but sold them, then yesterday i got to listen to the pro900 for the first time and in my opinion the pro900 are a significant upgrade, they wowed me in seconds something the dj1 just could never achieve. I still think the 580 maybe one of the best bang for buck headphones available. I now really want to try the pro700 mk2 :basshead:

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #3,981 of 5,992
I think you'd do well with the Future Sonics Atrios M5. My MG6Pro hit harder and deeper than my Pro 900's. The Atrios are very similar from what I hear. Can't go wrong with dynamic IEMs. Dynamic drivers (Vs Balanced Armature) should be the only thing you should look at for great bass. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #3,982 of 5,992

Quote:
He's asking for something that isn't possible. Portable headphones have to make compromises to be portable and as such will not really compete with the Pro900. Also he doesn't seem sure if he wants just a portable bass headphone or a portable headphone that sounds like the Pro900. The 580/DJ1 sounds similar enough to the Pro900 (or at least has the same house sound), the Pro700mkII does not.

Of course it's possible...I'm asking for the closest thing to the Pro 900, but portable. I won't mind giving up a little room for sound quality, but I want something as bassy or even bassier even if it's more of a boomier bass.

The Pro 900 IS a bass headphone.
I'm looking for a portable (but not on-ear) that is as close to the Pro 900 as I can get if possible in terms of sound quality and sound signature.
Again, I want something that is full-sized with crisp and detailed highs and mids, and great bass like the Pro 900. I want a bassy, but don't want the bass to overpower all other frequencies.

I believe the HFI-580 might be the closest thing, but I'm weary about the bass quantity. The 580's might come close bass-wise with EQ and max settings an E11 or ZO2 amp, but I'm looking to see if there are better options.

Another example would be the M80s. The sound quality is great. If they were full-sized with more bass-quantity, these would be my number one portables.
That's where the M100s come in. They're supposed to be just like the M80, but full-sized with more bass and a bigger driver. These might be perfect for me, so if they hold up to expectations, I'm going to pick these up as soon as they come out.

But if nothing comes close to the Pro 900, then I'm just going to go with Bass head cans like the Pro700MK2. I just hope the sound quality is clear and that I don't feel claustrophobic (i.e. LP2s).

Quote:
Yes, that is my thoughts as well. But on the other hand, I'm keeping my mind open to the possibility that there might be something - who knows, maybe there is some hidden gem somewhere that I haven't heard of.

This is what the M100s are supposed to be. We'll just have to wait and find out.

Quote:
I had a pair of dj1 same as the 580 but sold them, then yesterday i got to listen to the pro900 for the first time and in my opinion the pro900 are a significant upgrade, they wowed me in seconds something the dj1 just could never achieve. I still think the 580 maybe one of the best bang for buck headphones available. I now really want to try the pro700 mk2
basshead.gif

How do you like the DJ1 in terms of bass quantity? Did you drive them with an amp?

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #3,983 of 5,992
Hmm well good luck and I'll be interested to know if you find anything. I still think the HFI-580/DJ1 or the ES10 are the closest things I've heard in a more portable package. Maybe the JVC FX700 too, but they are IEMs.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3,984 of 5,992

How do you like the DJ1 in terms of bass quantity? Did you drive them with an amp?

First i ran them out of my home stereo and they had plenty of bass quantity, much more than expected to be honest, then i tried them unamped out of my ipod and what a difference they sounded completely flat and lifeless and the bass still had alot of impact but the quantity was miles away from my home stereo so i ordered an E11 and it massively improved the bass quantity and quality compared to direcly out of the ipod. I really don't recommend the DJ1 unamped at all. It really showed me how important your source really is.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #3,985 of 5,992

Quote:
First i ran them out of my home stereo and they had plenty of bass quantity, much more than expected to be honest, then i tried them unamped out of my ipod and what a difference they sounded completely flat and lifeless and the bass still had alot of impact but the quantity was miles away from my home stereo so i ordered an E11 and it massively improved the bass quantity and quality compared to direcly out of the ipod. I really don't recommend the DJ1 unamped at all. It really showed me how important your source really is.

What do you think of the bass quantity of the 900's compared to the DJ1?
In my opinion I think the DJ1 seems like it has slightly more because it is not as well controlled as the 900's but still sounds good unlike the LP2.  Just trying to help out MrNurseBJ in his decision.  

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #3,986 of 5,992

What do you think of the bass quantity of the 900's compared to the DJ1?
In my opinion I think the DJ1 seems like it has slightly more because it is not as well controlled as the 900's but still sounds good unlike the LP2.  Just trying to help out MrNurseBJ in his decision.  

I owned the DJ1 but only had a short audition of the pro900, but for me the pro900 seem to engulf your entire ear with bass as if it's coming from all around you possibly due to the bigger cups and had more emphasis on sub/mid bass, whereas the DJ1 has more impact because the bass seems to be directed directly at you rather than all around you, whereas the pro900 is sub/mid bass the DJ1 is all midbass. I think it depends if you favour rumble or kick.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #3,987 of 5,992

Quote:
I owned the DJ1 but only had a short audition of the pro900, but for me the pro900 seem to engulf your entire ear with bass as if it's coming from all around you possibly due to the bigger cups and had more emphasis on sub/mid bass, whereas the DJ1 has more impact because the bass seems to be directed directly at you rather than all around you, whereas the pro900 is sub/mid bass the DJ1 is all midbass. I think it depends if you favour rumble or kick.

I think your description is pretty accurate.  I just did some more a/b'ing and it sounds about right.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #3,988 of 5,992
Jan 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3,989 of 5,992
Thanks noxa and Danny for your input. I think the 580's would pair perfectly with a ZO2 amp. I'm going to wait until I have the ZO2 before I purchase the 580's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back