Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3,316 of 5,992

Quote:
I find the bass to be huge and powerful on the Pro 900, but the last few posters have disagreed, and I'll admit that few headphones have the bass quantity of the Beats.  I believe the D1100 has more bass quantity than the Pro 900, and I'll bet that its of better quality than the Beats, so that seems like an easy choice for you.

The D2000/5000 might not have the bass you're looking for.  It is hits with authority and goes as deep as any headphone I've heard, and it can really dominate on certain tracks, but rarely is it on the same level (quantity wise) as the Pro 900's bass, which again, would be closer to the Beats.

Think of the D2000/5000 as amazing all-around headphones that just have really good bass, and think of the Pro 900/D1100 as basshead headphones that appeal to EDM/Hip Hop fans.

So you are saying the bass on the studios are better sounding the the denon d2000 and d5000?
and Are there any other headphones you would recommend that have better bass then the bass, like a subwoofer sounding bass lol?

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #3,317 of 5,992
Well the Beats' bass isn't exactly Hi-Fi, I would call it "bloated" or "bad." 

Qaulity is far more important in my eyes. Also, you kept saying J$ pads for the D2K, don't they reduce the bass?

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #3,318 of 5,992
All of the headphones I mentioned in the previous post have better bass than the Beats, just the quantity is more or less in some cases.  
Loud bass != good bass.

The Pro 900 is probably the best between quality and quantity, whereas the D1100 is less quality but more quantity, and the D2000/D5000 is more quality and less quantity, all relative to each other.

I love the D5000 for Electronic, Hip Hop and Metal, but for someone coming from the Beats, I'd imagine you'd find their bass too quiet.  I suggest going with the Pro 900 or D1100.  If you plan on getting a complete system (DAC and amp), get the Pro 900, otherwise, get the Denon.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #3,319 of 5,992
problem is , is that it is preference.  Some people looking for "subwoofer" bass with buy pro 900s and love it , and some will get it and not like it.

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #3,321 of 5,992

Quote:
Well the Beats' bass isn't exactly Hi-Fi, I would call it "bloated" or "bad." 

Qaulity is far more important in my eyes. Also, you kept saying J$ pads for the D2K, don't they reduce the bass?

Thats what i was saying. And idk i read online about users with j money pads, such amp ect.

Quote:
All of the headphones I mentioned in the previous post have better bass than the Beats, just the quantity is more or less in some cases.  
Loud bass != good bass.

The Pro 900 is probably the best between quality and quantity, whereas the D1100 is less quality but more quantity, and the D2000/D5000 is more quality and less quantity, all relative to each other.

I love the D5000 for Electronic, Hip Hop and Metal, but for someone coming from the Beats, I'd imagine you'd find their bass too quiet.  I suggest going with the Pro 900 or D1100.  If you plan on getting a complete system (DAC and amp), get the Pro 900, otherwise, get the Denon.

By quality you mean how good it is and quantity by how loud or is it the other way around.
If i were to buy the pro900 what amp and dac would you recommend?

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #3,323 of 5,992
Not to change the subject but I just got my Pro 900 back from the Ultrasone Repair Team. Now they replaced the left driver with a new one, and the right one has about 250+ hours. Holy crap the left driver's bass was CRAZY! made the right one sound weak and that is my "good" driver. So any disbelief I had about burn in is gone. This can really does change over time, but I still think some of if it has to do with your ears growing accustomed. The ear peircing highs I got when I first listened to this can are not present in the new driver.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #3,324 of 5,992
Pro 900s dont have subwoofer bass. They dont rattle your ears like say, the beats or hd-25s or headphones with good isolation have. This is definitely where the pro-900s loose. Subwoofer bass sounds uncontrolled and bloated, its why many people love the beats, its why I still think  the beats have a bit of credibility. If you want audiophile sound, but decent amount of bass i guess the pro-900s are good. But any headphone in the 200- range will get you good enough bass. If you want sub bass, look for quantity like many people have discussed, if you want quality, you will have to give up quantity, the pro 900s are the best quantity to quality as far as bass goes.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #3,325 of 5,992

Quote:
So i read this review and are you saying that these headphones have that subwoofer type bass? Im thinking of getting me a pair but i dont know im still considering the ah d2000 with j money pads, amp.

I still use beats by dre studios and i want to find a headphone that will destroy the beats in terms of bass. I think this might be the one.

Whats the price btw?

If you're wanting a more hi-fi sound than the Beats, Pro 900 sounds like the way to go. Most likely it will sound like it has less, but some bass boost or EQing should do the trick. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #3,326 of 5,992
Well, the thing is I don't know what I'm looking for. Just a different experience I guess. Something with pronounced mids, open soundstage, etc.

Quote:
I find that the Audio technica w1000x compliment the pro900 pretty well. But, it would be more helpful if you told us what you're looking for in this complimentary headphone?

Oct 14, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #3,327 of 5,992

Quote:
Well, the thing is I don't know what I'm looking for. Just a different experience I guess. Something with pronounced mids, open soundstage, etc.

Same here, looking at the Sennheiser HD650. Seems in my price range and sounds like it'd be a complete opposite of the Pro 900. Who knows maybe I can get someone to lend me theirs for a week.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #3,328 of 5,992
Well the hd-25s are far from subwoofer bass, they're really only mid bass oriented, sub bass extension on them isn't very pronounced. Denons have subwoofer bass according to others but it's is far higher quality than you would find in most other headphones. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #3,329 of 5,992
Not to change the subject but I just got my Pro 900 back from the Ultrasone Repair Team. Now they replaced the left driver with a new one, and the right one has about 250+ hours. Holy crap the left driver's bass was CRAZY! made the right one sound weak and that is my "good" driver. So any disbelief I had about burn in is gone. This can really does change over time, but I still think some of if it has to do with your ears growing accustomed. The ear peircing highs I got when I first listened to this can are not present in the new driver.

They don't swap out both drivers or just give you new headphones? Its going to sound a little weird for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back