Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3,286 of 5,992

Quote:
how does bass of pro 900s compare to bass on hd 650s on good amp?

and how do pro 900s compare to dt 770 - 80 ohm or dt 990 - 600 ohm?

im planning on buying dt 990 - 600 or the pro 900s but i dunno how they compare.

It's tough to compare the hd650 and pro900 bass. The hd650's bass is much more refined and better suited for a broader range of genres. The Pro900s bass is very bloated in comparison, but is absolutely ideal for electronic music. Everything about the sound signature of the 900s is tailored for electronic and dubstep like music. But to me with anything other than drum & bass and electronic the hd650 is a much superior headphone.

I can't speak on the dt770, but the dt line in general is THE MOST COMFORTABLE HEADPHONES EVER. But if you decide to go with the pro900 just make sure that you understand that it's not an all rounder. But where the 900 does well, it absolutely excels.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #3,287 of 5,992
what about dt 990 - 600 ohm for electronic music? 

i fear they might not be bass heavy or punchy enough, and that they might be too slow for electronic

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,288 of 5,992
I tried the dt990 dont remember how many ohms, i also tried the dt990 pros,250 ohms, I liked them better out of my ipod than i liked them my 900s. I liked both their basses of the dt990s better. I felt like the highs in the pro 900s took away from its bass.  

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #3,289 of 5,992
The DT990 are very quick headphones, and have solid bass response for open headphones.  They are unbelievably bright however, and I don't like Dubstep/Drum & Bass to be airy, I like it to be dark and heavy and dirty, and in that regard, the Pro 900 absolutely wins.  Bass quantity, impact, and extension is much greater on the Ultrasones.

I found the DT770 Pro 80ohm to be very good for its price, much preferable for EDM and hip hop than the DT990 600ohm.  

And IMO, the Denon line is more comfortable than the Beyer line, however they are still some of the most comfortable headphones you'll find.

Quote:
what about dt 990 - 600 ohm for electronic music? 

i fear they might not be bass heavy or punchy enough, and that they might be too slow for electronic

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #3,290 of 5,992
thanks, hmm seems the ultrasone might be the answer then if they have more bass, umm how do the mids on both the cans compare?

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #3,291 of 5,992

Quote:
thanks, hmm seems the ultrasone might be the answer then if they have more bass, umm how do the mids on both the cans compare?

Well with any bass heavy headphone, the mids will be recessed. I think it's the only complaint I have for the Pro 900. But if you want the Pro 900 sound with more airy sound to the music, I'd go with Pro 2900. I also think the 2900 suffer less from recessed mids because of the open back design. There's a few on this thread who have both and would gladly do a better compairison for you.

As for the the mids on the Dt 990, can't say since i've never heard.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #3,292 of 5,992
Quote:

I bought a set of custom IEMs because I travel a lot, and I gave my wife the choice of my full-size headphones with the expectation to sell the rest to offset the cost of my customs.  She chose the PRO900 over my heavily modified Grado SR225i, which had the smoothest, most musical mids of any can I've ever heard.  She listens mostly to pop, modern alternative, and acoustic.  The PRO900 is just that damn good.

Everyone says the mids are recessed, and they are, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.  As someone above said, what the PRO900 do well, they do better than any other can I've ever heard.  But what no one has said is that they actually do everything else very well, too.  They are by far my favorite headphones for female vocals, especially singers in the upper registers...every time I listen to a Nero song with Alana Watson on the track, I get goose pimples.  The only area I felt they were lacking were for male vocals in the middle of the range, where the perception of the frequency trough is the worst.  But, if the track was vocal centric--like Alice in Chain's MTV Unplugged album--it wasn't a problem.

So, in short...I'm a fan.  I miss them, and I'm stupidly happy that my wife chose to keep'em.

edit: I would also like to add that, as I've mentioned previously, these are capable of an utterly stupendous amount of bass.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #3,293 of 5,992
Isn't this a bit harsh on the pro900? They have more bass, but it's definitely not very bloated and unrefined in comparison. I'd also like to attest to what Benzoylmethyl said. I really think that the pro900 aren't bad all-rounders. In fact, I think they do classic rock, pop, and dub very well. They aren't my favorites for female vocals (prefer the w1000x), but I can see how someone can adore their pristine sound.

Quote:

It's tough to compare the hd650 and pro900 bass. The hd650's bass is much more refined and better suited for a broader range of genres. The Pro900s bass is very bloated in comparison, but is absolutely ideal for electronic music. Everything about the sound signature of the 900s is tailored for electronic and dubstep like music. But to me with anything other than drum & bass and electronic the hd650 is a much superior headphone.

I can't speak on the dt770, but the dt line in general is THE MOST COMFORTABLE HEADPHONES EVER. But if you decide to go with the pro900 just make sure that you understand that it's not an all rounder. But where the 900 does well, it absolutely excels.

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #3,295 of 5,992
I agree that the Pro 900 are faster than the Beyers, but the 990 was brighter than the 900 to me.  The 900's treble is more extended and aggressive maybe, but the 990's treble had more sibilance.  I'm not super sensitive to treble, as many people think both headphones are too harsh, though I could live with the treble on either.

Quote:
My DT-990/600 were not brighter than the PRO 900 and bass was slower. I think the Beyers fail for anything electronic.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #3,296 of 5,992
They do a lot of things well , i love these headphones to death.  If i had to use one word to describe them , it would be fast.   You can see where this would work, and in cases where it wouldn't.

edit: when i think slow, i think Denon 2000/5000/7000. 

So sometimes fast can reproduce accurate sound, and sometimes it creates clutter.

I think ultrasone in general is a fast/slow discussion.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #3,297 of 5,992
Having had almost exclusively Ultrasone headphones for the whole duration of my hifi journey, I'm now looking to find out what else headphones have to offer. Therefore I'm seeking a nice complement to my Pro 900's. I'd like something of "equal" fidelity but with a totally different sound signature. I'm not looking for something to replace my Pro 900's which I use primarily for electronic music and gaming, but rather something to better present other genres of music than the Pro 900 does. Surely someone in this thread must have had experience with other headphones than Ultrasone or Pro 900. Any ideas?

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #3,298 of 5,992

Quote:
Having had almost exclusively Ultrasone headphones for the whole duration of my hifi journey, I'm now looking to find out what else headphones have to offer. Therefore I'm seeking a nice complement to my Pro 900's. I'd like something of "equal" fidelity but with a totally different sound signature. I'm not looking for something to replace my Pro 900's which I use primarily for electronic music and gaming, but rather something to better present other genres of music than the Pro 900 does. Surely someone in this thread must have had experience with other headphones than Ultrasone or Pro 900. Any ideas?

Pretty much any headphone is gonna sound different than the Pro 900 since they have such a unique sound signature. I think something neutral like an HD600 is the perfect complement to the Ultrasone. The neutral and natural sounding HD600 falls in whenever the pronounced treble/bass and the artificial timbre of the Pro 900 doesn't fit with the music.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #3,299 of 5,992

Quote:
Pretty much any headphone is gonna sound different than the Pro 900 since they have such a unique sound signature. I think something neutral like an HD600 is the perfect complement to the Ultrasone. The neutral and natural sounding HD600 falls in whenever the pronounced treble/bass and the artificial timbre of the Pro 900 doesn't fit with the music.

+1

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #3,300 of 5,992
so pro 900 are better than the dt 990 for anything electronic as well as being bassier?

its a hard choice for me because i've had my eyes on those 990s for such a long time and i've heard great things about both cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back