Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #3,301 of 5,992
I think a lot of closed headphones are going to be better than the DT990 for electronic music.  It's an open headphone, and can't reproduce really powerful deep, impactful bass.  It has quite a bit of mid-bass, but subpar subbass for those types of genres.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #3,302 of 5,992

Quote:
so pro 900 are better than the dt 990 for anything electronic as well as being bassier?

its a hard choice for me because i've had my eyes on those 990s for such a long time and i've heard great things about both cans

Just do it. Don't look back. You won't regret it.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #3,303 of 5,992
Does anybody know where can I get the silver pads in UK? Or just any place that would ship to UK that has these pads in stock? Somehow I can't manage to find them. Or maybe somebody is willing to sell theirs? 
redface.gif

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #3,305 of 5,992
Definitely go with the Pro 900.  The DT 990 is a great headphone, no doubt, but for EDM, there is no comparison in my eyes.

Quote:
so pro 900 are better than the dt 990 for anything electronic as well as being bassier?

its a hard choice for me because i've had my eyes on those 990s for such a long time and i've heard great things about both cans

Try something like the AKG K701 or Sennheiser HD600

Quote:
Having had almost exclusively Ultrasone headphones for the whole duration of my hifi journey, I'm now looking to find out what else headphones have to offer. Therefore I'm seeking a nice complement to my Pro 900's. I'd like something of "equal" fidelity but with a totally different sound signature. I'm not looking for something to replace my Pro 900's which I use primarily for electronic music and gaming, but rather something to better present other genres of music than the Pro 900 does. Surely someone in this thread must have had experience with other headphones than Ultrasone or Pro 900. Any ideas?

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3,306 of 5,992
I find that the Audio technica w1000x compliment the pro900 pretty well. But, it would be more helpful if you told us what you're looking for in this complimentary headphone?

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #3,307 of 5,992

Quote:
Many people are sensitive to treble, others aren't.  Some people will find the Pro 900 much too harsh and bright, while many will find it pleasingly aggressive.  I can't understand not seeing them as bass heavy, however.  I've yet to hear a headphone with more bass (discounting maybe beats and sony xb500, and even then, it is very close).

I managed to get a demo of the Pro 900 today , have to say i really liked it ,but not quite what i was expecting , the treble was quite soft and pleasent ,not harsh at all ,the treble was quite tame comparied to the AKG Q701 and the pro 900 was by no means a bass monster ,my denon has way more bass ,but maybe that was due to the source being used for the demo,ipod touch and a small portable amp , 

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #3,308 of 5,992

Quote:
I managed to get a demo of the Pro 900 today , have to say i really liked it ,but not quite what i was expecting , the treble was quite soft and pleasent ,not harsh at all ,the treble was quite tame comparied to the AKG Q701 and the pro 900 was by no means a bass monster ,my denon has way more bass ,but maybe that was due to the source being used for the demo,ipod touch and a small portable amp , 

exactly, i keep looking for the bass people are talking about. They are not boomy at all. I don't know which headphones people compare them too when it comes to bass. I know its not me cause i've had none audiophiles comapare them for me, I feel like sometimes people here bias their headphones just cause its the the ones they own/ haven't tried others. A big problem i had with these was isolation. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3,309 of 5,992

Oct 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #3,310 of 5,992
So i read this review and are you saying that these headphones have that subwoofer type bass? Im thinking of getting me a pair but i dont know im still considering the ah d2000 with j money pads, amp.

I still use beats by dre studios and i want to find a headphone that will destroy the beats in terms of bass. I think this might be the one.

Whats the price btw?

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #3,311 of 5,992

Quote:
So i read this review and are you saying that these headphones have that subwoofer type bass? Im thinking of getting me a pair but i dont know im still considering the ah d2000 with j money pads, amp.

I still use beats by dre studios and i want to find a headphone that will destroy the beats in terms of bass. I think this might be the one.

Whats the price btw?

if you like the beats, you might be careful about getting pro 900s , they might not be your cup of tea.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #3,312 of 5,992

Quote:
if you like the beats, you might be careful about getting pro 900s , they might not be your cup of tea.

I do like the beats, they have good bass, comfort but i bought them before i joined head fi. I even bought the pros i was obsessed with beats but now i regret buying them. I read alot of headphones and the ones that interested me are denon and ultrasone

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #3,313 of 5,992
Maybe try the Denon D1100? They're supposed to have insane amounts of bass

Quote:
I do like the beats, they have good bass, comfort but i bought them before i joined head fi. I even bought the pros i was obsessed with beats but now i regret buying them. I read alot of headphones and the ones that interested me are denon and ultrasone

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #3,315 of 5,992
I find the bass to be huge and powerful on the Pro 900, but the last few posters have disagreed, and I'll admit that few headphones have the bass quantity of the Beats.  I believe the D1100 has more bass quantity than the Pro 900, and I'll bet that its of better quality than the Beats, so that seems like an easy choice for you.

The D2000/5000 might not have the bass you're looking for.  It is hits with authority and goes as deep as any headphone I've heard, and it can really dominate on certain tracks, but rarely is it on the same level (quantity wise) as the Pro 900's bass, which again, would be closer to the Beats.

Think of the D2000/5000 as amazing all-around headphones that just have really good bass, and think of the Pro 900/D1100 as basshead headphones that appeal to EDM/Hip Hop fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back