Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #2,463 of 5,992
 I already posted it, but I have the XB1000's and AH-D1100's right now, and I also had deep cup Darth Beyers. Off Topic: OMG I just felt tremors from an earthquake, that was really scary. That has never happened here before.

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2,466 of 5,992
Slickman, I'd be VERY interested to hear your thoughts on how the Pro 900 compares to the XB1000.  Please post impressions 
L3000.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #2,467 of 5,992
 I was trying to find posts comparing the Pro 900s to Darth Beyers but I couldn't find any. The Darths have the deepest bass I've ever heard on a headphone. I guess I'll find out tomorrow, can't wait! I did see comparisons between the stock DT770 and the 900s, and the 770 got smoked every time.
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #2,468 of 5,992
I want to upgrade my amp as my opamp627 is too warm. I don't like the added weight and tamed highs.

The Yulong U100 seems to be perfectly neutral and is killer for the money (150 €). But I don't need a USB connection. I use my iPhone 32GB for music most of the time anyway so I want to get a (semi-)portable (does not need a battery) amp that is neutral like a Lehmann.
All objective reviews so far say that all of the FiiO line-up is colored.

So what else is there for the price of 150 € that can challenge the U100?

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #2,469 of 5,992

Quote:
I tried using my Pro 900 "unamped" out of my Cowon i9. While it might sound good compared to W4 (which I havent heard), it doesn't sound nearly as good as when amped by my Asgard. Unamped the Pro 900 has uncontrolled bass and a shrill treble with a horrible metallic tonality. An amp really smoothens out the shrill treble, the bass becomes tighter and slams harder and the soundstage/imaging improves. And above all, it will sound much more natural, not as "fake sounding" Ultrasones are often accused of.
I have a Violectric V200 on the way, I can't wait to hear how much more I can squeeze out of the Pro 900!

Oh gosh be sure to post/link your impressions here! I've been saying all along that the V200 appears to be the perfect amp for the 900s-hope I'm right!

To the other poster-I MUCH preferred the silver pads to the black pads-search some of my posts. In a nutshell, they tamed the bass down a decent amount, and in turn brought the mids out a bit while revealing a LOT more detail in the midrange that had previously been covered up. All in all making it a much more balanced headphone.

Regarding the Blue Dragon cable-there are quite a few posters who have claimed drastic differences with it-while only one poster IIRC that stated no change to his ears with it. And before the cable haters continue to chime in without experiencing it: It's more of the GAUGE of the cable that is making the change. Massive bass headphone>>wimpy stock cable=not ideal. I believe it was HaloXT who made some great points regarding this with the 900s.

-Daniel

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #2,470 of 5,992
Actually the only reason I considered getting a Black Dragon is because the stock cable was hefty. Long too, I believe 12 feet
confused_face(1).gif
 and with two XLR ends. Not suitable for portable use.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #2,475 of 5,992

Quote:
Regarding the Blue Dragon cable-there are quite a few posters who have claimed drastic differences with it-while only one poster IIRC that stated no change to his ears with it. And before the cable haters continue to chime in without experiencing it: It's more of the GAUGE of the cable that is making the change. Massive bass headphone>>wimpy stock cable=not ideal. I believe it was HaloXT who made some great points regarding this with the 900s.

-Daniel

Dude, usually I agree with your posts, but scientifically speaking, that's ********.  The maximum wire length for two conductor wire (before the length causes the wire resistance to exceed the impedence of the speaker) at 22awg is something like 60 feet for a 40 Ohm load.  So unless HaloXT uses his PRO900 while taking a dump in a bathroom on the other side of the house from his system, I doubt that the gauge of the Blue Dragon would have made any difference at all, much less a discernible difference.

edit:  Well, unless Ultrasone uses 36AWG wire for their headphones stock. That might reduce the length to around 10ft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back