Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #2,446 of 5,992

Quote:
I hate surgeries and glueing..
I think i will skip the JMoney pads...
Good luck to anybody who will try the change..

If you go back a few pages, I've got pics of XB700 pads on my PRO900.  I cut the old crap off the velour spare pads's mounting screw and used crazy glue to attach them to the XB700 pads.  It took me about 20 minutes total because of the multifilament nylon mesh on the back of the PRO900 foam.  And it was worth every second of my time.  Hell, it was worth sacrificing my $70 XB700.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #2,447 of 5,992
Ahh hmm as they say you won't forget your first love, headphones.

I've almost finished setting up my new home set up on my new room from new monitors, keyboard,chairs and the like. I felt like there was something missing. Headphones.
No doubt my Westone 4 sounds so good on the genres I used to listen to it but not the ones I currently am which is dubstep, house, kpop,etc.

Problem is, I didn't really want to a headphone that needs to be amped to make the most out of, as I was reading some reviews and some insights on the PRO 900's I think I've hit the spot but I was still unsure of my decision.
One question I'd like to ask is, would it be worth selling the Westone 4 and getting a PRO 900 without an amp and not be underwhelmed by the sound?

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #2,449 of 5,992
I tried using my Pro 900 "unamped" out of my Cowon i9. While it might sound good compared to W4 (which I havent heard), it doesn't sound nearly as good as when amped by my Asgard. Unamped the Pro 900 has uncontrolled bass and a shrill treble with a horrible metallic tonality. An amp really smoothens out the shrill treble, the bass becomes tighter and slams harder and the soundstage/imaging improves. And above all, it will sound much more natural, not as "fake sounding" Ultrasones are often accused of.
I have a Violectric V200 on the way, I can't wait to hear how much more I can squeeze out of the Pro 900!

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #2,451 of 5,992
I agree with Aizura..
A good amp definitely makes a difference..
At least it does for me.
It's like when you enter the world of amps you can never go back..

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #2,452 of 5,992

Quote:
Those of you who said these headphones are extremely finicky weren't kidding. Head and ear placement completely changes the sound profile. I really wonder how much the JMoney pads modify these beasts. 

This is another thing the XB700 pads have fixed.  Because I made sure I had them nicely centered on the locking sprocket (lol), my ears are always centered.  I don't ever have to worry about that, at least.  I have noticed that because there's so much padding I can tilt the cups a lot more, but the effects that has on the sound are negligible.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #2,453 of 5,992
 My search for the perfect hip hop basshead headphone continues. I currently have the Sony MDR-XB1000's and the Denon AH-D1100's, I've also had a pair of deep cup Darth Beyers. Out of the 3 I like the sound of the AH-D1100's the best, but the bass just isn't enough. The Darth Beyers had the deepest bass of the 3, but other than the bass, I didn't really like the sound. The XB1000's have pretty good bass but it isn't as deep as the Beyers and it isn't very detailed bass, the highs are very good though. Anyway, so why am I in this thread? Well, after searching and searching for my next can to try, I've decided that the Pro 900 looks to be the best choice. So.... I just ordered the Pro 900s AND a Blue Dragon V3 cable to go with it. So what do you guys think, did I make a good choice?

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #2,455 of 5,992

Quote:
With the PRO900, hell yes.  With the Blue Dragon...well, it's your money.

This. There's a reason there's so much debate with audio cables. I personally wouldn't expect a change that really reflects the price, even if you think you can hear a difference.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #2,456 of 5,992
The thing is with amped Ultrasones, I could only hear subtle improvements. But overall I "feel" the upgraded sound. When my Ultrasones are amped (FiiO E9), the music feels like it comes out so smooth and effortlessly. It was this sort of finesse that really showed me what amps can do for the first time. I canNOT listen w/o my E9 anymore. Even the E7 by itself is lacking to my ears.

But yea, like most people say, they sound pretty good w/o an amp still!

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2,457 of 5,992
I haven't noticed that much an improvement going from just X-Fi Titanium HD to X-Fi Titanium HD with FiiO E9. The only difference I've noticed is that bass is much more controlled when EQ'ed higher. Without EQ the sound is the same with or without the E9. I guess I didn't notice much improvement since the Titanium HD is decent at amping to begin with, but for anyone with a DAC on or about the same level as the Titanium HD I wouldn't recommend wasting money on an amp. Now, the E9 is a cheap amp, so I can't say if more expensive/better amps would make a more significant difference but then I assume those amps are not only amping but also coloring the sound and then they should be bought for the coloration and not the amping.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #2,459 of 5,992
I too recently tried my Pro 900s out of my Cowon J3, and it was missing its body.  The bass, the mids, the treble were all there, but the music had no weight and sounded a bit shrill.  Amped through my M-Stage, the shrillness is gone and the music has a great, deep tone and weight to it.  I think they are enjoyable unamped, but as someone who is used to amping them, they sound less than optimal without one.

And yes, the Pro 900s do a great job with Hip Hop.  Deep bass, hard impact, the extra forward vocals on most rap songs are right where they need to be (the slightest bit further back), and everything sounds lively and energetic; how you want Hip Hop to sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back