Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #1,621 of 5,992
I'm not sure if this is against the rules, but I have a pair for sale in the FS section for a good price including the Blue Dragon cable and silver velour pads.  I'd take $350 for it all.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #1,622 of 5,992
I got my PRO 2900s, currently burning in, one problem
the cable is too short, and Ultrasone charges $30 for extention cables, its rediculous that its not long enough, I'm just sitting at my computer which is on top of my desk and it barely reaches. Does it really matter if I get a cheapie $3 cable or use some old extention cable my dad has laying around? I'd rather not put another $30 into these the first day.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,623 of 5,992

Quote:
I got my PRO 2900s, currently burning in, one problem
the cable is too short, and Ultrasone charges $30 for extention cables, its rediculous that its not long enough, I'm just sitting at my computer which is on top of my desk and it barely reaches. Does it really matter if I get a cheapie $3 cable or use some old extention cable my dad has laying around? I'd rather not put another $30 into these the first day.

Use the coiled cable :wink:. The straight cable is for portable use I'm pretty sure.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #1,624 of 5,992
Alright after spending a few minutes fighting with the coiled cable I have I ended up stretching it and putting something on it to keep it uncoiled. It takes more force to uncoil the cable than for the cable to pull on the headphones enough to make them uncomfotable. I'm hoping I'm making sense here, its a lot stiffer than the old fashioned phone cords.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #1,625 of 5,992

Quote:

Quote:

I've been researching for a while now, it seems the cheapest place is eBay. I mentioned before I got them for 300 shipped, but that was with a 10% ebay coupon. It seems other people in this thread were able to submit an offer of $320 to a certain dealer on eBay and they accepted(forgot from who, around pages 1-5). But considering they retail for 4 hundo on amazon, 320-330 is a steal!

That was buyauthorized, but he has since raised the the price and I think the lowest he's taken recently is $340.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #1,626 of 5,992

Quote:
Alright after spending a few minutes fighting with the coiled cable I have I ended up stretching it and putting something on it to keep it uncoiled. It takes more force to uncoil the cable than for the cable to pull on the headphones enough to make them uncomfotable. I'm hoping I'm making sense here, its a lot stiffer than the old fashioned phone cords.

The coiled cable is pretty long... 3 meters (10 ft) and designed to stay coiled. What the devil are you up to over there? How far from your source do you really need to go?

Also, awesome neck bro...

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #1,627 of 5,992
10ft? Like I said I'm just sitting at my computer, I'd like to run it around the desk so the cord isn't on my mouse/keyboard. If there was some way I could get the coil to, you know, uncoil it would be fine, but just leaning back in my chair it starts to pull the headphones off. I'm about 2ft from the computer, here's a pic.

U'm running it under one of the feet of the keyboard right now, keeps it out of the way, but its still annoying. I'm really just nitpicking I guess, these sound amazing.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #1,629 of 5,992

Quote:
Has anyone hooked the 900's straight into an AV Receiver? FYI, I'm running a Yamaha RX-V1067 as the "amplified" unit in my HT.

I plan to buy a dedicated desktop headamp in the future. Requiring impressions of those who do/have.

I run mine out of a Denon AVR 891 receiver and it sounds great. I don't have a dedicated amp, for comparison, but it sounds noticeably better out of the receiver than an ipod, laptop, or other portable DAP.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #1,630 of 5,992

Quote:
10ft? Like I said I'm just sitting at my computer, I'd like to run it around the desk so the cord isn't on my mouse/keyboard. If there was some way I could get the coil to, you know, uncoil it would be fine, but just leaning back in my chair it starts to pull the headphones off. I'm about 2ft from the computer, here's a pic.

I would call Ultrasone, it is supposed to come with a 3 meter coiled cable, and a 1.5 meter straigth (portable) cable.

Below is from their website on the 2900 product page. And it's exactly what came with my pro900s.
Quote:

PRO BOX CONTENTS

1. Professional headphones
  2. 2 detachable USC-cables:
    one straight (length ca. 1.5 m),
    one coiled (length > 3 m, with Neutrik connector) with gold-plated jacks 6,3 mm
  3. Velvet speed-switch earpads (incl. spare earpads)
  4. Demo CD
  5. Instruction manual

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #1,631 of 5,992

Quote:

I run mine out of a Denon AVR 891 receiver and it sounds great. I don't have a dedicated amp, for comparison, but it sounds noticeably better out of the receiver than an ipod, laptop, or other portable DAP.

Excellent news. I assumed it would definitely be better than a DAP!  Thanks mate. Makes me feel that I don't need to "rush out and buy a headamp!"

I'm nearing my next "Head-Fi purchase". These 900's look promising.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #1,632 of 5,992
That's strange, their manual quoted both cables as 3m, I'm going to have to do some measuring.I'm glad this is my only complaint with the headphones. They are getting better by the hour.
I'm doing on head burn in.

wait, is the coiled cable >3m only when stretched, or is that 3m coiled plus whatever you get with the coil?

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #1,633 of 5,992
there is someone that knows or someplace(on the web) where to find some informations about ultrasone warranty policy? I went on their website and I cannot find anything. I sent a e-mail for asking some technical infos some last week and they doesn't answer. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,634 of 5,992
I got the manual here right in front of me. It still leaves me with a few questions, but here is a copy of what it says.

Warranty:
We wish you a lot of pleasure with your new headphones. If, despite any expectation, problems arise, please refer to your authorized dealer.
A possible warranty may be claimed in all countries outside the USA, where legal provisions do not stand in the way of guaranteeing.
Please note that possible warranty claims toward ULTRASONE AG are void in case of operating errors, improper operation, electric and mechanical damage, as well as in the case of improper repairs of unauthorised workshops.
Excluded from possible warranty claims are parts that are subject to natural wear and tear during the usage such as earpads for instance.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #1,635 of 5,992
bah, fed-ex said they delivered my pro 900's on the tracking website. Also said they we're delivered with no need for a signature, so seeing that information led me to believe there was a $300 package in my apt buildings foyer, where anyone off the street could easily swoop them up...

knowing that I freaked out, as they would be good as gone- so I decided to rush out of work in the middle of a huge deadline to go make sure they were there... I run home in the middle of city traffic and don't see any package, but look up to find a door slip... phew

wasted time, but better than no slip at all

surprisingly it shipped in one day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back