Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,606 of 5,992
Haha congratulations.  
beerchug.gif
  Please share your impressions on this thread once you get them! 

Quote:
BAM

done... $330 w/ free shipping down to $300 w/ free shipping because of some 10% coupon I had from eBay... Actually I didn't see it the first time I purchased, but I asked them to cancel the first order and then I applied the coupon on a re-purchase. Got it from beachcamera. Shipping from NJ, so to nyc it should be here by friday/monday at the latest... can't wait

wooooooo

ugh...$$$

now time to sell off all my extras... anyone interested in an AMB Mini^3 amp? or perhaps the HD650 (580 w/ 650 drivers)? or perhaps my grado sr225, if I realize the pro900 will be the only can I'm using

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #1,607 of 5,992
also the pro 900 pads are a little deeper than the dt's, but as you know the dt's have that incredibly plush and soft inner padding that your ear presses up against. With the pro 900s if your ears are big enough they will press against the metal plate.

To sum it up in my reviews of the pro 900 and dt880 I scored the pro 900 a comfort score of 3.2 / 5 with the stock pads, 3.8 / 5 with the J$ denon pads, and I scored the dt880's comfort a 4.9 / 5.

But I'd pick the 900s over any dt any day 
dt880smile.png

Quote:
The Pro 900 is circumaural.  I owned the DT990 for a little while, and it was definitely more comfortable.  I fine the comfort on the Ultrasones just fine, but the Beyerdynamics are something special.  The velour pads on the 990 were incredibly soft, fluffy, and pillow like.  The velour on the Pro 900s are a bit more firm, but are still pretty soft.  If you've ever tried the AKG K701, those have even firm velour pads, but I found them very comfortable.  The way I see it, the Pro 900's velour pads sit in between the K701's and the DT990's in terms of softness and comfort.

Hope that helped.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #1,608 of 5,992
I can answer the comfort part...I've owned the Pro 900s for a while, have owned the Beyer DT880/600s, and the Denon D7000s.   The Pro 900s are uncomfortable compared to Beyers and Denons. You can wear them and not notice that they are uncomfortable, but once you wear the Beyers or the Denons, it becomes painfully obvious with the differences comfort-wise between the different brands.  

The Beyers are very comfortable and are soft - and the velour keeps a cold feeling to them and don't really get warm.  They feel as if they have been sitting in the AC and are soft....very nice.  The Denons are soft too, very comfortable, but do get warm... Not hot or sweaty (at least in my experience and I wear them for 4-6 hours at a time) but definitely do not have that cold feeling to them that the Beyers have.

If I had to choose, I'd say Beyer, Denon, and I wouldn't even rank Pro 900s on the list when compared to the other two.  I had to constantly shift them a little bit and take them off after a couple of hours then put them back on.  The Beyers and Denons you can put them on and forget they are there.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,610 of 5,992

Quote:
Thank you very much to everyone!! I have the beyerdynamic dt880 and they are very comfortables. I can use glasses and I don't have any problem wearing them. How is the clamping force? 

They clamp pretty good but its not that bad.  It's primarily the material used in the pads that cause strain after a while...at least for me.

PS.  Going from the Beyers to the Pros, you will notice they are far less comfortable.   However, if you have not had the Beyers or the Denons, then the Pros are not that bad.  Plus, if you are a bass head, and prefer the sound of the Pro 900s, the reduction in comfort is worth what the Pro 900s bring to the table.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,612 of 5,992

Quote:
Man I'm in love with these, got them this monday and I was blown away. I just want to listen to all my electronica at the same time.XD

They are 100% absolutely amazing for electronic music.  It seems as if they were designed for it.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,615 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on these but I just wanted to see if anyone here has compared the Pro900 to the aiaiai TMA-1 in terms of bass? I've previously owned the tma-1 and really enjoyed its bass and I've been without them for 5 months now and I really miss it. Will my craving be satiated? 

I'm also really split on the 900 vs 2900. I already have the hfi-2200 and I'm really split on which would be the better upgrade.

I can field that one for you.... The Pro 900 bass is in a whole other league, especially in terms of quality. The TMA-1 has much more of a thick bass, unresolved, flabby, etc. With the Pro 900 you actually hear the character of a drum (and hear its skin resonating), whereas with the TMA-1 it's just a generic tump-tump. I think that's the biggest difference. 

What sort of DAP will you be using? Will you have an amp? They do improve substantially as you feed them more current (but they are darn good straight out of a DAP and can be used satisfactorily that way, no problem). Best of luck in your decisions.....

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #1,616 of 5,992

Quote:
They clamp pretty good but its not that bad.  It's primarily the material used in the pads that cause strain after a while...at least for me.

PS.  Going from the Beyers to the Pros, you will notice they are far less comfortable.   However, if you have not had the Beyers or the Denons, then the Pros are not that bad.  Plus, if you are a bass head, and prefer the sound of the Pro 900s, the reduction in comfort is worth what the Pro 900s bring to the table.

I am looking for these because their bass. But as I like an airy sound, I think I would go for the 2900 model. I have not found any comments about these headphones, so I can only suppose that they have slightly less bass than the pro 900 and more soundstage. 
I am hesitant between these and the beyerdynamic 990. It could be possible that ultrasone's velour pads aren't of so high quality. Maybe is this the reason because they get warm

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #1,617 of 5,992
The DT990 has good bass for an open headphone, and definitely has that open sound, but the Pro 900's bass is much better, IMO, in both quantity and quality.  The Beyers are also much brighter, even though the Ultrasones are pretty bright themselves.  If you primarily listen to EDM, there is no question that the Pro 900s are superior.  For everything else, however, it will depend on the sound sig you prefer.

Quote:
I am looking for these because their bass. But as I like an airy sound, I think I would go for the 2900 model. I have not found any comments about these headphones, so I can only suppose that they have slightly less bass than the pro 900 and more soundstage. 
I am hesitant between these and the beyerdynamic 990. It could be possible that ultrasone's velour pads aren't of so high quality. Maybe is this the reason because they get warm

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #1,619 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm willing to try these again, but I'm curious to how they run with the EF5. Anyone using that combo?

oh now your gonna try them again after ditching them for the ad700 eh! lol

well after reading your catastrophe, i have the ad700's in the mail. This will be my first open headphone.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,620 of 5,992

Quote:
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on these...where can I find these for the cheapest US price online? Thanks!

I've been researching for a while now, it seems the cheapest place is eBay. I mentioned before I got them for 300 shipped, but that was with a 10% ebay coupon. It seems other people in this thread were able to submit an offer of $320 to a certain dealer on eBay and they accepted(forgot from who, around pages 1-5). But considering they retail for 4 hundo on amazon, 320-330 is a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back