Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,081 of 5,992

Quote:
Oh and regarding burn-in, I'm not sure whether it's placebo, messing with the pads or indeed; burn-in but after around 30 hours of use, the bass has tightened up noticably and has receeded from the mid-range a little.

I don't think it is... when I first put them on, the bass was very boomy.. sloppy and slow. It made metal unlistenable, however lots of electronica and other style were ok.
20 hours or so of burn in later the bass was nice and tight and fast. Metal sounded great, and electronic even better.

I'm inclined not to believe reports of 100's of hours, but the first 10-30 hours saw noticeable, and continuous change... alllll for the better
atsmile.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #1,082 of 5,992
I think the Kee mod is absolutely excellent !
It make this headphones sound more balanced while bringing the mids alot closer and making the bass from bloated to tight.

I gotta admit I did not like the stock sound of the 900 and even now I take off the the kee mod to compare and again I get reassured that the mod is just imo necessary for a more balanced sound from this headphone. Stock just sounds too congested and sibilant for me and have this wierd effect of having vocals layed through out the whole soundstage without any body or position to them(problaby due to s-logic). IMO the mod fixed this and just makes them more euphonic.

I recommend the Kee mod! big thanks to him for it!!

Note: I recieved the Jmoney V3 pads yesterday and have finally finished modding and placing them on the 900's. I will post impressions later.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #1,083 of 5,992
I got a pair of the silver velour pads in today. I really like the way they look over the black. And they don't show cat hair from home so much... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,084 of 5,992
Anyone here tried the Kees mode and is content about it?
I'm considering Kees modding mine and I'm uncertain if it's worth it and actually improves the sound..

ccn, nice! it looks great and I like the uHA-120! I promise i'll get one as soon as I refill my bank account funds... after the HD 800 purchase and SPL Auditor :)

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #1,085 of 5,992
Ha ha ha, sounds like you have other priorities currently!! 

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,086 of 5,992

Quote:
Spot on. :wink:  
When I first unboxed them I messed around with the pads and I think I reversed them, after swapping them back around everything sounds perfect. I'm not sure whether it was the reversing the pads or the re-seating that helped but obviously the pads make a HUGE difference.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to what you've actually done to solve your problem? I didn't think there was a specific left and right ear pad.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #1,087 of 5,992

Quote:

Spot on. :wink:

When I first unboxed them I messed around with the pads and I think I reversed them, after swapping them back around everything sounds perfect. I'm not sure whether it was the reversing the pads or the re-seating that helped but obviously the pads make a HUGE difference. You guys probably already knew that but it's news to me, so I'll take more care with them in future.

I know I've already said it but these cans are incredible, I thought my Beyerdynamic DT990's were excellent but these just blow it away, and apparently there's more to come with adequate burn-in! I can't wait. If anyone out there is looking for great all-rounders with a lean towards electronica then you need to SERIOUSLY consider these headphones, especially if you're a bass-head (like me).

Oh and regarding burn-in, I'm not sure whether it's placebo, messing with the pads or indeed; burn-in but after around 30 hours of use, the bass has tightened up noticably and has receeded from the mid-range a little.

Thanks!

I just recieved mine 2 weeks ago (the 900's) I knew about the pads because I also own the Pro 650's.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #1,088 of 5,992
It sounds to me like it was a re-seating issue. I remember the first time I took the pads off, and then put them back on and listened... the difference in the side with one of the little clips not totally in place was major. Then you quickly learn that you have to apply some firm even pressure across the whole pad surface while rotating it back in place for it to securely lock in.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,090 of 5,992

Quote:
Sorry, I'm a bit confused as to what you've actually done to solve your problem? I didn't think there was a specific left and right ear pad.

Well, I took the left pad and put it on the right, like-wise for the other. Whether it was the act of reversing the pads that fixed it or just re-seating them as "DJ LP" said to do, I don't know. If you have the same problem as me, just mess with your pads a bit, chances are, they could be causing the problem. I don't think there are specific left and right pads as they're not marked (as far as I know) and they look exactly the same, so my guess would be it was the mere act of re-seating them that fixed it.

Quote:

I don't think it is... when I first put them on, the bass was very boomy.. sloppy and slow. It made metal unlistenable, however lots of electronica and other style were ok.
20 hours or so of burn in later the bass was nice and tight and fast. Metal sounded great, and electronic even better.

I'm inclined not to believe reports of 100's of hours, but the first 10-30 hours saw noticeable, and continuous change... alllll for the better
atsmile.gif

Couldn't agree more. :)

If these babies have matured so much after 10-30 hours of usage, I'm wetting my boxers in anticipation of the upcoming 200-400 hours. :D

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,091 of 5,992

Quote:
I just recieved mine 2 weeks ago (the 900's) I knew about the pads because I also own the Pro 650's.

Aaaaah OK, makes sense.

I also own a pair of PRO 2500's  but I never experienced that problem before. Thanks for sharing your wisdom though. :)

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #1,093 of 5,992

Quote:
I got a pair of the silver velour pads in today. I really like the way they look over the black. And they don't show cat hair from home so much... 
biggrin.gif

Is the material exactly the same, or is the silver version more like Beyer pads (slipperier, softer)?

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #1,094 of 5,992

Quote:
biggrin.gif

What cable is that you're using?

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #1,095 of 5,992
I would also like a pair of the silver, (if only for looks, and to have another pair to switch out every once and a while), where did you order them from?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back