Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #706 of 5,992
Basically you can say the same thing about any mod that was done to any headphone, didnt sennheiser think removing foams from hd650 would make it sound better? and list goes on.. All I am saying is that I love the sound, you have to try for yourself though.

Quote:
This might be a real stupid question but what are those wire things on the pads?
And i'm not saying that the pads don't add better SQ for the Pro 900 in your experience, but wouldn't ultrasone put earpads on the Pro's like the something along the lines of the J$'s if it were to make the overall SQ better. There must be a reason why they chose their stock pads correct?

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #707 of 5,992

Quote:
Basically you can say the same thing about any mod that was done to any headphone, didnt sennheiser think removing foams from hd650 would make it sound better? and list goes on.. All I am saying is that I love the sound, you have to try for yourself though.

Good Point. I don't doubt you hopefully more people try the mod so we can get an overall opinion. I am getting the Pro's just being patient trying to find a good price.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #708 of 5,992
There is mint pro 900 in classified section for excellent price. I personally highly recommend Jmoney pads. excellent, excellent edition to head phones! now where are my blue dragon cables!?

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #709 of 5,992

Quote:
There is mint pro 900 in classified section for excellent price. I personally highly recommend Jmoney pads. excellent, excellent edition to head phones! now where are my blue dragon cables!?

Just saw that ad. Good look.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #710 of 5,992
Count me in! I just paid B&H $410 shipped for a pair, and I'm pretty excited. I would also like some more in depth comparisons/impressions regarding the J$s. I owned them for my old D2000's and they were definitely a worthy investment. FWIW, I will be using my Pro 900s with a Reference 9 and modded m-stage. Now the 7-14 wait til BH ships them because they are out of stock...and another 2 week burn in. :frowning2:

-Daniel

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #711 of 5,992
Hello, I own the Ultrasone Pro650's and I like them a lot. I purchased the 900's about a month ago (still waiting for them to come in). Now I listen to jazz as well as a little classical. Let me tell you this, there is a lot of jazz music with very deep bass. I don't know if the people complaining listen to speakers at all. If they do I would probably think that they have bookshelf speakers that sound good but do not produce deep bass. I have Dynaudio 2.5T's (speakers) and M&K MX200's (subs). My problem with headphones have always been the fact that they never gave me the type of bass (quantity and articulation) that I was looking for. The 650's are the closest so far. I can't wait to hear the 900's, whenever Guitar Center get's them.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #712 of 5,992
The PRO900 driver is higher resolution all around. Plan to match it with better components, as it will show more flaws than the PRO650's.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #713 of 5,992
What kind of comparisons between different heaphone drivers have you already made?

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #714 of 5,992
To all who are interested in purchasing the Jmoney pads, here is a quote from another thread on Ultrasone edition 10 ear pad issues:

"I was told by Randy Fuchs, that the Ed10s feature a unique, offset-driver design and the ear pads material, shape, etc., must be of exacting standards and material to calibrate the acoustics differential resulting from that design.  If that isn't done correctly, the Ed10s behave and sound like a badly tuned custom IEM.   This explains why those defective earpads have made such as negative impact on overall SQ for those unfortunate owners--including me--who got one of those units."

I'm not dissuade you guys from purchasing them, it's just a heads up. You never know, maybe Jmoney accidentally engineered pads that perfectly fit the acoutics of the pro 900's ear cups.
wink_face.gif

Here is a link to the thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537883/where-do-the-ultrasone-edition-10-fit-in-to-the-ranking-of-high-end-headphones/60

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #715 of 5,992
Okey, this is getting comical now. Just give it a try.

Quote:
To all who are interested in purchasing the Jmoney pads, here is a quote from another thread on Ultrasone edition 10 ear pad issues:

"I was told by Randy Fuchs, that the Ed10s feature a unique, offset-driver design and the ear pads material, shape, etc., must be of exacting standards and material to calibrate the acoustics differential resulting from that design.  If that isn't done correctly, the Ed10s behave and sound like a badly tuned custom IEM.   This explains why those defective earpads have made such as negative impact on overall SQ for those unfortunate owners--including me--who got one of those units."

I'm not dissuade you guys from purchasing them, it's just a heads up. You never know, maybe Jmoney accidentally engineered pads that perfectly fit the acoutics of the pro 900's ear cups.
wink_face.gif

Here is a link to the thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/537883/where-do-the-ultrasone-edition-10-fit-in-to-the-ranking-of-high-end-headphones/60

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #716 of 5,992
Quote:
Okey, this is getting comical now. Just give it a try.

We're just sceptical...
smile.gif

I think I'll pass for now, as i'm really enjoying them in their current form and either way I have a custom cable on it's way to look forward to.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #717 of 5,992
Congrats on cables and good luck been skeptical :)

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #718 of 5,992
Quote:

Are ya sure?
tongue.gif

I'm mostly a rock/metal listener so, while Grados are a perfect fit for my musical preferences, I just can't stand to wear the darned things! Most of the owners in this thread keep going on and on about how great they are with electronica/trance/other, but there isn't much mention of rock. How do guitars sound on these?

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #719 of 5,992
Hello guys, could you help an amateur like me please?

I want to purchase either the Ultrasone 2500's, the 900's or the 2900's.
The 2500's are cheaper and I thought I would get them, but if the new 9's are a lot better, I will go for them. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Also, I really don't know whether to get closed or open (900 or 2900/2500). I do mainly listen in quiet places like my room, but could someone please tell me the differences in sound between these models, open and closed?

E.G, whether one has more base, a wider soundstage, leaks more, etc etc.

Thanks very much!

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #720 of 5,992
Hi everyone - long time lurker of Head-Fi and especially this thread, almost daily actually haha.  I've pretty much decided on getting Pro 900s - either from buyauthorized or from B&H.  Just playing the waiting game now.
I just have a quick question for the FPS gamers out there who are using the Pro 900s for gaming in addition to music (first) of course :)

Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D for these cans for positional audio?  I realize a lot of it boils down to personal preference, what works best for each person, ymmv, etc but I"m just looking for thoughts.  How's the positional sound on these?  I've only heard short testimonials here and there but people seem to be pleasantly surprised by the ability of these, especially since they're closed.  I think it's pretty great that the headphone that seems to fit my sonic needs also for most intents and purposes fits my gaming needs as well :)

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

oh and @above I don't have hands on experience with any of those headphones but the closed model (the Pro 900) definitely has more bass and less leakage/more isolation.  Undoubtedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back