Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #241 of 5,992
Scytus-
Something else in the Ultrasone line perhaps? The 780s I have are quite nice, and they run just fine out of any DAP I've used them with. Of course they're not quite up to the level of refinement that the 900s have.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #242 of 5,992

Quote:
PRO 900... Space Helmet Mod?

Ultrasones have the most unique sound signature that I have heard thus far... Unfortunately there is no perfect headphone so there will always be compromises to be had.

I would say look towards Denons.

If there is such a thing..and if it wouldn't affect the sound.

Quote:
Quote:
PRO 900... Space Helmet Mod?

Ultrasones have the most unique sound signature that I have heard thus far... Unfortunately there is no perfect headphone so there will always be compromises to be had.

I would say look towards Denons.

Denons are actually semi-open and reportedly leak a little sound, so i am going to have to disagree.

I know the D2000's are considered as such, but I read the D1100's isolate well, and don't leak; or did I probably misunderstand?

Quote:
Scytus-
Something else in the Ultrasone line perhaps? The 780s I have are quite nice, and they run just fine out of any DAP I've used them with. Of course they're not quite up to the level of refinement that the 900s have.

I've actually been considering the HFI-580's (and Denon D1100's) for a while now, I enjoy bass. If I could save up to buy a closed solution (that has no leak problem), sounding comparable to the PRO900's airyness with a nice punchy bass, and no immediate need of an amp, I'd get that.

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #243 of 5,992
This headphone continues to impress with each passing day. The bass is just..you gotta hear it :)

As a D2000 owner I can confirm they leak and don't isolate well at all. and the build quality sucks. (imo)

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #245 of 5,992

Quote:
Scytus, the Sony  Z1000 looks like they isolate well.
Cn11, how is the bass on the Z1000 compared to the Pro900?

They're two very different animals. The Pro 900s have a huge, extended, somewhat round bass... while the Z1K has more of a taut, quick, and definitely much leaner bass. Two opposite flavors for sure. I personally like a really present low end, so I naturally gravitate toward the Ultrasone.... That's not to say that the Z1K is totally anemic, no way. They do represent it pretty nicely when music material calls for deep bass to be there. It's just not in the tactile, air moving sort of way that the Pro 900s can muster.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #246 of 5,992
I also own the ES10 and I'm surprised you found it to have more bass than the Pro900. I use the bass boost on my arrow with the es10 as I think it needs a little more, whereas bass boosting the Pro900 doesn't really feel necessary.

Quote:
The ES10 I had for a while had more bass than my Pro 900. I thought the Pro 900 was a better headphone overall and the isolation on the ES10 was just too bad to use as a portable so I sold it. The Pro900 was my first full size headphone and I have since collected quite few other cans, which I all enjoy for their different strenghs, but if I had to keep only one it will be the Pro900 without a doubt.
I am still very curious on the DX1000 and keep checking the sale forum but you have to be quick to snatch one.

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #247 of 5,992

Quote:
This headphone continues to impress with each passing day. The bass is just..you gotta hear it :)

As a D2000 owner I can confirm they leak and don't isolate well at all. and the build quality sucks. (imo)

I'm surprised you said the build quality sucks.  I'd be hard pressed to find a headphone that's built more solidly than the 900s. In that case, I'm curious which headphone you would consider to have good build quality.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #248 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:
Scytus, the Sony  Z1000 looks like they isolate well.
Cn11, how is the bass on the Z1000 compared to the Pro900?

They're two very different animals. The Pro 900s have a huge, extended, somewhat round bass... while the Z1K has more of a taut, quick, and definitely much leaner bass. Two opposite flavors for sure. I personally like a really present low end, so I naturally gravitate toward the Ultrasone.... That's not to say that the Z1K is totally anemic, no way. They do represent it pretty nicely when music material calls for deep bass to be there. It's just not in the tactile, air moving sort of way that the Pro 900s can muster.

Blah, any other contenders that have better isolation/leak management?

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #249 of 5,992
He was referring to the D2000's build quality.  While I think they look awesome, they are indeed quite fragile.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm surprised you said the build quality sucks.  I'd be hard pressed to find a headphone that's built more solidly than the 900s. In that case, I'm curious which headphone you would consider to have good build quality.

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #250 of 5,992

sorry about that; my comment was about the D2000s, not the 900s. The 900 build quality is definitely top-notch. My D2000s broke and I treated those things like a newborn.
Quote:
Quote:

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #251 of 5,992
The Pro 900s make long nights of homework and studying such a pleasure.  So easy to put them on, turn up some Trance, and just go to work.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #252 of 5,992
Yep, they sure are amazing headphones. It's funny, but I ordered them pretty much on a whim right on the heels of receiving the Z1000s (which I really liked when I got them), and now I don't want to listen to anything else. Previous to the Z1000 I got the TMA-1, and each phone has been highly enjoyed at first, but now with the Pro 900s things are simply kicked up to a whole new level. They're the first headphone which has satisfied the search on all levels right away. With the TMA-1s I felt they were slightly dark, but didn't realize just how much so until I got the Z1000s. With the Z1K I thought they were incredibly detailed, but had a somewhat narrow soundstage-- again, I had no idea how much until I picked up the Pro 900s. The Ultrasones have every bit of extension and detail that the Z1Ks do, but with a huge and well defined space. Then there's their bass. They seem to do it all so far. I have a feeling it will take quite a large step up to better them. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #253 of 5,992
Really makes me wonder about the 2900s 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #254 of 5,992
Yeah, I've wondered about them too, but they're open back. I have to stick to closed back for my listening situations, mainly being at work, and at night later on when I don't want any sound leakage to keep people awake.....

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #255 of 5,992
I would love to hear the 2900s, along with a few other Ultrasone models.  Namely the Edition 8s, 9s, Pro 750, and the HFI 580s and 780s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back