Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #5,746 of 5,992
I think I unexpectantly stumbled upon a pad-endgame set up with the Pro 900s. I got some Edition 10 leather pads and decided "why not?" 

Well, it is crazy how different headphones sound with different/the right pads. It's honestly shocking just how much the acoustic environment matters vs. the drivers (MrSpeakers probably is the best example of this phenomena). 

So I had to fiddle around a lot to fit the over-sized Ethiopian Leather Edition 10 pads onto the Pro 900s, but I got them working and on tight at least for now. It is crazy; it sounds like a completely different headphone. 

Effects:
-Dramatically larger soundstage; completely open feel, even more open than the Mad Dogs (have not heard the Alpha Dogs yet). I feel that the S-Logic is finally working as intended because I can clearly hear instruments completely around me, as if I am flying overhead a symphony playing live. This matches David Mahler's impressions of the Edition 10 in the flagship thread. I am truly shocked how much the pads were a factor here.
-Dramatically reduced bass. This could be a deal breaker for most since that's what the Pro 900s were the best at. The extra distance from the driver very noticeably reduces the mid-bass slam. I am somewhat mixed about this since the Pro 900s were my fun headphone for mainstream music, but now just entered a new world of accurate, spacious sounding closed headphones. They are still colored, but they don't do bass the same when the driver was half the length away that it is now. 
-No hint of harsh highs/sibilant treble. The sound now is not fatiguing in any way. It is great! I can crank the volume up for a long time without feeling that ear aching sharpness/piercing treble. 
-Less isolation. Not sure what the deal is with this one, or why the isolation was reduced, maybe due to the pads being perforated/holed for heat reduction? The Pro 900s feel very open and not closed in anymore which is great. 

I don't know how I feel about the reduced bass though, it's a bummer. I am really enjoying the new sound though for now. I truly feel that the Pro 900s sound like completely different headphones now. Something spooky about the Edition 10 pads. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #5,747 of 5,992
  I think I unexpectantly stumbled upon a pad-endgame set up with the Pro 900s. I got some Edition 10 leather pads and decided "why not?" 

Well, it is crazy how different headphones sound with different/the right pads. It's honestly shocking just how much the acoustic environment matters vs. the drivers (MrSpeakers probably is the best example of this phenomena). 

So I had to fiddle around a lot to fit the over-sized Ethiopian Leather Edition 10 pads onto the Pro 900s, but I got them working and on tight at least for now. It is crazy; it sounds like a completely different headphone. 

Effects:
-Dramatically larger soundstage; completely open feel, even more open than the Mad Dogs (have not heard the Alpha Dogs yet). I feel that the S-Logic is finally working as intended because I can clearly hear instruments completely around me, as if I am flying overhead a symphony playing live. This matches David Mahler's impressions of the Edition 10 in the flagship thread. I am truly shocked how much the pads were a factor here.
-Dramatically reduced bass. This could be a deal breaker for most since that's what the Pro 900s were the best at. The extra distance from the driver very noticeably reduces the mid-bass slam. I am somewhat mixed about this since the Pro 900s were my fun headphone for mainstream music, but now just entered a new world of accurate, spacious sounding closed headphones. They are still colored, but they don't do bass the same when the driver was half the length away that it is now. 
-No hint of harsh highs/sibilant treble. The sound now is not fatiguing in any way. It is great! I can crank the volume up for a long time without feeling that ear aching sharpness/piercing treble. 
-Less isolation. Not sure what the deal is with this one, or why the isolation was reduced, maybe due to the pads being perforated/holed for heat reduction? The Pro 900s feel very open and not closed in anymore which is great. 

I don't know how I feel about the reduced bass though, it's a bummer. I am really enjoying the new sound though for now. I truly feel that the Pro 900s sound like completely different headphones now. Something spooky about the Edition 10 pads. 

Can you shoot a couple more pics please?  I have Alpha pads on my Pro900 and am pleased with the impact they have on the headphone.  Maybe with the headphone opened up and/or a earcup spun 90*. 

Very cool thinking by the way. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #5,748 of 5,992
  Can you shoot a couple more pics please?  I have Alpha pads on my Pro900 and am pleased with the impact they have on the headphone.  Maybe with the headphone opened up and/or a earcup spun 90*. 

Very cool thinking by the way. 

Here are some more pics for you, Oregonian. I should note that the comfort is slightly improved, the pads don't get very hot at all, and that the recessed mids improve a lot because there is less bass and more balance. Overall, I am noticing more nuances in my music than I used to with this configuration. 

Note the barely visible white line along the plane in which the pads attach to the cups. Ultrasone used double sided adhesive for their leather pads in the Edition series for some reason so you can see a tiny bit of the adhesive if you look hard enough. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #5,749 of 5,992
Have had these headphones for about 5 months now. The bass is amazing, have never heard bass like it before. I do wish the sub bass had a little more kick though. Hardly notice the piercing highs that others claim to. Female vocals sound amazing. 

I'm looking for pads which bring the drivers closer to my ears to bring out the bass kick more. Any suggestions?

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #5,750 of 5,992
Blasphemy, but why not eq the bass a bit more for some more impact? Just a touch of reductive eq, then a bit higher volume to get the mids and treble back in line with usual.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #5,751 of 5,992
Soon enough i will buy these!

Are they going to be a massive improvement over my M-Audio Q40 and Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2? I use the Asus Xonar STX Sound card and i have a Fiio E18 portable AMP and soon enough i will also purchase a dedicated desktop AMP/DAC.. Are they worth it?

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #5,752 of 5,992
Soon enough i will buy these!

Are they going to be a massive improvement over my M-Audio Q40 and Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2? I use the Asus Xonar STX Sound card and i have a Fiio E18 portable AMP and soon enough i will also purchase a dedicated desktop AMP/DAC.. Are they worth it?

They are not bad, but depends on the price.. I would say anything between 150-200 is a good price for them. Anything above that price is overpriced IMO. ;p

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #5,756 of 5,992
This is the description of S-Logic Plus (which is present on the Pro 900) On the Ultrasone website : 

S-Logic™ Plus is the newest advancement in the S-Logic™ Natural Surround System.

S-Logic™ Plus profits directly from innovations developed for our flagship Edition range, the ultimate headphones for critical listening. This sophisticated new technology combines precision dampening with micro-acoustic reinforcement, allowing driver, buffer-board, and spatial parameters to complement one another in an optimal manner. So the acoustically redesigned ear-cups of these new models and their tonal fine-tuning result in a most neutral sound impression with more vivid perception of voices and instruments.

It's basically a passive technology that enables the listener to hear the music in a more spacious and 3D way similar to loud speakers mostly (I think) due to the decentralized driver position inside the ear cups.

I know a lot of it is marketing, but this is what really pushed me into getting these headphones. I was curious about a closed phone that is supposed to sound airy and layered. I have pretty much read this whole thread and decided to get me a pair after purchasing Audio Technica ATHM50's about 6 months ago. I don't know what it is actually due to (probably many factors of how the headphones are made) but I can definitely tell there is a difference between the pro 900's and the m50's in the sound stage department. It is more apparent on certain tracks/recordings and sometimes the difference is huge. especially when listening to symphonic/orchestric music you can really feel the depth, layering and separation of instruments. When you have time to sit down and actually listen to the music it really is satisfying. 

Now I have become a sound stage freak and want to hear the likes of some open headphones like AKG701 or some hi tier Sennheisers 
biggrin.gif

The only thing that sometimes drives me crazy with the pro 900's is the positioning on my head. Because the cups swivel on so many planes and the headband is quite thin, I find myself fiddling around with them over my ears for way too long until I feel a comfortable fit and even continue to do so while listening.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #5,757 of 5,992
This is the description of S-Logic Plus (which is present on the Pro 900) On the Ultrasone website : 

S-Logic™ Plus is the newest advancement in the S-Logic™ Natural Surround System.

S-Logic™ Plus profits directly from innovations developed for our flagship Edition range, the ultimate headphones for critical listening. This sophisticated new technology combines precision dampening with micro-acoustic reinforcement, allowing driver, buffer-board, and spatial parameters to complement one another in an optimal manner. So the acoustically redesigned ear-cups of these new models and their tonal fine-tuning result in a most neutral sound impression with more vivid perception of voices and instruments.

It's basically a passive technology that enables the listener to hear the music in a more spacious and 3D way similar to loud speakers mostly (I think) due to the decentralized driver position inside the ear cups.

I know a lot of it is marketing, but this is what really pushed me into getting these headphones. I was curious about a closed phone that is supposed to sound airy and layered. I have pretty much read this whole thread and decided to get me a pair after purchasing Audio Technica ATHM50's about 6 months ago. I don't know what it is actually due to (probably many factors of how the headphones are made) but I can definitely tell there is a difference between the pro 900's and the m50's in the sound stage department. It is more apparent on certain tracks/recordings and sometimes the difference is huge. especially when listening to symphonic/orchestric music you can really feel the depth, layering and separation of instruments. When you have time to sit down and actually listen to the music it really is satisfying. 

Now I have become a sound stage freak and want to hear the likes of some open headphones like AKG701 or some hi tier Sennheisers :D

The only thing that sometimes drives me crazy with the pro 900's is the positioning on my head. Because the cups swivel on so many planes and the headband is quite thin, I find myself fiddling around with them over my ears for way too long until I feel a comfortable fit and even continue to do so while listening.

Re your last paragraph. I added the HD650 headband and Alpha pads and the fit is excellent, comfort is even better than stock, and easier to keep from moving around on your head.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #5,758 of 5,992
The last thing I need to do is spend more money :) At this point in my audiophile journey, I would be concerned about doing any mods to any headphones I get. Sound is such a subjective thing and I would rather trust the engineers and use the product stock than try to make my own adjustments that may alter the sound.

I'm sure if the ear cups were oval as opposed to circular, it would definitely be easier to place them on comfortably. Now I usually adjust them on my head in front of a mirror, otherwise my OCD would have me constantly shift them around and get frustrated haha. Once I find the right position I have no comfort issues.

May 1, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #5,759 of 5,992
Help!

I own a large number of headphones and my favorite sounding are the Pro 900.

Unfortunately, I can't bear to wear them for more than a few minutes because the pad on top of my head digs into my brain. :frowning2:

wat do?

May 1, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #5,760 of 5,992
  Help!

I own a large number of headphones and my favorite sounding are the Pro 900.

Unfortunately, I can't bear to wear them for more than a few minutes because the pad on top of my head digs into my brain. :frowning2:

wat do?

You could possibly try the Sennheiser 650 headband mod : http://www.head-fi.org/t/579875/comfort-mod-hd650-headband-padding-on-the-pro-900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back