Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #3,663 of 5,992
Hi people, been a long time lurker but first time poster.

I've got myself a pair of Pro 900s after doing some extensive research on which cans were the best for bassheads and EDM. I am really enjoying the sound except the one part I bought it for - the bass. I'm not sure whether I was expecting too much from the reviews but I really wanted/expected some kick which appears to be lacking at the moment. I mean the bass is still there but it actually sounds stronger and thumpier on my Westone 3s for the same songs. I am just running it through my iPhone.

So I've got some questions, do I need an amp to fully experience the crazy bass that everyone is talking about? Does the bass kick in after a certain amount of burn in? How do I experience this 'legendary bass' that people are talking about? I was expecting it to be thumping out of the box but so far it doesn't seem to be that way.

Any help and advice would be great.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #3,665 of 5,992

Quote:

I've got myself a pair of Pro 900s after doing some extensive research on which cans were the best for bassheads and EDM. I am really enjoying the sound except the one part I bought it for - the bass. I'm not sure whether I was expecting too much from the reviews but I really wanted/expected some kick which appears to be lacking at the moment. I mean the bass is still there but it actually sounds stronger and thumpier on my Westone 3s for the same songs. I am just running it through my iPhone.

So I've got some questions, do I need an amp to fully experience the crazy bass that everyone is talking about? Does the bass kick in after a certain amount of burn in? How do I experience this 'legendary bass' that people are talking about? I was expecting it to be thumping out of the box but so far it doesn't seem to be that way.

they sound ok off an iphone. but with an amp, bass response + detail improves.

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #3,666 of 5,992

Quote:
Give your ears time to adapt to the Pro 900. Try not listening to the W3 and only the Pro 900 for a few days and see if your impressions change.

Cheers, I will try that.

Quote:
they sound ok off an iphone. but with an amp, bass response + detail improves.

Alright, hopefully it'll improve when my e11 arrives.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #3,667 of 5,992

Quote:

Cheers, I will try that.

Alright, hopefully it'll improve when my e11 arrives.

I have had the E11 and it really brings out the punch in the Pro 900 - I have the W3's as well and the Pro 900 will get punchier than them when properly amped.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #3,669 of 5,992
Quote:

Make sure the pads are screwed all the way into the cups, and check placement on your ears.  Scooting them backwards or forwards on your head can make a surprising difference in the way they sound.  Check the seal of the cup behind your ear, where your skull dips into your neck.  if there's no seal there, push them forwards a little bit.

I've found that these two things are the primary problems when people seem disappointed with the bass. Seal is all important. I've got the 1964Q--possibly the bassiest IEM ever conceived--and the PRO900 still hangs them out to dry, especially with the XB700 pads.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #3,670 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:

Scooting them backwards or forwards on your head can make a surprising difference in the way they sound.  Check the seal of the cup behind your ear, where your skull dips into your neck.  if there's no seal there, push them forwards a little bit.

Wow, can't believe I haven't thought of doing that. Well after shuffling them around my ears a bit, I have found a sweet spot which increases the bass marginally but it is still not blowing me away :/

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #3,671 of 5,992
Quote:
Wow, can't believe I haven't thought of doing that. Well after shuffling them around my ears a bit, I have found a sweet spot which increases the bass marginally but it is still not blowing me away :/

WHAT!?
eek.gif

my pro 900 thump so hard people notice them vibrating on my head. Then they're like "excuse me can I try them? I've been looking for a good pair of headpho-.... holy screw it's tickling my ears!" True story. Anyways you might not have enough power behind them, I've noticed the Pro 900 respond well when having a powerful amp behind them. Straight from my ipod it sounds weak and veiled, then from my portable rig it's like magic! BAM! BOOM! IN YA FACE BASS! without bleeding into the other frequencies.

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #3,672 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:

WHAT!?
eek.gif

my pro 900 thump so hard people notice them vibrating on my head. Then they're like "excuse me can I try them? I've been looking for a good pair of headpho-.... holy screw it's tickling my ears!" True story. Anyways you might not have enough power behind them, I've noticed the Pro 900 respond well when having a powerful amp behind them. Straight from my ipod it sounds weak and veiled, then from my portable rig it's like magic! BAM! BOOM! IN YA FACE BASS! without bleeding into the other frequencies.

Yeah, that's exactly what I want to experience. But haven't had the pleasure of doing so yet :frowning2:

May I ask what your portable rig consists of?

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #3,673 of 5,992
Quote:

WHAT!? :eek:  my pro 900 thump so hard people notice them vibrating on my head. Then they're like "excuse me can I try them? I've been looking for a good pair of headpho-.... holy screw it's tickling my ears!" True story. Anyways you might not have enough power behind them, I've noticed the Pro 900 respond well when having a powerful amp behind them. Straight from my ipod it sounds weak and veiled, then from my portable rig it's like magic! BAM! BOOM! IN YA FACE BASS! without bleeding into the other frequencies.

Yeah, that's exactly what I want to experience. But haven't had the pleasure of doing so yet :frowning2:

May I ask what your portable rig consists of?

It's not the rig, it's the volume level.

Please watch out for your ears when listening on these cans. Turning up the volume makes the music more enjoyable, but worse for your health.

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #3,674 of 5,992

Quote:
It's not the rig, it's the volume level.
Please watch out for your ears when listening on these cans. Turning up the volume makes the music more enjoyable, but worse for your health.

So I'm not hearing this legendary bass purely due to volume? Hmm maybe you could be right as turning up the volume does make the bass punchier.

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #3,675 of 5,992
It looks like it is at $310 from that link! Great deal for those.

I have listened to my Pro 900 for two days now and it sounds very nice. I'm awaiting my amp/dac still for full impressions.

How is the bass satisfaction/experience from 1 o 5? 4 being the xb500's

Also, anyone know who these sound with the Zo or zo2? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back