Ultrasone PRO 750 vs. Denon AH D2000
Dec 4, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #31 of 61
pataburd: Ok, thanx for sharing that
smily_headphones1.gif

I never owned the A900's together with other good phones. I only had the Proline 750 and the AD2000's together, and there the 750's was the weakest, imo.

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #32 of 61
Alex,
The AD2000 are one set of headphones I've always wanted to try, and I could without difficulty, and based upon what I've read on these threads, imagine them to better the PL750 on several fronts.

My one and only exposure to Audio Technica was based on the A900LTD, which I've read are not "typical"-sounding ATs, either. And I suppose I shouldn't let my lone experience with the A900LTD immoderately steer my opinion about all ATs in general.

Thank you for fruitfully furthering this discussion! : )
PAB

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #33 of 61
Maybe I can give my 2 cent on the D2000 since I had that as my primary headphone for a while.

As I recall, the D2000 is a fun sounding headphone. Comfort is superb. It has good details but not nearly as good as the Stax Lambda or the audio technica W5000. The soundstage is pretty wide. It certainly needs an amp to bring forward the recessed vocals and control the bass a bit (burn in helps as well). Bass was overpowering at times. Sibilance was a problem as well (maybe amp related? powered by ibasso d2 boa at the time). Highs are good but down right piercing at times (maybe amp related as well?)

Besides those few annoyances, I liked the D2000 a lot. Well, at least until I got the Stax and W5000 anyway.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #34 of 61
Along my migratory path, I ultimately ended up with the D2000 (after having sold my PL750, given my preference for the K701).

Driven by the Bada PH-12, I never experienced piercing treble, recessed mids or bass that was any more or less than what the track had to offer with the D2000.

Subjectively, overall, I preferred the D2000 over the Proline 750, but strictly speaking did not have the opportunity to a/b the two directly. However, based on fairly stable listening criteria, I preferred the K701 to the PL750 and the D2000 to the K701 so, indirectly, that puts the D2000 ahead of the PL750, IMHE. : )

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Along my migratory path, I ultimately ended up with the D2000 (after having sold my PL750, given my preference for the K701).

Driven by the Bada PH-12, I never experienced piercing treble, recessed mids or bass that was any more or less than what the track had to offer with the D2000.

Subjectively, overall, I preferred the D2000 over the Proline 750, but strictly speaking did not have the opportunity to a/b the two directly. However, based on fairly stable listening criteria, I preferred the K701 to the PL750 and the D2000 to the K701 so, indirectly, that puts the D2000 ahead of the PL750, IMHE. : )

I can understand that the piercing treble part might be amp related since I found the Boa to be a bright amp, at least in comparison to the Nuforce Icon that I now have.

However, just to gauge our relative definition of recessed mids. Let me ask you a question. Without an amp, do you find the D2000 to have recessed mids? As I remember, without an amp, the vocal would sound like they're coming from REALLY far away. Think a singer in a large empty concert hall and you're ALL the way in the back listening. That's the best way I can describe it to the best of my memory.

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand that the piercing treble part might be amp related since I found the Boa to be a bright amp, at least in comparison to the Nuforce Icon that I now have.

However, just to gauge our relative definition of recessed mids. Let me ask you a question. Without an amp, do you find the D2000 to have recessed mids? As I remember, without an amp, the vocal would sound like they're coming from REALLY far away. Think a singer in a large empty concert hall and you're ALL the way in the back listening. That's the best way I can describe it to the best of my memory.

MB,
Honestly, I never listened to the D2000 unamped--and never saw the reason for doing so; in fact, I don't listen to anything unamped, save for my $14 Philips SBC HS500. So I cannot comment there. But even amped through cheap, "mini-component" gear, the D2000 always impressed me as fairly balanced across the frequency spectrum.
PAB

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #37 of 61
wavoman;5074939 said:
D2000s have a much looser headband and cushion feel than the 750's. Again -- do you want to relax, or be sharp?
[\QUOTE]

comfort is a major concern :O the D2000's look unnecessarily big D:
I guess since I won't be listening to these longer than an average of ~30mins...PL750 would be the way to go for comfort.
o2smile.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #38 of 61
PL750 = "ProLine 750" = old stock!

New stock will say Pro 750 on the headband, not ProLine.

Ultrasone says the difference is only cosmetic but here at Head Fi we have proof of the opposite.

I actually have all three of the HPs being discussed here: Pro 750s, Denon D2000s, and Audio Technica AD2000s. The AT-AD2K's are open, the other two are closed. Can't compare -- with a big amp and classic album rock, it's hard to beat an open phone and the AT-AD2K's will shine, blowing the other two away. Add your favorite vice (red wine, maybe something to smoke) and I'm right back to the '60s, live, moving and shaking like nobody's business. Small children flee the room, terrified at the sight before them.

But for a mellow evening, put on pop or light clasical and the D2000s (if I can pry them away from my wife). Ahhhh turns into Zzzz.

If I want to block out the world and focus hard on complex, multi-layered music, grab the Pro 750's.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #39 of 61
Quote from T-bag in Prison Break: "Well, if that ain't the Mona Lisa!" Wavoman, that was just pure enjoyment to read! You described not only how the headphones feel, but how they make YOU feel - and it was brilliantly put
smily_headphones1.gif

Those three phones have all been in my light of interest, and I have owned two of them and tried one. Still, I ended up with the SA5000's, fulfilling my every need. I will have to get hold of another pair of AD2000's though, as they keep flirting its reputation and greatness in my face through this forum, leaving me with regret and pittyness that I sold them in the first place.

As for now, I'm off to the railway-station to head home for christmas. I've got the iPod filled up with goodies, and the Klipsch X10's in my pocket.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #40 of 61
wavoman, your posts make the D2000 sounds like a laid-back headphone. I guess it's laid-back relative to PL750 and AD2000. But to me, it's the opposite. It's the most aggressive of the headphones I own and I have a hard time relaxing with the Denon. The D2000 makes me pay attention to the music, can't multitask when using it. Not that it's a bad thing...
regular_smile .gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wavoman, your posts make the D2000 sounds like a laid-back headphone. I guess it's laid-back relative to PL750 and AD2000. But to me, it's the opposite. It's the most aggressive of the headphones I own and I have a hard time relaxing with the Denon. The D2000 makes me pay attention to the music, can't multitask when using it. Not that it's a bad thing...
regular_smile .gif

IMHE, the D2000 and PL750 were about the same in their respective degrees of forwardness. What the D2000 manage to do, which is special, is to be "forgiving" of poor recordings, but without sacrificing detail (in fact, offering more). In that respect, they [i.e. the D2000] were ideal for older/classic Rock recordings.

The D2000 have a roundedness and smoothness to their presentation which the PL750 (IMHE) do not have, but again without sacrificing detail. The (stock) D5000 are more detailed than the (stock) D2000 on almost every front (including tones and timbres), but are also less forward--which is one aspect where I actually prefer the D2000.

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #42 of 61
Toxic 888 (and everyone else):
With these different perceptions and opinions, you must be ready for a "straight-jacket" by now. But, that's the way Head-Fi is.
I thought you might be interested in reading the following:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...-diary-388451/

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regular_smile .gif

This is rather interesting I never knew the D2000 was agressive and highs were piercing and hurting.

Hmm so it would seem the 780 HFI really does stand a real chance against the D2000 then. This is very good news to me. I shall feel much better about my purchase of the 780 HFI.
popcorn.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #45 of 61
Just heard it my friend got it :p
D2000 - Out of box and the first couple of hours... On the iPod Classic, and crappy computer soundcard it has is More volume, More musical everything sounds good, 1000% more comfortable (like wearing nothing at all dispite more heavy better weight distribution), Slightly Less detailed, Worser boxed in soundstage, Bloaty/farting bass But at least everysong has more noticeble bass notes, Less natural sounding than the Pro 750.

It probably would get better with amps and burning, but then the Pro 750 would still be better because of the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back