Ultrasone PRO 750 vs. Denon AH D2000
Feb 20, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just heard it my friend got it :p
D2000 - Out of box and the first couple of hours... On the iPod Classic, and crappy computer soundcard it has is More volume, More musical everything sounds good, 1000% more comfortable (like wearing nothing at all dispite more heavy better weight distribution), Slightly Less detailed, Worser boxed in soundstage, Bloaty/farting bass But at least everysong has more noticeble bass notes, Less natural sounding than the Pro 750.

It probably would get better with amps and burning, but then the Pro 750 would still be better because of the soundstage.

After adequate burn-in, IMHE, the D2000 sounds more balanced and arguably more "natural-sounding" than the PL750. But I will concede that the PL750 still holds the edge with female vocals! : )

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #47 of 61
D2000 sounds almost the same as the Pro 750 except in sound stage. So far anyway... Definately more balanced.

Just cant beat it for Comfort, i know alot of people tend to prefer "Comfort" oversound and their opionions are biased towards that... at least my friends are :p

Also worser isolation than the Pro 750s.

For me i love the soundstage on the Pro750, so i wont be selling mine, despite it beening less comfortable.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #48 of 61
i have a pair of d2000's....

i can say, these are indeed extremely comfortable heapdhones. isolation and female vocals do not apply to my needs....i listen to a lot of idm type sounds, and i can tell you that these puppies sound much better post-burn....im interested to hear of the difference from others who have experienced this as well....it sounds like the bass and highs balance out a lot more...

i feel like this headphone, with the proper amp has a ton of potential
smily_headphones1.gif
.....i only wish they werent so big lol!

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #49 of 61
IMHE, the D2000 settled into a smoother, more balanced, and tonally "rounder" listen than the Proline 750.

That said, I still prefered the 750 for female vocals; there was just something visceral and soulful about the way the Prolines rendered a woman's voice that I have yet to hear from another set of headphones. Sigh! : )

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #50 of 61
I did detect a some recessed mids like what every one is saying... and i think alot of instruments keyboards, guitar, are abit lower volume than rest as well in one of the song comparisons i did on my iPod Classic. Also the Highs are way too much (piercing and uncomfortable). Needless to say, after the song on the D2000, i immediately put the Pro 750 on and played the same song i can hear all the details (at similar volumes) without that annoying treble, and able to place where instruments are... Thats about the 2nd day about after 5 hours of use.

Isolation is pretty bad for the D2000, on one Deep House Genre song there was just this bass beat going on... and i can hear my colleges talking... Which i cant with the Pro 750.

Feb 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #51 of 61
If the D2000's highs are "piercing," then it's something else in your audio chain. I've said it many, many times already, but I'll say it again: I have never had issues with the D2000's treble being harsh, piercing or overly agressive; rather, detailed, appreciably extended and smooth. Placement of instruments/spatial queueing are also excellent with the D2000, IMHE. : )

Feb 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
d2000s brighter than pl750s? can anyone else comment on this?

I don't think I would agree.

Both of mine have now been modded. The D2000 has become a Lawton 2000, Mark Lawton having done his famous markl mod on my pair, plus converted to balanced, new cable, woodies, the works. They are now about the best closed phones I have ever heard, with better isolation than before, but isolation is still below the Pro 750s. These D2000s are not bright! They are mellow and wonderful. My wife has stolen them, again. Amp'd thru a balanced Beta 22 (built by Ying at YBM), they approach the SQ of my beloved custom beyer 880/600 ohm [recabled and balanced by Larry/Darth at headphile], which, since the 880 is a (semi)open phone, is saying a lot!

The PRO 750s have been converted to split-entry balanced, and cabled with Silver Dragon by Drew at moon-audio. They are now even better, some of the slightly-strange aspect of the 750's gone. Retained is the sound stage, sometimes amazing and sometimes wierd. To my ears, they are brighter than the D2000s, always have been if memory serves. Agree with many here -- with a female torch singer accompanied by a solo piano, or maybe a few strings, the effect is "you are there" -- searing. The right song will leave me in tears -- no joke. I will never sell these, "brightness" and all.

With the wife keeping the D2000s in a death grip, I still don't have a high-end closed phone for every day use (I have D1001s and ES7s for watching TV, the gym, airplanes, hotels, etc. -- they don't count in this equation). I can't use the Pro 750s for everyday music. The Pro 750s are for a serious (non-classical, non-rock) listening session. So I ordered from Germany MANUFAKTUR beyer 770/600 ohm. They are here, and sound great, but I haven't had time to do serious A/B. I am going to let Larry/Darth/headphile re-cable, but I think I will leave them single-ended so I have something to use with the EF-1 (and my legacy stuff from decades ago, Carver, Hafler, etc., all of which have credible HP outs, as does the Benchmark DAC ... so a 1/4" terminated HP is a good thing to have -- could use the bal-to-1/4 inch converter [got 'em from Lawton and Stefan AudioArt/Equinos too] but that's un-handy in general, no?).

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
d2000s brighter than pl750s? can anyone else comment on this?

Not in my experience. To the contrary, I found the D2000's treble a bit smoother, rounder and more refined than the Proline 750's.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not in my experience. To the contrary, I found the D2000's treble a bit smoother, rounder and more refined than the Proline 750's.

What setup do you use? Although my other friend just uses it at work he bought it and he liked it alot (hehe he even likes the BOSE On-Ear compared to Pro 750)

About the soundstage, thats another issue for me as well, it felt boxed in, not open like the Pro 750 can be. So far the Pro 750 doesnt felt piercing at all on the highend just perfect. I'll try the D2000 at home when i can borrow it :p Which is i think better than the crap at work :p

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #56 of 61
I owned the PROline 750 for about year and never found them to be bright, unless the recording was bright. You want to hear bright headphones? Try the DT990.

That being said, you should also check your source/amp if you're hearing harshness from the PRO750. I found they were quite revealing.
On a different note, I really liked the PRO750. They are still the best closed headphones I've ever heard, especially with the cotton mod. I just ended up preferring the sound of open headphones, as well as the advantage of not being isolated from the outside world (a necessity in my environment).

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What setup do you use? Although my other friend just uses it at work he bought it and he liked it alot (hehe he even likes the BOSE On-Ear compared to Pro 750)

About the soundstage, thats another issue for me as well, it felt boxed in, not open like the Pro 750 can be. So far the Pro 750 doesnt felt piercing at all on the highend just perfect. I'll try the D2000 at home when i can borrow it :p Which is i think better than the crap at work :p

The EVS-modded Oppo 970HD and Bada PH-12 were upstream of my D2000. I have since gone to the D5000, but in some respects prefer the more forward and livelier nature of the D2000.

Concerning the PL750--I had them RAL-recabled, they were my reference headphones for a while. Again, for female vocals, they are the best I've heard to date. With male vocals, I did notice that parts of the mid/lowerish midrange were missing/attenuated, for example, Bryn Terfel (a baritone) sounded more tenorish over the PL750. Aside from that, the Prolines had a nice expansive and deep soundstage with good layering.

However, I did find the D2000 to be overall more balanced, refined and tonally more replete than the PL750.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the PROline 750 for about year and never found them to be bright, unless the recording was bright. You want to hear bright headphones? Try the DT990.

That being said, you should also check your source/amp if you're hearing harshness from the PRO750. I found they were quite revealing.
On a different note, I really liked the PRO750. They are still the best closed headphones I've ever heard, especially with the cotton mod. I just ended up preferring the sound of open headphones, as well as the advantage of not being isolated from the outside world (a necessity in my environment).

I, too, very much enjoyed the PL750. Until I auditioned the Denon with proper amping, the Prolines were my favorite closed pair of headphones by a wide margin. Of course, if I'd had an unlimited budget, I would have kept the PL750--and practically every other piece of audio gear I'd ever owned! : )

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #59 of 61
I have the D2000 in my hand right now, is it good idea to burn-in with pink noise? how long does it take?

Also whats the deal with the volume? I turned up to full on my computer, and the volume is kinda ok...
but the Pro 750 only needs half volume to sound like now :p

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #60 of 61
I just want to add that I've since read a few posts of people complaining about the harshness of the D2000 highs. You can see the phones I have in my sig, basically LA2000 phones, and on some recordings (and because I listen to mostly metal there's a LOT of recordings like this) the highs are too much and cause pain within 5 minutes, just like member1982 was saying.

And just because some of you don't notice it, doesn't mean the D2000 doesn't exhibit it. Like I've said, in researching this phenomenon, I've read that quite a few people have returned them because of this. Some people are more sensitive to sibilance/harshness then others. Likewise I imagine the younger crowd which can hear higher frequencies has more problems then the older gentlemen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back