Ultrasone PRO 650 or HFI-780? Electronica & Dance
Jul 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
Vote.  I'm very torn.  Don't care about accessories and whatnot.  What sounds better?  I'm looking for good listening cans, not monitoring cans.

I've searched but there aren't many threads comparing pro line vs hfi.  also this was supposed to be a poll, what's the dealio why didn't my poll post.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 8
That's difficult. I can definitely sympathize with your situation. I'd say if you like a more aggressive presentation go for the 780s but if you want a bit more neutral sounding can that's not as fatiguing but is still somewhat "fun" sounding go for the Pro 650. I found that the soundstage and details were better on the Pros I tried while the 780s had more bass quantity but it wasn't quite as well controlled. Of course it also depends on how much bass you like. I like a bit more bass than what is neutral but nothing too crazy. Of course that's just my opinion.

edit: Forgot to vote. Pro 650 has the best presentation for me but then again it's not about me. 
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 8
I thought the proline 550 was better than the 650 in bass impact. The hfi 780 only has about 65% of the bass impact of the hfi 580. The 580 has some of the most bass impact i have heard. The hfi 780 has about the same bass impact as the pro550. The 550 imo is better than the 780. More spacious, similar bass impact, more fun. The 580 is also more fun.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 8
wind, how did the bass quality between the 580 and 780 compare?

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 8
it's a bit of a hard one. Although i would go for the Pro series, if i'm honest, the HFI's are better at your type of music. I had both the 780's and 750 ... but to be honest i miss the warmer and deeper presentation of the Pro's even though the 780's were good headphones. 

Sorry i'm not giving you a clearer impression. I always say the Pro's are more mature, relaxing headphones. the HFI's make you want to dance around the room. I do miss my pro 750's, but i kept my DJ1 and HFI-15g (portable). 

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 8
I listen to a lot of electronica (breakcore, drill n bass, idm, ambient) and I recently upgraded from HFI580s to PRO550s (only about 50hrs of burn in so far, so I guess they need a little more time to reach their full potential).

If you're all about the quantity of bass and the 780s are anything like the 580s then I'd say go with the 780s. PRO550s have a little less bass, but they're more detailed, the soundstage is also much bigger, and they're also much better with female vocals. I'd say that they handle "busy" music with much more ease than the HFIs. From what I've read, the PRO650s (just like the HFI680s) are considered to be the most balanced of the bunch, so it'd be my guess that they're even less bassy.

When it comes to comfort, I find that the headband padding is equally bad on all Ultrasones and it will probably dig into your skull after a while. I just use the padding I ripped off my DR150s. The earpads in the PRO series are bigger, deeper, a lot more comfortable than the ones used in the HFIs. The material the 550s and 650s use is also more pleasant to the touch, but I guess that's up to personal taste -- personally I'm not a big fan of pleather. The HFIs isolate a little better.

I'm talking about slightly different cans, but I hope some of this helps.

btw, you might want to read this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/86109/tested-and-compared-ultrasone-proline-550-650-and-750-the-hfi-550-and-650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back