Ultrasone PRo 650 and DT990 250ohm questions
Jul 19, 2010 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

genclaymore

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking about info on these two headphones,how they compare with each other in creating music, gaming, movies and listening to music. I liked my HFi-780 but I want something that balance and more accurate. While still being good enough for trace,techno,etc music. Also still being good enough for gaming and watching movies on my computer. The only thing that worries me is the DT990 being open back,I would like to know how bad do they leak sound.Since my room walls are thin so its easy to hear what coming out open back headphones. If some one who has used or own both ,can you tell me how they compare.  The Pro-650 has my eye because of there detactable cable, so if something happen to the cable i could get a replacment cable.

The choice is between these two headphones and not other headphones thats way outside my budget.

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 5
I had Pro 650 for a while, and I have DT990 (600ohm).

Soundwise, I like both of them for leisure listening.
DT990 does not leak that much, I don't think you need to worry about annoying people outside the room.
But people within the same room can still hear your music.
I would say for the music I listen to (classical), DT990 fits the balanced and accurate slightly better if well amped.
But this if may be a big one especially when you currently don't have any amps around.

Pro 650 leak very little even under the closed phone standard.
S-logic makes the sound more comfortable for longer period listening, but it also introduces occasionally award sound imaging.
This is not a big deal for non-critical listening though.
Unfortunately for me, its clamping is too much for my glasses.
However, given that you get along with HFI 780 well, this may not be an issue.
You probably don't need to invest on other component for now if you get Pro 650.

Quote:
I am looking about info on these two headphones,how they compare with each other in creating music, gaming, movies and listening to music. I liked my HFi-780 but I want something that balance and more accurate. While still being good enough for trace,techno,etc music. Also still being good enough for gaming and watching movies on my computer. The only thing that worries me is the DT990 being open back,I would like to know how bad do they leak sound.Since my room walls are thin so its easy to hear what coming out open back headphones. If some one who has used or own both ,can you tell me how they compare.  The Pro-650 has my eye because of there detactable cable, so if something happen to the cable i could get a replacment cable.

The choice is between these two headphones and not other headphones thats way outside my budget.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 5
I wear glasses my self,I might get the DT990 because of that, on the amping. My bravura has a ingraded headphone amp which handles up to 600ohm headphones.I not worried that they wouldnt get amped right. Tho all depends on if I can get the money to get either one.I usually take my glasses off when I use my HF-780. Even with my new wireframe glasses.

Jul 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 5
I own both. I think both are good for trance and the like. I did find the DT990 to have a more open sound (of course) with more detail but much brighter than the Pro 650 (it could be that my amp isn't that great of a match). I also found the Pro 650 to have better defined bass, is easier to amp, provides better isolation, and doesn't leak as much (though it does leak more than the 780). About the comfort issue the DT990 is much more comfortable than the 650. I wouldn't say the 650 is uncomfortable but it isn't comfortable either. Tolerable or so so comfort for me.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 5
For the headphones I mention, i thought about the Agk701/702 how would they compare to the ones I mention? Like how is the sound leakage on either one. and as any one used them for gaming as well would they do good for the music i listen to from my first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back