ultrasone pro 2900
Jul 9, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #31 of 78
Likely, the bass on the pro 900 is just messed up and I wouldn't be surprised if they put the same bass boost on the pro 2900. I had the prior model HFI-2200 with the older driver and palstic faceplate, and I thought it was undetailed for the price and extremely smooth colored, but natural and balanced across the frequencies. The aluminum faceplate HFI-2200 is supposed to share the same driver as the HFI-2400, and I can't comment what sound signature that has. If you are interested in lower resolution headphones I would recommend the HFI-2200 over the HFI-2400, better color design and cheaper if you wait for it to show up cheap somewhere. But still.. the older driver version had rather low detail, not sure if you would be happy with it after hearing titanium driver pro 2900.

My personal opinion is to just open it up and put a thin slice of cotton make-up pad in the center of each cup the same diameter as the faceplates of the headphones. Look up Kees mod, very popular and converts boring pro 900 into enjoyable, more balanced FR headphones.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #33 of 78
@roark

i think you should give a cotton/felt cup mod a go and let the ultrasone burn for another weeks as the titanium driver takes some time to loose.. if you still dont like it then it just not for you..

Jul 16, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #34 of 78
I got a chance to listen to these and they were incredible they you could hear every detail with incredible realism , I have my hfi2400 which are excellent I liked them better than my old proline 2500's but these 2900 are a step up which was hard to believe well I guess not since they use the pro 900 drivers , they also have the same look as the 2400 which is ultrasones best yet IMO its much cooler than the blue/silver they use on their other pro models. Now I want them lol.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #35 of 78
Anybody got this yet? I'd like to see pics of the buffer board.

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #37 of 78
I've got this headphone for one month. I think it's suitable for all kinds of music. Except the high frequency part was too sharp initially. The sharpness improved after run-in.
Larger sound stage then pro900.
More details when switch to Oyaide cable.

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #40 of 78
The last page of that link says the balanced headphones have an MSRP of $800. That's a $250 increase for another hole, cable, and connector. If you do it yourself it would cost ~$25.

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #41 of 78
I'm pretty irritated that Ultrasone thinks they can charge $250 just to balance the pro 2900. I am willing to do pro 2900 rebalancing at cost until they drastically lower their current price. There are many ways to rebalance these headphones, if you are interested, let me know and we can discuss how you want it balanced and total costs. I've yet to think of a practical in-cup connector to replace the stock one though, my personal preference is to just do dual-entry and terminate the cable 1-2 feet away from the headphones in 4-pin mini-xlr, then use an extension cable for different things, ie TRS, mini-TRS, 2x3 pin xlr, or 4 pin xlr. I will also do the cables at cost, but would like to not have too many different kinds of cables on hand so will probably just have a few different canare twisted pair and star quad to choose from.

Btw to prove I'll do it at cost, I will show every single receipt involved in this and not take any tips. Ultrasone needs to learn a lesson >
frown.gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #42 of 78
Sep 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #43 of 78
There's a good chance I'll be able to listen to a pair of the Proline 2900 soon. My girlfriend simply adores the sound of my Edition 8, so she's looking for a more reasonably priced alternative and is planning on giving these an audition.

Impressions will follow if this happens.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #44 of 78
Sorry for digging this old thread up, but I wanted to mention I've listened to the Pro 2900 for a few days now. They were purchased as a gift for my girlfriend to try and get her more involved with my hobby. She's been enjoying them immensely, and surprisingly so have I. Even with my Edition 8 and 9, various Stax and orthos, etc. they've been getting a fair amount of head time. ....When she's not using them herself, of course.

I haven't heard the Pro 900, so I have no point of reference. Consequently I'm not sure how much bass these have compared to their closed-design counterparts. There's certainly plenty of it. Very powerful stuff, possessing a visceral impact and very low extension. It's the detailed kind of bass thankfully and not a one-note window-rattling car stereo affair. In terms of the quantity, I'd place it slightly lower than the Edition 9 in stock (as in not re-cabled) form. Speaking of re-cabling, she's already looking at her options. The most likely candidate will be the Moon Audio Blue Dragon. Looks like she's well on her way to becoming an audiophile. 
smile.gif

If there's one criticism I have for the Pro 2900, it's the slightly (every-so-slightly) sibilant treble on certain tracks. I'm assuming this will dissipate once burn-in is complete. Admittedly, I'm still somewhat undecided on the issue of burn-in, but Ultrasones are perhaps the most notorious (aside from the K701) when it comes to obvious changes from burn-in. Maybe my experience with the Pro 2900 will make a fully committed believer out of me.

Midrange seems slightly recessed, with vocals set a few rows back. The clarity and detail is impressive without being overly analytic. Soundstage is also impressive thanks to S-Logic Plus and the open design of the Pro 2900. I felt it was very dimensional and spacious, with a nearly complete 360 degree field encircling me. Instrument placement was easily discernible and correct, while instrument separation was decent.

Build quality is better than I thought it would be. The plastics used have a matte finish and sturdy bulk, with the entire construction having a solid feel to it. The Edition 9 still feels superior with its higher-end materials and added heft, but the Pro 2900 doesn't feel cheap either. These are very comfortable headphones for both my girlfriend and me. As much as I enjoy leather ear pads, I have to admit the velour feels nice. Finally, these come housed in a very nice mini-case with the Ultrasone logo and model number on it.

Overall, these are very "fun" headphones with a powerful, punchy bass presence. As one might expect however, the bass is slightly less dominating than with some of the closed-back Ultrasones. The open design also affords a spacious listening experience, so I feel you get the best of both worlds through the combination of punchiness and roominess. While these headphones are fun, they're also seriously detailed. Once again it would seem to be a case of having the best of both sides: slightly analytic detail but without the cold, lifeless analytic presentation.

I personally feel these are worth their $550 price tag. If you can find them used for less, even better.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #45 of 78
Seem to have a lot in common with the Pro 900. That could really be a 900 review. As for sibilance you will probably never get them to LCD-2 level in that regard. Just listen at low SPL if they behave anything like the Pro 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back