Ultrasone Pro 2900....anyone try these yet? If not...fear not as I'll be soon taking the plunge.
Jul 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

joeq70

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm intrigued by the new Ultrasone Pro 2900...I really enjoyed the HFI-780 when I owned them. Has anyone purchased the 2900 yet? There was one fellow here who mentioned he didn't care for them, but I'd like to hear about more experiences. Regardless, I'm going to be buying these in a week or so unless some people here have some seriously negative things to say about them.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 9
No idea. Here's a little bit of talk on it but not much impressions wise. You should buy a pair and post your impressions.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 9
I heard them once and really liked them but they can be really revealing which is not good if you have a bad source but I liked them because everything sounds like its suppose to even if it makes it sound kinda bad sometimes. I like more analytical type sound I guess

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm looking at re-purchasing the Pro900, however I am interested in how the Pro2900 stacks up.  I am waiting for someone who has/had Pro900 to give head to head comparrison of the two black Pros. 

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Looking forward to impressions as well. I wouldn't mind getting something a little higher end for a desktop system...FWIR I haven't really been able to find a headphone (under 1k) that sounds enticing enough for me to build around yet.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 9
Ultrasone fan here. I have an Ed.8 and looking forward to buy the forthcoming Ed.10. While waiting, I thought I should give 2900 a try.
Although the sound is not as refined compared to Ed.8, it's a headphone capable of digging a lot of detail from a recording, while managing to keep the sound much more enjoyable than, let's say, a K701. The bass performance is excellent (but maybe not as good as Ed.8 which is a closed design after all), tight, controlled, punchy, the mids slightly recessed, the treble a little on the bright side as every Ultrasone (the burn in helps a lot but not to the point of smoothing it completely). The soundstage is right, neither huge and detracting from the enjoyment of a rock tune as some "audiophile" headphones, nor completely absent as most Grados etc. I wouldn't say the soundstage has much to do with the open design (you can obstruct the back without much of a change in sound), but rather with the latest S-Logic algorithm, which seems to provide a better, more realistic sense of space compared to my Ed.8.
It's a fair and fairly priced headphone, offering, in my opinion, excellent value for the money. A must try for the Ultrasone fan, a good alternative to the Grado's, Sennheiser's and Denon's in the price range (and in my opinion better than most).    

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for that.  Look forward to your ED 10 impressions as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back