Ultrasone portable closed and isolation.
Oct 23, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #16 of 21

Quote:
Take this with a grain of salt as I am just going FWIR, but apparently they can be used relatively well without an amp, but the use of an amp controls the flabby bass you get unamped which leads to a much better sound.

I would use a T3D as a portable amp.  Would that be sufficient to reign in the flab?

Quote:
Ultrasones like in 750/900 geta a bit more "fun" unamped but it soon gets old.

As for isolation they isolate about on par with the DT 770 Pro if you had that one. Probably less then you would want for subway action.
I would expect the US with leather earpads to isolate better though.

It seems to be that way.  US= ultrasone?  Do they have soft leather pads that are comparable to the shure840 pleather pads or better in terms of softness?

Quote:
honestly, IEMs are probably the best for use in the subway/bus, in terms of isolation, most closed phones are around the same

Yes I agree.  BUT its winter time!  My ears get cold and I refuse to wear IEMS and Muffs.  Besides that would involve saving money, and c'mon now.  This is Head-fi!

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 21
Yeah, my Pro 750 sounded quite a bit tighter with my portable amp than w/o, and the volume was better and clean at that higher level. You could get by w/o one though.

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #18 of 21
US=Ultrasone

Coupe you have the ED8 with ethiopian sheep leather. It does isolate a lot better then the Pro 900. Not really a bang for buck solution though but it´s the best closed headphone I have heard.

Also leather is better in cold weather. At the same time it´s not preferrable during hot summer days.

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #19 of 21
I have heard great things about the ED8 and it will definitely be on the radar as I work my way up the ladder.  However, Are there soft leather pads for the pro 900s available?

Quote:
US=Ultrasone

Coupe you have the ED8 with ethiopian sheep leather. It does isolate a lot better then the Pro 900. Not really a bang for buck solution though but it´s the best closed headphone I have heard.

Also leather is better in cold weather. At the same time it´s not preferrable during hot summer days.

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #20 of 21
Is there still love for AKG K81DJs? :p When I had those they isolated extremely well, but my head was too big for them and I couldn't wear them for longer than an hour or two. To be honest I don't think you can get much better than the M50s for isolation. Maybe Sennheiser HD280s, which I recall isolated extremely well too, but it's a give/take here - the most isolation you get, the more clamping force you need (and the more uncomfortable it gets).

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
Is there still love for AKG K81DJs? :p When I had those they isolated extremely well, but my head was too big for them and I couldn't wear them for longer than an hour or two. To be honest I don't think you can get much better than the M50s for isolation. Maybe Sennheiser HD280s, which I recall isolated extremely well too, but it's a give/take here - the most isolation you get, the more clamping force you need (and the more uncomfortable it gets).

No love for the K81DJ. Torture instruments and way to much bass. But they did isolate really well I give them that and they can be used for 15 minutes per day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back