Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Jun 14, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #527 of 541
I've heard a few of the high end Ultrasone's, which I thought weren't worth their price, but I like their lower cost cans., in particular the Signature Studio, and DJ 1Pro, which I own. Like I said, I'm very careful , almost OCD, about my gear, and I've never had any equipment break on me build wise, except a DT1770, which had a faulty driver out of the box. Fingers crossed on this one.

Oooh, I just love their signature series!

I wasn't as sure about the more expensive editions which are quite rare and sound very different from each other, but the Signature series are headphones I can happily recommend to anyone on any day of the week, they are the love Headphones in my book.

I also loved Dj One Pro for years before getting Signature Studio and Signature DXP :)

I think you'll be happy with your decision, Ultrasone makes great headphones in general :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #528 of 541
I've got the 840 and use it for my portable setup running an iPod Touch with Cayin C5 amp in my armband for yardwork, etc. Put Alpha pads on it and absolutely love the setup. Great bass, great comfort (now with the Alpha pads - stock pads were too thin and stiff for my liking) and am quite happy with it.

Have owned the Sig Pro and Edition 8 in the past and liked them both tho the Sig Pro was quite uncomfortable to me. Wish I still had the Edition 8..............

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #530 of 541
May 17, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #533 of 541
Performance 840 is a bit less analytical than DT770pro-250Ω, but a bit more than DT770pro-80Ω, I no longer have any of these to compare, but the Ultrasone has fuller, deeper bass with better texure and none of the treble and upper mids boost of the Beyer for sure. Thicker, bassier sound is generally an Ultrasone thing, not so much for Beyerdynamic. And then 840 has this "energy" to its overall sound, only the Tesla Beyers compare in this aspect, and the Performance 860, which I have now. Soundstaging is better on DT770. There is more to tell, but really hard to describe, Ultrasones are their own world of sound, like how Grados are their own world of sound, too. Ultrasones aren't for everyone, much like Grados. Then their S-Logic schemes can be a hit or miss depending on the person. It can actually completely ruin their sound for some folks.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #536 of 541
I ended up trying the 840 which did sound good but the ear pads where to shallow. But the bass on the ultrasones are amazing.
Yep, those stock pads are awful..................I put Alpha Pads on the 840 (stretched them over the cup) and voila - major comfort improvement.

May 23, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #538 of 541
It depends.
Deeper pads usually give more boomy bass and an increased headstage, ime.

Have the 880s with deeper aftermarket pads, but can't say anything about the Alpha pads. :wink:

Haven't listen to them over a year now, thou.

May 25, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #539 of 541
Did that change the sound a lot or change it favorably?
Isolated better than stock and the bass was deeper....................both favorable improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back