Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Oct 15, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #61 of 541
Denon full-size headphones tend to isolate pretty well (as they do clamp a bit as well), and leak is very very controlled. Had the Signature Pro, have the Signature DJs and have tested a few "lower" priced options and they do well in that regard. Don't doubt these will do well (and I think I will probably test/buy these as well once they get to US shores...)

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #63 of 541
For max bass size matters but for reasonable bass even a 40mm is more than adequate. A Q40 puts out plenty of bass with 40mm drivers.

Remember that is the extreme bass thread. Emphasis on extreme.

These cans have me mildly interested. Not as much as the new Sony but I loved the Edition 8 and these may be pretty good.

ahhhhhh me gustah

also me subbed 

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #64 of 541
  The Performance 880's have a very even and balanced signature - great bass when it is called for, balanced mids and highs - actually the 860 and 880 are 2 of the most balanced ultrasones I have heard. The 880 is much along the lines of the pro2900 and sig pro being quite balanced with a slight tilt to the bass and highs. The 840 night be worth a listen to you if you like the sig DJ bass but the overall clarity is lacking compared to its 2 siblings. All are preferable to my ears to the pro900 and I think the 880 is very much the star of the show. Its highs were a little sharp but after having other experience with ultrasone titanium drivers this will definitely calm down once they get some hrs into them - the unit I heard was fresh out of the box and I only had about 15mins listening with them so the drivers would have been pretty stiff. Add to this that they come with a set of velour pads along with the standard protein leather and 2 cables. They seem to be a logical step up from the 860 and a clear step up from the 840. They reminded me of the sig DJ in the soundstage and the balance of mids to highs with a tighter less massive bass. More highs but I think that would calm down after a little burn in as stated earlier - in any case the highs even out of the box were a lot less sharp than the pro900. Comfort was great on these as well - they seem to be a good all round choice - I think they will compete well with the srh1540s and t70s of the world.

Hope that helps.

Hi bookaboo , are the mids of the 880 recessed ? and how about the isolation ? Thanks

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #65 of 541
Going from memory, it's been a couple of weeks since I heard them now. The isolation was pretty good and the mids weren't as recessed as other ultrasones I have heard. Definitely more forward then the sig DJ. Not as full as the Sig pro.

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #66 of 541
Thanks bookaboo , so after you ithe 880 is the most balanced of the three , is it a bright can ? how much the Mids are not as full as the Sig Pro ? Excuse me for all these questions because i'm terribly tempted by the 880 . Thanks

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #67 of 541
It seems that no one out there still has one of these to sell... (i.e. in stock) :frowning2:
So in the meantime I bought an older Ultrasone HFI-650 DVD Edition just for the heck of it.... lol

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #69 of 541
  They are in stock in Paris France the price of the 880 is : 375 Euros

It seems the easier way to have your answer is to  got to tonemove and try those new Ultrasone :wink:

No news this last week for me , but I expect to have them at home in the coming week or maybe the one after.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #71 of 541
Any1 else interested in the 840? There gotta be at least some bass junkie around, especially when we're talking about Ultrasone headphones which often have a nice punchy impactful bass. :p

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #74 of 541
. Waiting , for your feedbacks about these new Ultrasone , thanks to you Sorrodje .

Normally , I should have the complete family and write a review for TN. Hope JukeboxLTD will send me the headphons like we dealt a few days ago

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #75 of 541
  Any1 else interested in the 840? There gotta be at least some bass junkie around, especially when we're talking about Ultrasone headphones which often have a nice punchy impactful bass. :p

i remember hearing it some time ago at the hong kong hifi show, i think i heard the 880 and i remember they do have punchy impactful bass.  but my signature dj or even dj1 has more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back