UltraSone HIFI 680 VS HIFI 580?
Feb 27, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 45

Quote:So which one do you think would match my Genre of Music more?
I have both HFI-780 and Sony XB500 and can tell you the quality of bass from the 780 would delight any bass-head, it's tight and has impact. It isn't at all what I would call muddy (The XB500s are but they're okay for DnB), they are quite resolving albeit slightly metallic sounding like any Ultrasone. In my opinion the 580s are low-fi, 780s mid-fi and 950s hi-fi. All Ultrasones are for bass lovers, we're not just talking fat muddy bass like XB500, Denon D2000 etc but bass with detail that doesn't interfere with the mids.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #17 of 45
If you're wanting bass unamped then I'd get the 780, if you want a little less bass then go with the 680. When (not IF but WHEN 
wink.gif
) you buy an amp and DAC you could upgrade to the PRO900 if you like the Ultrasone sound, or Beyerdynamic which is the route I went. Also if you shop around you should be able to find the 780s around $160-180.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #18 of 45

Quote:Sum reason, I keep hearing the 580/680 is better?
If you're wanting bass unamped then I'd get the 780, if you want a little less bass then go with the 680. When (not IF but WHEN 
wink.gif
) you buy an amp and DAC you could upgrade to the PRO900 if you like the Ultrasone sound, or Beyerdynamic which is the route I went. Also if you shop around you should be able to find the 780s around $160-180.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #21 of 45
Quote:
The 580s have more bass.  The potential for bass impact is not even close. Unequalized the 580 still have more bass.

The 780 was pretty tame as I recall.

I've never heard the 780s called tame before. While I enjoy bass (big DnB/tecno fan) the 780s were too much for other genres such as classical and acoustic. If the 580s do indeed have more bass, coupled with the rolled off highs and general lo-fi sound I wouldn't find them appealing for anything apart from hip hop & DnB.

As with any headphone buy the best model you can afford, otherwise you'll always be wondering how the better cans sound and before you know it your buying them both. If you just want bass buy the 580s, better yet save yourself some money and get the Sony XB500s.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #22 of 45

Quote:Not sure I want the XB500's, rather go for UltraSones or ones I listed. Seem's a bit Flimsy and odd looking. I know I don't really care about how it looks but, the sony one just seems to be a little cheap for me to buy.
I've never heard the 780s called tame before. While I enjoy bass (big DnB/tecno fan) the 780s were too much for other genres such as classical and acoustic. If the 580s do indeed have more bass, coupled with the rolled off highs and general lo-fi sound I wouldn't find them appealing for anything apart from hip hop & DnB.

As with any headphone buy the best model you can afford, otherwise you'll always be wondering how the better cans sound and before you know it your buying them both. If you just want bass buy the 580s, better yet save yourself some money and get the Sony XB500s.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 45
Price aside the XB500 is for me my bass-can, it EQs nicely and handles DnB better than anything I've heard. While we're on the subject of cheap I highly recommend the JVC HA RX700 as one of the best all-rounders for under $200, it's $33 new. I sold my Denon D2000s ($350) in favor of this headphone.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 45

Quote:What............................... I would've, never mind. Oh well.
Price aside the XB500 is for me my bass-can, it EQs nicely and handles DnB better than anything I've heard. While we're on the subject of cheap I highly recommend the JVC HA RX700 as one of the best all-rounders for under $200, it's $33 new. I sold my Denon D2000s ($350) in favor of this headphone.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #25 of 45
As I remember both the 580 and the 780 are about as easy to amp.

Also, a certain member needs to listen to the 580 before he passes judgement or at least do some simple research. The 580 is better than the xb500 and not much worse than the 780. I don't want to repeat what I've said about the 580 in other threads. Its pretty much opposite of what Graphicsm assumes. The 780 has really low potential for bass impact.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #26 of 45
Yes I assume, as does Ultrasone who say:

HFI-580
These headphones offer tight powerful bass, precise and detailed instrument placement with an impressive power spectrum. The HFI-580 is made for high power input with very efficient 50 mm heavy duty drivers and a persuasive sound intensity. The HFI-580 is ideal for bass players and drummers.

HFI-780
The HFI-780 is developed from the studio sector and is distinguished by a frequency response specifically tuned for DVD and gaming. Sophisticated home cineasts and music enthusiasts are overwhelmed by the impressing sound that appears as though you are listening to speakers meters away. Gamers are impressed by the exact sound reproduction, making the gaming world come alive. The low frequency ranges are being risen in order to reach the highest possible synergies with DSP-Systems like DOLBY HEADPHONE™ and Yamaha SILENT CINEMA™.

The 580 might be better than the XB500, I'm not debating that. What I can tell you is the 780 has strong bass which is MORE than enough for bass-demanding songs and genres such as hip hop. I can also tell you because of it's strong bass it is sometimes a bit too much for pop and classical -therefor- if the 580 has more bass the outcome should be obvious.

At the end of the day I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up with, my comments are obviously my opinion and we're all different.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #27 of 45

Quote:Could you answer about the 680 now since you've done so with the 780/580?
As I remember both the 580 and the 780 are about as easy to amp.

Also, a certain member needs to listen to the 580 before he passes judgement or at least do some simple research. The 580 is better than the xb500 and not much worse than the 780. I don't want to repeat what I've said about the 580 in other threads. Its pretty much opposite of what Graphicsm assumes. The 780 has really low potential for bass impact.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #28 of 45

Quote:

Generally I've read that the D1100's have more bass than the 580's but for pop music/vocals the 580's sound better. I got a recommendation for the 580's from another Head-Fi member, jacobterrado, who also listens to Asian pop songs.

Quote:

I think you don't have to be a pro to identify the highs/mids/lows, but I usually associate rock music (lots of cymbals, drums, some vocals, noise associated with 'tingy sounds') with highs, acoustic and pop music (guitars, string instruments, piano, some vocals, and some electronic synths) with the mids, and bassy and hip-hop music (bass guitar, bass drums, the 'thump' produced in electronica music) with the lows. This is my general overview of what I consider the highs/mids/lows, but then again I could be wrong since I'm not an audiophile and I'm guessing at what the 3 categories entail.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #30 of 45

Quote:580 it is, unless I get an answer about the 680.............................................. Stupid UltraSone clamping force ;P, isn't it for small heads and not large ones?
Generally I've read that the D1100's have more bass than the 580's but for pop music/vocals the 580's sound better. I got a recommendation for the 580's from another Head-Fi member, jacobterrado, who also listens to Asian pop songs.

I think you don't have to be a pro to identify the highs/mids/lows, but I usually associate rock music (lots of cymbals, drums, some vocals, noise associated with 'tingy sounds') with highs, acoustic and pop music (guitars, string instruments, piano, some vocals, and some electronic synths) with the mids, and bassy and hip-hop music (bass guitar, bass drums, the 'thump' produced in electronica music) with the lows. This is my general overview of what I consider the highs/mids/lows, but then again I could be wrong since I'm not an audiophile and I'm guessing at what the 3 categories entail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back