Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Mar 3, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #91 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't known what do you talking about, you are something crazy ( i refer to below sentence too)
confused.gif

Referring to the above quote, I am now realizing that English may not be your first language. I will try not to use "idiomatic" speech that only native speakers might understand, sorry. The "Blah Blah Blah" is something I don't know how to describe easily because I grew up using it. It is something that you can type into a place on the page that means, "I could keep going on forever but you get the point". The problem is you didn't get the point, or the meaning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did. You need evidence?. You have to learn to read better the posts.
Have a good day.

I don't recall seeing you link us to your original question, until after you blew up, or lost your temper. I'm not even sure when you are really upset, because I can't see you smile or frown. Words is all we have. So, I will try to not be insulted when you write that I must learn to read the posts better.
rolleyes.gif

Can we please just move on now? This is about discussing the headphones, and sharing ideas with each other.
redface.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #92 of 477
This should be my last update until I receive my old HFI-780's back, but with the 18G Jenna Labs Cryo Wire installed. I expect them early in the week (hopefully by Tuesday).

I have 241 hours on these 780's with 20G Vampire Wire, and they seem to have been burned-in since around 200 hours, possibly as early as 180 hours. My stock ones that I sent to Ken last week were at over 250 hours, and those still had some excess in the treble area. If I had never heard the ALO780, I would probably have been perfectly happy with them.

However, the the difference in sound between those stock ones and these ALO modded ones (at nearly the same number of hours) is amazing. With the re-cable I have described for you the increase in detail, transparency, the increase in spaciousness and soundstage, improved bass control, and a newfound smoothness in the highs.

The stock headphones are not bad, and are actually very enjoyable, but these are a whole new order of magnitude better. The degree of rewarding listening exceeds the stock ones in every way. I don't find these to do anything that takes away from what the stock 780 have to offer when stock, they only add to the experience.

Since I got these 9 days ago to test them, I have enjoyed them immensely, and I look forward to seeing the look on the rightful owner's face when he hears them for the first time. I expect that next weekend we will be able to do more comparisons between the two versions of cables, after I have some hours on the new 18G Jenna Labs cryowire.

Cheers!

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #93 of 477
Hi, I've just order an ALO780 with Jenna Labs cryowire after reading your review here. Please allow me to ask a noob question. How long is the warranty for this headphone by ALO, is it 1 year same as their cable? Thanks.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #94 of 477
I placed my order this a.m., too, after following this thread since late last week. Was looking for a good closed can to complement my K701's. Should be getting a second amp in a week or so, and want to have both ready to go at any given time! Will look forward to this continuing thread. BTW, ALO now has this on their website under headphone products.

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #95 of 477
You guys won't be sorry...these Jena cabled ALO 780s are magnificent!

I only have about 50 hours of burn on mine...give or take...so I can only imagine what I am going to hear in 100 more.

My ability to describe the sound is a far cry from HeadphoneAddicts, but here is another quick take as I listen to a little DMB...

Man...the details I am hearing are incredible! The bass is just hitting perfectly. The highs are smoothing out nicely...not that they were ever harsh, they just seem to be 'maturing'
smily_headphones1.gif
really well. I am hearing things I never heard before...and picking up on the subtleties of all the instruments.

The clamping power of the 780s is easing up as well...they are getting more comfortable each day.

To have a set of closed cans like this has taken all of my attention off of looking to pick anything else up. I think that I will be a happy dude for a long time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotta run...
smily_headphones1.gif

RIDE

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #96 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should be my last update until I receive my old HFI-780's back, but with the 18G Jenna Labs Cryo Wire installed. I expect them early in the week (hopefully by Tuesday).

I have 241 hours on these 780's with 20G Vampire Wire, and they seem to have been burned-in since around 200 hours, possibly as early as 180 hours. My stock ones that I sent to Ken last week were at over 250 hours, and those still had some excess in the treble area. If I had never heard the ALO780, I would probably have been perfectly happy with them.

However, the the difference in sound between those stock ones and these ALO modded ones (at nearly the same number of hours) is amazing. With the re-cable I have described for you the increase in detail, transparency, the increase in spaciousness and soundstage, improved bass control, and a newfound smoothness in the highs.

The stock headphones are not bad, and are actually very enjoyable, but these are a whole new order of magnitude better. The degree of rewarding listening exceeds the stock ones in every way. I don't find these to do anything that takes away from what the stock 780 have to offer when stock, they only add to the experience.

Since I got these 9 days ago to test them, I have enjoyed them immensely, and I look forward to seeing the look on the rightful owner's face when he hears them for the first time. I expect that next weekend we will be able to do more comparisons between the two versions of cables, after I have some hours on the new 18G Jenna Labs cryowire.

Cheers!

When you see me as a hobo on the side of the road with nothing to my name but a pair of ALO 780's, you can rest assured it's your fault
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #97 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
I look forward to seeing the look on the rightful owner's face when he hears them for the first time. I expect that next weekend we will be able to do more comparisons between the two versions of cables, after I have some hours on the new 18G Jenna Labs cryowire.
Cheers!
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you see me as a hobo on the side of the road with nothing to my name but a pair of ALO 780's, you can rest assured it's your fault
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, the rightful owner got the ALO780 tonight, and it was funny watching a grown man giggle like a little school girl as he took his first listen
biggrin.gif

Blutarsky, enjoy them!

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #99 of 477
I GOT THE 18G Jenna Labs Cryo Wire ALO-780 in TODAY.

Let me start by saying that it is hard to put into words what the Edition 9 do better than other Ultrasones, but whatever the stock HFI780/PL750/2500 do, the Edition 9 expands on that in a good way. This is where the ALO Vampire Wire 780's come in - they significantly bridged the gap between the $1,500 Edition 9 and any other Ultrasone (or other headphones for that matter). They don't replace the Edition 9, they compliment them. The 18G Jenna Labs wire on the other hand is closer to striking distance of the Edition 9 than I expected.
eek.gif

With the ALO Vampire Wire modded 780's vs the Edition 9, the 9's are somewhat more refined, like listening to a Steinway grand piano vs a nice Yamaha upright. However, on the other side of the coin, with a good source and amp, you probably could tell what make piano or violin the musician is playing with either one (only if you could do that in person as well). "Doctor, when I get this operation done, will I be able to play the piano? Sure. Wow, because I could never play the piano before!"

I mentioned before that the Edition 9 seems to carry more weight and body to the music than the HFI780 - the instruments are just a bit more solid with more texture when you imagine listening to them. The Edition 9 are smoother and not as bright as the stock 780, BUT the ALO modded Vampire Wire have a much smoother treble by 200 hours, which gets them very close to the Edition 9 Treble. The soundstage seems to be a little deeper with Edition 9 than the Vampire Wire modded 780, but it is always a wide stage, and BOTH have a bigger soundstage than stock 780. The differences are not surprising considering the Edition 9 cost 3x more than the Vampire Wire 780's. The fact that the Vampire Wire 780's come so close to the Edition 9 is a testament to the quality of the 780, and Ken's ingenuity for finding a way to bring out the best in these headphones. I really didn't think they could get any better, at least not with my mid-range source and amps.

That brings me to the 780's with 18G Jenna Labs Cryo Wire: Wow! I just got these today and they have come even closer to the vaulted Edition 9 sound than the 20G Vampire Wire version. If the stock PL2500 are 70% of the Edition 9 (less bass and body, distant mids, sharper highs), the stock HFI780 are 80% of the Edition 9 (more forward with strong bass), the 20G Vampire 780 are 90% of the Edition 9 (more transparent and deep, less highs), then the 18G JL cryowire is 95% of the Edition 9 sound (more smooth and powerful and full bodied).

My HFI780 had 250 hours on them when I sent them in for the 18G JL Cryo'd cable, and they already sound a little better than the Vampire wire version did at 250 hours today (10am today was 250hr). I listened to both A/B for about 45 minutes this afternoon, before meeting Blutarsky (Scott) to give him his Vampire wired 780's. Then he and I compared the two briefly when we met tonight, and we both agreed that with the 18G JL 780's there is a subtle increase in transparency, especially in the 4-8Khz frequency range, with the JL cryowire vs the 20G Vampire Wire. The 20G JL 780's are a little warmer, and there is also more bass impact while still maintaining a tight and detailed bass. We are going to meet again this weekend after another 100 hours of music, and compare them again. I loaned him my iBasso D1 with the "780 opamp combo" and some digital cables, so he could get a chance to hear them the way I did.

At this point, if you are seriously in the market for an Edition 9, you might want to consider the $595 ALO 18G JL cryowire 780 instead of the Edition 9. Then buy a good source with the savings, put 200 hours on the phones to break them in, and enjoy the giggles.

Larry

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #100 of 477
Quote:

I GOT THE 18G Jenna Labs Cryo Wire ALO-780 in TODAY.

Let me start by saying that it is hard to put into words what the Edition 9 do better than other Ultrasones, but whatever the stock HFI780/PL750/2500 do, the Edition 9 expands on that in a good way. This is where the ALO Vampire Wire 780's come in - they significantly bridged the gap between the $1,500 Edition 9 and any other Ultrasone (or other headphones for that matter). They don't replace the Edition 9, they compliment them. The 18G Jenna Labs wire on the other hand is closer to striking distance of the Edition 9 than I expected.
eek.gif

With the ALO Vampire Wire modded 780's vs the Edition 9, the 9's are somewhat more refined, like listening to a Steinway grand piano vs a nice Yamaha upright. However, on the other side of the coin, with a good source and amp, you probably could tell what make piano or violin the musician is playing with either one (only if you could do that in person as well). "Doctor, when I get this operation done, will I be able to play the piano? Sure. Wow, because I could never play the piano before!"

I mentioned before that the Edition 9 seems to carry more weight and body to the music than the HFI780 - the instruments are just a bit more solid with more texture when you imagine listening to them. The Edition 9 are smoother and not as bright as the stock 780, BUT the ALO modded Vampire Wire have a much smoother treble by 200 hours, which gets them very close to the Edition 9 Treble. The soundstage seems to be a little deeper with Edition 9 than the Vampire Wire modded 780, but it is always a wide stage, and BOTH have a bigger soundstage than stock 780. The differences are not surprising considering the Edition 9 cost 3x more than the Vampire Wire 780's. The fact that the Vampire Wire 780's come so close to the Edition 9 is a testament to the quality of the 780, and Ken's ingenuity for finding a way to bring out the best in these headphones. I really didn't think they could get any better, at least not with my mid-range source and amps.

That brings me to the 780's with 18G Jenna Labs Cryo Wire: Wow! I just got these today and they have come even closer to the vaulted Edition 9 sound than the 20G Vampire Wire version. If the stock PL2500 are 70% of the Edition 9 (less bass and body, distant mids, sharper highs), the stock HFI780 are 80% of the Edition 9 (more forward with strong bass), the 20G Vampire 780 are 90% of the Edition 9 (more transparent and deep, less highs), then the 18G JL cryowire is 95% of the Edition 9 sound (more smooth and powerful and full bodied).

My HFI780 had 250 hours on them when I sent them in for the 18G JL Cryo'd cable, and they already sound a little better than the Vampire wire version did at 250 hours today (10am today was 250hr). I listened to both A/B for about 45 minutes this afternoon, before meeting Blutarsky (Scott) to give him his Vampire wired 780's. Then he and I compared the two briefly when we met tonight, and we both agreed that with the 18G JL 780's there is a subtle increase in transparency, especially in the 4-8Khz frequency range, with the JL cryowire vs the 20G Vampire Wire. The 20G JL 780's are a little warmer, and there is also more bass impact while still maintaining a tight and detailed bass. We are going to meet again this weekend after another 100 hours of music, and compare them again. I loaned him my iBasso D1 with the "780 opamp combo" and some digital cables, so he could get a chance to hear them the way I did.

At this point, if you are seriously in the market for an Edition 9, you might want to consider the $595 ALO 18G JL cryowire 780 instead of the Edition 9. Then buy a good source with the savings, put 200 hours on the phones to break them in, and enjoy the giggles.

Larry

Larry,

Hey man awesome. I have a hard time articulating what I am hearing sometimes into words. You have described the diff between the 2, JenaLabs and Vampire wire to a TEE. Your 18G 780s are going to get a bit better after about 150 hours.

The edition9s are pretty amazing though, agreed that they have a certain something over even the 18G modded version of the 780s. I have to really bow, take my hat off, give a standing ovation, to Ultrasone for making such a knock out headphone in the Edition9. I hope they continue to make winners like the Edition9 and the HFI780s. The E9 is a "limited edition" headphone and could be discontinued at any moment. I do hope that they continue the tradition in making a ultra high end headphone. Ultrasone has really secured themselves at the top IMO as one of the best audiophile grade headphone companies.

(quick story here and its totally my option here so if you think I am full of crap thats okay)

When I was at the CES show a few months ago I got to talking with the Sony rep who worked in the "personal audio" division (headphones). I identified my self as a cable maker, headphone modder, person in the biz. When he saw my wacky iMod, amp and cables he kind of figured I was not there to check out the ear buds. He had me listen to the new Digital NC Sony headphones and wanted my take on them. Well they are what they are I told him, and IMO they were not what I would be wanting to use, but people like me are by far in the minority in the market (Larry and I are freaks
tongue.gif
). The big dough is in the Boise Qc3 type market, mass market. So you will not see many companies going out on a limb to make a superior quality headphone like the E9, GS1000, etc... Sadly. Sony made the R10 a long time ago, they have had the technology to make a killer headphone for a long time. They dont make a R10 now because so few people (in the big picture) would buy one. Anyways I feel that the E9 is very much a rare treat for the uber audio nuts (us).

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 4, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #101 of 477
I tell people, like I told Jamato8 in PM, to get the Edition 9 if one can afford them, but if money is an issue the 18G JL Cryo 780 is a great alternative.

Like I said, the modded 780 don't replace the Edition 9, they compliment them. So the Edition 9 stay, but get used less. My re-cabled RS-2 and HF-1 sound close to the HP-1000, but I can't seem to bring myself to sell those HP-2 either
very_evil_smiley.gif

At one point I considered selling them to buy a Zana Deux, but that's like selling the needle to buy the thread.

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #102 of 477
Quote:

At one point I considered selling them to buy a Zana Deux, but that's like selling the needle to buy the thread.

If you ever get the chance check out the Yamamoto HA-02 amp with the UE9. I am sure that the Zana is more powerful and better for more headphones but for the UE9/780 I wonder.

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #104 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken, by any chance have you built an HFI-780 w/ the 18 gauge Jenna Labs Cryo Wires covered in a black techflex or cotton cover? If yes could you post a couple of pictures. Thanks.

Hey Mararroyo,

I have not had that request, yet. But I will post it when that comes up.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back