Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Mar 1, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #61 of 477
OMG!

Just got my ALO 780s litterally minutes ago and have them on as I type. 'WOW' was the first word out of my mouth...these are not burned in but they still sound wicked!
smily_headphones1.gif

Esthetically these are a HUGE improvment over the 750s...they have a clean, high end look to them. And the Jenna Cryo cable just looks amazing...super beefy cable and certainly far from descreet.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hooked into my set up with the other jumbo cryos...its going to turn some heads for sure!
wink.gif

Isolation is incredible...they really close out the world when you put them on. I will say that the clamping power is very strong...but I hear that will loosen up as time goes by. I plan on burning them in and putting something there to give them a bit of a stretch.

Only had a few minutes so I just ran through a few songs....from Muse, to AC/DC, Maroon 5, Earth Wind & Fire, and a little Black Crowes for a quick sampling and these babies handled the all superbly!

Highs are crisp...and I do hear some of that sizzle but it's not bad at all. Bass is tight, fast, and spot on for my liking. Again, I need to get some burn on these, but I am digging these right out of the box. I can only imagine what a little time will do to these.

Ken...amazing work my friend. I can't believe how much effort must have gone into these 780s. You guys are amazing...and I will continue to report back as these burn in.

Gotta run...but I wanted to give you all a quick first impression.

RIDE

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #62 of 477
Thanks for the update....enjoy the music.

Pictures of your setup please.

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #63 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict:

Have you noticed any change in sensitivity (sound volume) with the modified 780s compared with stock or the UE9?

I don't think so.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #64 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People, just remember that proper positioning of the Ultrasone headphone is an important part of listening to the S-Logic coming out of the earcups. Have the headband positioned forward toward the front of your head and secondly push the ear cups down low on the ears. The second is not as noticeable as the first in changing their sound.

I did notice a change, cool! Thanks for the tip.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #65 of 477
Here you go gang...some quick and dirties of my ALO set up including my new ALO 780s.

I've been burning in these cans and only sneaking a periodic listen. Still just blown away...these are just incredible!

Enjoy the pics!

RIDE
------------------------------------------------------------------------

R0014605.jpg

R0014610.jpg

R0014613.jpg

R0014617.jpg

R0014625.jpg

R0014626.jpg

R0014622.jpg

R0014631.jpg

R0014627.jpg

R0014624.jpg

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #66 of 477
They do look nice. I, of course, am waiting for mine to be delivered, modified and returned with the same cable and quarter inch plug.

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #69 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to wait to go into detail about the sound but let me put it to you this way, I also have a Edition 9 that I modified and I dare say that my modified HFI780 is close to the sound of my MODDED E9. I need to compare the Modded HFI780 to stock E9 to see where we are at. Anyway you cut it the ALO modded HFI780 is going to be a sweet deal, a awesome closed back headphone. For those who do not all ready know a Ultrasone Edition 9 is $1500 stock.

I will report back soon.

Ken

Are the modded HFI780 with the vampire cables 300 ohm?

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #70 of 477
Dude, Ride

That is probably the nicest looking portable/transportable setup ever. You were right, all that 18g wire with the LOD and interconnects as well just makes for one overall goooooddddd looking scheme.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #71 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, Ride

That is probably the nicest looking portable/transportable setup ever. You were right, all that 18g wire with the LOD and interconnects as well just makes for one overall goooooddddd looking scheme.

Right on Luminette!

I really do love it...and can bypass the Portable Vcap if I want to make things more manageable...but so far it's really been no problem to use this as my portable set up.

Like the color scheme too...all back baby
smily_headphones1.gif
except for the silver Diablo dials and some other machining and script here and there.

And back on topic...these 780s just get better and better! Been a busy weekend, but I have been able to sneak in some listening here and there. These do not seem to have any weaknesses!

Will report more later...

RIDE

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #72 of 477
So that nobody think to help me, bunch of.............
mad.gif

i asked your help in polite form, but you ignored me....
I appreciate the thoughtfulness of only a few.

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #73 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif

I will receive my ALO-780 tomorrow, I'll let you how my impressions of the soundstage later this week.

Cheers

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #74 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by skatanik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, could you test your modded 780 with your Predator? I would like to buy this particulary combo. Thanks!

Got my Predator back the other day. Posted in the "other 780 thread" about it, but I'll answer here that they sound SCHWEET! with the Predator. Absolutely wonderful combination. Highly recommended.

Also, I mentioned before the D1 DAC seems a little bright with the opamps I have for it, and I am looking for an LM6172 for the DAC socket. In the meantime, I switched the iBasso D1 with CDP/iRiver optical out to a HeadRoom Micro DAC, and feeding that into the HeadFive makes another great combination.

I hope to have more opamps for the iBasso D1 DAC to try later in the week, but for now I have no problems at all with the treble and HeadFive like I did at first. The amp section is just right when teamed with the D1 DAC, but when using the DAC alone via line out then it is brighter. I confirmed this by feeding the headphone out from D1 into the HeadFive, and the brightness wasn't there.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #75 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif

Whoa there little buddy. This isn't my job, it is a hobby. Let's try to keep it fun shall we?
smily_headphones1.gif

I missed your question in the very short second paragraph of your post.

Quote:

Can you said to me the size in feet or metters (if it apply) that this modified headphone reach in the soundstage depth?
Thank you very much in advance, kind Sir.

I've described soundstage in terms of versus other headphones, such as shallower than HD600 but deeper than Grado, or as being wide and not narrow, because naming feet isn't always easy. I would say soundstage is 2-3x wider than it is deep in most cases. It got deeper with burn-in, and seemed to be done changing by last night. Then last night, after feeling sure the headphones were done burning-in, I switched out the iBasso D1 DAC for a HeadRoom Micro-DAC and sound stage deepened more again.

I just put on "Jazz at the Pawnshop" and the live crowd sounds like it may go back 40 feet behind me, but I am on stage with the musicians, and it feels about 12 feet wide and about 6-7 feet deep as the music is centered in my upper forehead.

Chick Corea Band, "Alive" live concert sounds like I am about 30-40 feet away from the stage in a 60 foot wide venue, but it sounds like the band is 20 feet wide.

Those are the only two albums I have time to deal with right now. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back