Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Mar 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #121 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken, by any chance have you built an HFI-780 w/ the 18 gauge Jenna Labs Cryo Wires covered in a black techflex or cotton cover? If yes could you post a couple of pictures. Thanks.

I have just ordered that combo. Hope it will be sent sooooon
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #123 of 477
Just received my headphone today. Thanks for the great service by Ken.

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #124 of 477
I just notice this sentence on Ken's statement

Quote:

We place acoustic vibration dampening material in various parts inside headphone as well as removal of the diode board.

Does this impact much over standard HFI-780?
Is this similar mod like the one that Markl do to his D5000?
and I'm asking honest impression, does standard recabling procedure makes the most effect or this dampening mod do the most works for sonic improvement?

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #125 of 477
I know this is off topic but I am so freaked out by this.

The docks I am making on the front page of Stereophile., via Stephens blog.

Stereophile: Home Page

wired!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 7, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #126 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, thanks for the very detailed reviews on what looks like an amazing headphone.

Would you mind doing a very short comparison of the d2000 vs the ALO-780?

I am wondering the differences in bass and detail mostly.

Do the 780's have as much bass as the d2000?

I did my D2000 vs ALO780 comparison tonight. Don't forget I have the APS v2 cable on my D2000.

I'd say the D2000 is a little slower, especially on the initial attack of piano notes, and tends to smooth over some of the sound and blend it together a little. This makes for a more relaxed can that puts you maybe in the 2nd or 3rd row, instead of on stage like the ALO-780's. They have a good solid bass, but not quite the attack and impact of the ALO-780. That makes them remind me of a closed version of the HD600 when the HD600 has the improved HD650 cable. I said "reminds me of" as in similar sound signature, but "not sounds just like". The HD600 with APS v3 cable or 18G Jenna Labs cryo cable is still better than the re-cabled D2000 at retrieving details and reproducing an accurate soundstage.

The ALO-780 has a quicker attack, and punchier bass, with crisp edges to the notes that bring out some extra detail and layering the way the HD600 with high-end cable does. The mids are a little more forward/up front and they put you up on stage, similar to a Grado but with a bigger soundstage that my RS-2 (my SR-60 and HF-1 have a bigger soundstage than RS-2). The highs on the ALO-780 have mellowed out to the same level as the re-cabled D2000 and re-cabled HD600, which is a welcome improvement over stock. When listening to the ALO-780 first, and then switching to the D2000, you can hear the D2000 sound a little more like a closed can, while the ALO-780 sound more like an open can to me.

Mar 7, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #127 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wired!

Ken

Oooh... Deja Vu, as I was just reading that this afternoon
eek.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #128 of 477
My friend just got his 780 with the Jena cable, and his amps are the Raptor and the Predator...His initial impressions when compared to his other cans(HHF-1, ALO-701) was for some reason the 780 sounded thin and hollows with the Raptor...the base was good, but not focused at all. He said his ALO-701 actuallys sounded better than the 780...

However, when he changed the amp to the Predator, the 780 sounded awesome!

Could this be the syndetical of the 780 between tubes and solidstates amp?

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #129 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend just got his 780 with the Jena cable, and his amps are the Raptor and the Predator...His initial impressions when compared to his other cans(HHF-1, ALO-701) was for some reason the 780 sounded thin and hollows with the Raptor...the base was good, but not focused at all. He said his ALO-701 actuallys sounded better than the 780...

It may be that the ALO-701 just sound better to him than the ALO-780, as simple as that. I was using the tube amp Yamamoto HA-02 with my stock 780 before sending if off to Ken for re-cabling. I should get it back first of next week to see for sure. My Yamamoto HA-02 tube amp is more detailed than the AT-HA5000 SS amp that I had. So don't think some tube amps when properly designed and configured can't push like SS.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #130 of 477
Quote:

Well this is just pure speculation on my part but, it could be that the tubes currently in the Raptor are not a good match with the 780's them self.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #131 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this is just pure speculation on my part but, it could be that the tubes currently in the Raptor are not a good match with the 780's them self.

Thats what I thought too...I know tubes can push as hard as SS, especially with amp like Raptor, but maybe some tube rolling is required to get a good match with the 780?

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #132 of 477
I figured that tube rolling would have to come into play much like how HeadphoneAddict had posted about his findings opamp rolling with his iBasso D1.(I think he did some tube rolling too with his darkvoice but I cannot confirm that at the moment.)

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #133 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wired!

Ken

And the best thing is that it's actually your product, and not someone else's knockoff!

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #134 of 477
Quote:

There is also the issue of burn-in - these headphones NEED burn-in, period.

Ken posted this earlier: Quote:

Originally Posted by KB
I got to compare yours to a new set I also finished today. Its was neat to hear the differences in yours (burned in) and the brand new ones I did. I was pretty amazed at how much better yours sounded as your drivers are broken in. Obviously the burn in period if very significant for these HFI780s. The thing that stuck out the most between the 2 was how unrelaxed, honky and somewhat tinny the new ones sounded COMPARED to yours (its all relevant). Keep in mind that both had the 18G cable new installed when I was comparing them. I am sure the new one will eventually catch up to yours and they will both sound exactly the same. That driver needs to be softened up before its going to sound like is suppose to sound. Also once your cable gets about 80 or so hours on it, it will also sound a bit better.

And, yes, i did find that certain amps, or tube and opamp combinations worked better for the 780 than others, but as the ALO-780 burn-in the amp selection becomes less important (i.e. by 200-250 hours).

The beautiful thing is that a 48 hour ALO-780 sounds better than a 200+ hour stock 780.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back