Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Feb 28, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #46 of 477
146 Hour update:

I think the sound stage is opening up just a little more than 24 hours ago. The biggest difference is the treble continues to improve, while the stock HFI780 did not loose as much of the brightness as these have. This is with the same tubes I had in the 336i last night.

I am thoroughly pleased with these re-cabled ALO-780.

I forgot to mention, Ken got my stock HFI-780 Wednesday (I can't say today, now that I past midnight) and I opted for the 18G Jenna Labs Cryo-wire. So I guess you will be getting my opinion of JL wire on a 780 after all...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #47 of 477
Now I'm wondering if I should have opted for balanced, since I have an Apogee Mini-DAC coming, and it can drive balanced headphones. That would kill any idea of using the ALO-780 portable, and I'm not sure I'm prepared for that.

Then again, I could always buy another stock 780 for portable...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #49 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
146 Hour update:

I think the sound stage is opening up just a little more than 24 hours ago. The biggest difference is the treble continues to improve, while the stock HFI780 did not loose as much of the brightness as these have. This is with the same tubes I had in the 336i last night.

I am thoroughly pleased with these re-cabled ALO-780.

I forgot to mention, Ken got my stock HFI-780 Wednesday (I can't say today, now that I past midnight) and I opted for the 18G Jenna Labs Cryo-wire. So I guess you will be getting my opinion of JL wire on a 780 after all...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Love your updates! And cool to hear you went with the Jena Labs set up. Mine may be here as soon as tomorrow...uh, I mean today (Thursday), or at the latest Friday. I am giddy!

RIDE

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #50 of 477
I have finally decided to purchase the ALO HFI-780 ! I just can't wait to receive them
smily_headphones1.gif

I will also purchase a pair of Telefunken 6AM6 tubes for my MKIII, from what I heard, these tubes have a particularly airy and extended treble which I might prefer with the 780s for Prog-Rock music. (Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Ayreon, etc.)

I'll let you know my impressions soon. (I hope
rolleyes.gif
)

Feb 29, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #53 of 477
I'm currently looking for a pair of 'phones to finally end my upgrade-itis that's no more than $500ish, that have great bass slam/impact, excellent mids and highs, and a good soundstage. Initially, I was thinking the open Darth Beyers were perfect, but after reading reports that even the unmodded HFI 780's had some abandoning their Darths, I'm now leaning towards ALO 780's as my final end-all can. I read a post by silverrain stating that the stock HFI 780 was almost as good as the Darth Beyers, so does the modded 780 surpass the Darth Beyer then? Is this can pretty much the perfect fit for me? Right now, after reading headphoneaddict's review, these have me more excited than anything I can remember really...
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #54 of 477
Well, time for my every 24 hour report on the burn-in of the ALO-780 20G Vampire Wire re-cabled de-dioded HFI-780.

First I'll answer a question from above. I had some very well burned-in Darth V3 (one of the two first v3 made) and they had a very distant midrange to me and boomy mid-bass that both flaws required EQ to make them enjoyable to me. Taking out 4db in the 64-125Hz range and adding 3-4db at 250-1000Hz got them sounding really good. I did find the Meier Headsix portable amp, or DV336i with Raytheon tubes had good synergy with the Darths when EQ wasn't available.

But, I like the 780 better in every way, except the cool woodied looks that are missing.
tongue.gif

Right now, at just under 170 hours, these ALO modded 780's have no more sizzle treble and I am listening to them with my Meier HeadFive directly from line out of my iRiver H140 with Apple Lossless files, and they sound great. The tube choices I previously made are perfect from the 336i via Marantz CD5001, and the opamps in the iBasso D1 are pretty darn good out of my Macbook via Headstage USB DAC or the built-in D1 DAC. I no longer need to look for a warmer less bright opamp in the iBasso DAC.

The positive comments I have previously had on the details, and layering, and bass control, all still apply. I suspect they may be done burning in at around 160-170 hours. Tomorrow night at just under 200 hours I should have a good idea if burn-in is done or if there are more changes. The stock HFI780 weren't done burning in at 250 hours when I sent them for a re-cable, likely because of the diode board.

Early next week I'll report on the 18G Jenna Lab Cryo-wire re-cabled ALO-780. I've already mentioned how the 18G JL cable sounds vs the 20G Vampire Wire, based on previous experience, so I don't expect any of those differences to go away. However, the drivers on those will be burned-in already.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #55 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have finally decided to purchase the ALO HFI-780 ! I just can't wait to receive them
smily_headphones1.gif

I will also purchase a pair of Telefunken 6AM6 tubes for my MKIII, from what I heard, these tubes have a particularly airy and extended treble which I might prefer with the 780s for Prog-Rock music. (Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Ayreon, etc.)

I'll let you know my impressions soon. (I hope
rolleyes.gif
)

Hey I really want to hear your impression
biggrin.gif
Even stock these are great prog rock can's.

Feb 29, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #56 of 477
I agree with you said in the 2nd paragraph. i has to use EQ (in the bass and mids) with my DT770pro to sound decent (excellent) for me. Nevertheless i had to use -10db in the lowbass.... My Arietta and Xmod make this headphone to sound as another headphone (Excellent) but not as my DT990 (altough the amplification is not complete with it last. (it's more power ungry)). But i want to taste a different sound and because my DT770pro doesn't has enough bass slam and quality for my taste. And too and because that, is what i want to try this headphone.

Can you said to me the size in feet or metters (if it apply) that this modified headphone reach in the soundstage depth?
Thank you very much in advance, kind Sir.

Quote:

Well, time for my every 24 hour report on the burn-in of the ALO-780 20G Vampire Wire re-cabled de-dioded HFI-780.

First I'll answer a question from above. I had some very well burned-in Darth V3 (one of the two first v3 made) and they had a very distant midrange to me and boomy mid-bass that both flaws required EQ to make them enjoyable to me. Taking out 4db in the 64-125Hz range and adding 3-4db at 250-1000Hz got them sounding really good. I did find the Meier Headsix portable amp, or DV336i with Raytheon tubes had good synergy with the Darths when EQ wasn't available.

But, I like the 780 better in every way, except the cool woodied looks that are missing.
tongue.gif

Right now, at just under 170 hours, these ALO modded 780's have no more sizzle treble and I am listening to them with my Meier HeadFive directly from line out of my iRiver H140 with Apple Lossless files, and they sound great. The tube choices I previously made are perfect from the 336i via Marantz CD5001, and the opamps in the iBasso D1 are pretty darn good out of my Macbook via Headstage USB DAC or the built-in D1 DAC. I no longer need to look for a warmer less bright opamp in the iBasso DAC.

The positive comments I have previously had on the details, and layering, and bass control, all still apply. I suspect they may be done burning in at around 160-170 hours. Tomorrow night at just under 200 hours I should have a good idea if burn-in is done or if there are more changes. The stock HFI780 weren't done burning in at 250 hours when I sent them for a re-cable, likely because of the diode board.

Early next week I'll report on the 18G Jenna Lab Cryo-wire re-cabled ALO-780. I've already mentioned how the 18G JL cable sounds vs the 20G Vampire Wire, based on previous experience, so I don't expect any of those differences to go away. However, the drivers on those will be burned-in already.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #57 of 477
People, just remember that proper positioning of the Ultrasone headphone is an important part of listening to the S-Logic coming out of the earcups. Have the headband positioned forward toward the front of your head and secondly push the ear cups down low on the ears. The second is not as noticeable as the first in changing their sound.

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #58 of 477
Quote:

HeadphoneAddict:

Have you noticed any change in sensitivity (sound volume) with the modified 780s compared with stock or the UE9?

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #59 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you guys order your ALO HFI-780? I can only find the stock HFI-780 on their site
frown.gif

Hey Guys I am working to get the fully modded HFIs on my web sit now. In the mean time though you can just email me. They will be on the site soon though.

audiolineout@gmail.com

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back