Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Feb 26, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #31 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1/4 plug is do able. The cloth sleeving is better on the microphonics but tend to snag a lot. I do have the cloth stuff and can do.

Ken

This is exciting!
cool.gif
except for my wallet that has just disappeared.
eek.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #32 of 477
Well, the ALO-780 have about 97 hours on them now, and continue to impress me.

While I had switched back to the RCA grey glass VT-231 tube the other day, I went back to the Hytron and found that if the tube hasn't been running for a couple of hours, I don't like it as much. I have a Sylvania "bad boy" around here somewhere, but I seem to have misplaced it when I took it out for a hum that didn't burn-off. So, today I tried two or three other preamp tubes and found the Sylvania VT-231 to be a better match for these ALO-780 ($60 tube).

I can't try this tube with the stock HFI-780 because I don't have them right now. I was impressed enough with the mods that I sent my own off today to get the re-cable done. I was planning to get these to 150 hours of burn-in for my impressions for Ken, and than I will hand deliver these to another lucky ALO customer (here in town) in the next day or two, or three...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Listening to some Jazz tonight I put an effort into over-focusing on micro details - I can clearly hear the individual snare drum brush strokes, while with my HD600 and stock cable they sounded more like white noise or hissing (I loaned out my APS cable for a few days). That same bit of detail is missing from my APS v2 re-cabled Denon D2000, turning the brush on snare into an indistinct swooshing sound.

I believe the soundstage has deepened a bit, but I don't know if that is the tube change, or the headphones, either way I like it better. Jazz at the Pawnshop is clearly more deep, not just wide.

That's all for now - I'll report back after another 24 hours.

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #34 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, my question was for HeadphoneAddict
wink.gif

Thanks

See post #20 and 23.

I've only heard 325i once and thought they were pretty bright but not sibilant, similar to my Stax.

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #36 of 477
I'm sold! I thought a tube amp was in my immediate future, but it seems this would be a worthwhile purchase for my bedroom rig! Hmmm..maxxed out wooaudio 6 or 780s? BOTH?!
mad.gif

Feb 26, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #37 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sold! I thought a tube amp was in my immediate future, but it seems this would be a worthwhile purchase for my bedroom rig! Hmmm..maxxed out wooaudio 6 or 780s? BOTH?!
mad.gif

I have a WA6 being delivered to me tomorrow (or abouts) it is Maxxed, with the new design to accept the 6ew7 big bottle tubes. I also had Jack use our Au/Ag silver wire in silk throughout the amp as its internal hook up wire. I will be posting photos and some impressions on it in a separate dedicated thread soon. I Bought a NOS Mullard GZ34 tube, as well as some others. Should be wonderful with the 18G 780s.

More later! allow me to remove my drool now. Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 26, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #38 of 477
Quote:

I have a WA6 being delivered to me tomorrow (or abouts) it is Maxxed, with the new design to accept the 6ew7 big bottle tubes. I also had Jack use our Au/Ag silver wire in silk throughout the amp as its internal hook up wire. I will be posting photos and some impressions on it in a separate dedicated thread soon. I Bought a NOS Mullard GZ34 tube, as well as some others. Should be wonderful with the 18G 780s.

More later! allow me to remove my drool now. Thanks

Ken

...the modded k701 should be sweet with that also!!! *drool*

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #39 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by skatanik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, could you test your modded 780 with your Predator? I would like to buy this particulary combo. Thanks!

Sure, as soon as I get back from Skylab who used it for his recent review of portable amps.

Then I'll have to wait for my HFI780 to come back from ALO because I shipped to Ken for their own re-cable on Monday via 2nd day air. These re-cabled will go to their proper owner before I get the Predator back.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #40 of 477
That's it..........I did it! Got my HFI780s ordered and now I can't wait!

RIDE

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #41 of 477
A little bit of history on the 18G cable process. For a long time I was wrestling with how to get the fat 18G JenLabs Cryo wire to solder stress free to the (any) headphone solder pad. I knew if I could only get that baby in there with out ripping the delicate bits of the driver/ damaging the voice coil, it would be a real, real nice breakthrough. I use to do this fancy splice at the "y" split where the 18G would meet up with several 22G wires but never really like that because that process is tricky and very time consuming. Well with the ALO-780s I licked the problem (puzzle) and was just tonight enjoying a pair of the 18G JL cabled 780s and have to say that it was really a happy and satisfying moment for me. Until I had to package them up and send em to Steve (customer), oh well! Seriously though people who pick up a pair of these please report back to this thread, especially the 18G JL Cryoed versions.

Thanks!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #42 of 477
Quote:

A little bit of history on the 18G cable process. For a long time I was wrestling with how to get the fat 18G JenLabs Cryo wire to solder stress free to the (any) headphone solder pad. I knew if I could only get that baby in there with out ripping the delicate bits of the driver/ damaging the voice coil, it would be a real, real nice breakthrough. I use to do this fancy splice at the "y" split where the 18G would meet up with several 22G wires but never really like that because that process is tricky and very time consuming. Well with the ALO-780s I licked the problem (puzzle) and was just tonight enjoying a pair of the 18G JL cabled 780s and have to say that it was really a happy and satisfying moment for me. Until I had to package them up and send em to Steve (customer), oh well! Seriously though people who pick up a pair of these please report back to this thread, especially the 18G JL Cryoed versions.

Thanks!

Ken

Hey...those are mine Ken!
wink.gif
LOL

Seriously...thanks a ton, and I can't wait to listen to them! Sounds like at lot of time and effort went into these...and the result should be amazing.

You will get a report here soon!

RIDE (Steve)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #43 of 477
Well, time for my 24 hour update. The ALO-780 have 123 hours on them now.

I do believe the treble has calmed down a little. But, with the re-cabled Ultrasone HFI780 I've been searching for amp synergy, and having found it can be some of it. All I know is that it doesn't bother me at all tonight, but there is no lack of treble either.

They didn't suddenly turn dull or anything, no dramatic changes. But, clapping on Jazz at the Pawnshop sounds quite real, and soundstage has opened up further. They still have a forward and not distant presentation, but the instruments don't sound as close together as before. Saxophones are much more natural and balanced with the burn-in and amp/tube synergy. No details are missing, and they sound best that they ever have.

As previously posted, I first found the DarkVoice 336i with Sylvania VT-231 ($60) in front and Tung Sol 5998 ($30) in the back is best for home amp, keeping the sound stage as big as possible, while taming the bright treble.

Tonight I spent a couple of hours swapping opamps in the iBasso D1 to see what suited the HFI780 best. I ended up with:
AD743x2 in the LR with a 2:1 adapter (the AD797 were very close), and the
LMH6643 in the buffers (instead of the AD8397 which was a little harsh), and the
LTC6241HV in the DAC (instead of LT6234 which was brighter).

This D1 opamp combo seems fantastic with the HFI780, although the DAC might still need a little taming. But soundstage depth is improved, and the frequency balance seems just right, while everything is very transparent. No details are lost with these opamps either, and they will play as loud as I need them to. It sounds very similar to the DarkVoice 336i now
eek.gif
HiFlight has been recommending I try some of these opamps for a while, and now I'm sorry I didn't try it sooner.

When skipping the iBasso DAC and using my Headstage USB DAC, the sound is wonderfully transparent, natural and full without any excessive brightness. The original opamp selections were optimal for my Grado RS-2 with APS V3 cable, Denon D2000 with APS v2 cable, HD600 with APS v3 cable, and Edition 9/Proline 2500. I will try all those other headphones with these opamps during the day Wednesday sometime.

So, next is to try more opamps in the DAC - I have left over OPA2111, AD746, AD823, LT1364, LM4562 (2), LME49720NA (2), AD8397 (2), and AD8066, AD8616, AD8656. Based on previous recent posts, I'm thinking the LM4562 will be the next one to try.

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #44 of 477
I wouldn't mind knowing how the 780's sound compared to the re-cabled 701's. The idea of such high-quality folding headphones appeals to me greatly.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #45 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by RIDE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey...those are mine Ken!
wink.gif
LOL

Seriously...thanks a ton, and I can't wait to listen to them! Sounds like at lot of time and effort went into these...and the result should be amazing.

You will get a report here soon!

RIDE (Steve)
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool! thanks I am sure you will be smiling with that one. See now your search for a closed can is over and you can move on to spending all your money on locating a open can! will it never end?

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back