Ultrasone HFI-780 Appreciation Thread
Mar 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 34
Just ordered the 780 today, realy looking forward to hearing how it sounds.
Heard some great things about it.

Though, I did read about ppl having to change the cables and earpads quite a few times, whats up with that? Whats the problem with the cabling and pads?

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #17 of 34
Many people feel that the stock cable does not do the HFI 780 justice. Some have even replaced it with a shorter higher quality cable to go portable.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 34
Ah I see, thanks for the info.

Well I'll just have a listen first before I start thinking of changing the cable, I'm not going to use it for portable use on my iPod anyway so I hope they'll do the job just fine for me.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rideau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a pair of HFI-780 and a pair of Ultrasone Edition 9 Ear Pads, to replace my Ath-A900 and Beyer DT770 (2005ED). I'll let you guys know how it goes when i get them. I wonder if the Pads will make a difference?

Looking forward to hearing about this!
Noone's been brave enough to try it yet!

Also, where did you find a place to order the pads?

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #20 of 34
Mar 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 34
He has removed them, must be out of stock or due to Ultrasone discontinuing the model. The pad are just so comfortable.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rideau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He has removed them, must be out of stock or due to Ultrasone discontinuing the model. The pad are just so comfortable.

It's probably a combination of the two.

And I guess it's for the best. I have a high enough shopping list for audio as it is >.>

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnival /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably a combination of the two.

And I guess it's for the best. I have a high enough shopping list for audio as it is >.>

You can try Emailing Ken at ALO, he does respond to all emails. The ED9 pads do take the HFI-780's to a new level (comfort and sound).

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #25 of 34
go for the 780 or 900

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #26 of 34
Is the 780 worth the extra money over the 580's?

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #27 of 34
Here's a Phoenix Down for the hfi-780 thread!

I own the newest rendition of the 780 with apparently softer pads and the modular cable. In a different thread, dated Christmas of 2011 I believe, a head-fi'er commented that Ultrasone had changed the stock pads to these softer ones. 

Comfort wise, they're great. The headband pad and earpads are of the same material with what feels like a thick piece of foam with little compression factor. Despite having little give, they seal well and provide a good amount of space for my ears. People complain about the headband, but I like it. I find that if it is digging into your head, just reduce the overall clamp by extending the head band -- I've had great results. 

I think I'm in love! Not even 24 hours worth of burning in and these things sound wonderful. To my ears, the bass is just right, reaching down quite low and having a good amount of punch albeit a tiny bit weighty or loose. Expectedly, there's is no bleeding into the other frequencies. I do suspect a small hump somewhere in the midbass. 

For me, the mids are not recessed at all. If my modded sr60i's are mid forward, the 780's are only a hair less forward. Some people say the mids have a metallic sound to them, but I think they sound quite natural. Female and male voices sound as they should and with great clarity and fullness. 

The highs are nice and crisp. Perhaps I am a closet treble head, or maybe I have a high tolerance, but I listen to K-Pop and haven't had any problems with shrillness or sibilance. My most sibilant track is still listenable being on he borderline of sibilant. High hats and crash cymbals have a nice sparkle to them. 

I think my biggest surprise when I put these on was the presentation. I didn't bother with that stupid CD. I plugged it straight into my rockbox'd clip+ and my ears were taken aback. I listen mostly to my sr60i's, and these Ultrasones felt positively distant. After a minute though I felt like I was in a room with the performers, not a very large room, but the size of a high school classroom perhaps. It depends on the recording, really. S-Logic works for me -- though I have not actually had a headphone with a reputable soundstage. 

(TL;DR)
I absolutely love the freaking things. Aggressive yet reserved with great PRaT for rock.  Weighty, punchy bass; forward, natural mids; sparkly highs with little to no sibilance; and the lovely S-Logic presentation. Comfort is great, though as sweaty as circumaurals get in the right/wrong weather. I'm waiting for the 300 hour mark patiently, but I'm having no complaints on the way. 

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #29 of 34
I sold mine 2 months after I bought them because they were so unbeareably uncomfortable I thought my head was going to start bleeding. While listening, I found them to have a personally unattractive sound, especially for Trance, but I barely ever wore them (because of the pain) so don't take my word there.

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #30 of 34
I have owned my HFI 780s since August 2012. The right speaker just went dead but I am looking to get them fixed. We will see how that goes. I have seen quite a few other people with this problem. That said I have used these almost every day so they have been worth it even if I can't get them fixed.

Now that I have had them awhile...

At first they were really aggressive. I was really worried they were...bad! After a lot of break in they mellowed out a ton. So new users make sure you break these in.

They remind me somewhat of my Grado SR-80. If you like those you will like these. I think they sound reasonably nice for music but really shine in electronica. I use them mostly for PC games and I think they offer a great balance of "fun" and directional cues. You can probably get headphones that do either of those better but you will be hard pressed to find a set that does both well as a fun sounding headphone doesn't generally provide as good directional cues from my personal experience.

They are not particularly comfortable, but aren't horrible. They are wearable for long periods of time but it won't be amazingly pleasant. 

Construction is impressive(except for the speaker going out). I don't think you could break the structure of these things without trying really hard.

Sound isolation is reasonably good. When my wife is talking to me I can still hear her well enough unless something is playing. Good enough for most people's purposes.

I think they have an open headphone sound even though they are closed. I don't like most closed cans I try unless they are way more expensive.

Overall I would say these are an excellent set of headphones for the price I paid(150) Games and music both sound very good through them. I will update on the quality of Ultrasone's response when that settles out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back