Ultrasone HFI-680 of HFI-780?
Jun 26, 2011 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iamfir

New Head-Fier
Hello guys! Just wanted to ask another quick question. Detailed answers would be nice :). Any who, question is which of these two would be better for my genre? (same old question but just between these two). I listen to screamo/deathcore. I do listen to some rap and pop and stuff but I am not a bass head. I just wanted to know which has better lows, mids, highs, and soundstage. It would be wonderful if you could each critique them. Also the comfort level. Rate them if you'd like (i.e. Comfort 8/10). I just would like some FULLY DETAILED answers if I can get them.

Thanks again guys :)

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Hello guys! Just wanted to ask another quick question. Detailed answers would be nice :). Any who, question is which of these two would be better for my genre? (same old question but just between these two). I listen to screamo/deathcore. I do listen to some rap and pop and stuff but I am not a bass head. I just wanted to know which has better lows, mids, highs, and soundstage. It would be wonderful if you could each critique them. Also the comfort level. Rate them if you'd like (i.e. Comfort 8/10). I just would like some FULLY DETAILED answers if I can get them.

Thanks again guys :)

Mids are a little better on the 680s (although the 780s have decent mids), bass is much better on the 780s, soundstage is about the same (average for closed cans), highs are about the same on both (good treble energy that takes some time to get use to), and they are exactly the same in comfort (clamping force that needs to broken out a little).

Both respond well to EQ in the low frequency department.

If you don't want to eq anything or be willing to bass boost then I would go for the 780s but if you are willing to eq or bass boost then I would go for the 680s.
Many are not bassheads but that doesn't mean they can tolerate bass light phones. The 680s are slightly bass light while the 780s have just the right amount (not too much and not too little). The midrange on the 780s is pretty decent (average IMO). I would consider it not recessed at all as some say but more in line with the rest of the spectrum. They are not forward though but straight or just ever so slightly recessed. The 680s on the other hand have a more forward in your face midrange (not by a lot though). The vocals appear to be closer and slightly more detailed or refined. The bass just lacks though. Also the forwardness may or may not take away from the soundstage depending on how you hear them. Sometimes a forward midrange can make the soundstage appear smaller.

I would say the 780s are the better buy if you value bass a little more than midrange and the 680s are better if you value the midrange a little more than bass (but the 780s don't have bad midrange at all).

Also it is far easier to eq the bass on these things while keeping everything else clean than it is to eq the midrange (which is far harder to do).
So if you are willing to eq then the 680s are best since all you need to do is bump up the bass a small bit.

IMO
780 is a 7/10
680 is a 6.5/10

These scores are given because of the type of music I listen to the most. If I was more of an anti bass and more midrange (classical) type of guy then I would reverse the scores for the 680 and 780. I hope that helps.

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 7
     Quote:
Okay so, why so such a low score for the Ultra's? I thought they would be like "8/10" or "9.5/10" cause everyone keeps raving about them so...

It all depends on what sound signature is preferred.  For some the aggressiveness(sound wise) of the Ultrasone line is a bit much as they prefer a more neutral or laid back presentation, as such you'll see lower scores from them.  For others who prefer an aggressive presentation, you'll find much higher scores from them.

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 7
Maybe it's because I'm a headphone noob but I really like my 680, definitely recommended if you're looking for a fun can, and I don't think it's a step down in overall sound quality from a m50 or srh840. I definitely wouldn't call them bass light unless you're a total basshead though, they have a pretty decent bass boost.

Just stay far, far away if "Grado like treble" sounds horrifying, Digital-Pride is right on there. They also have a long, ugly burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back