Ultrasone HFI-580 vs. Sony XB500 [Comparison Review]
Mar 9, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #16 of 25

YES.

Quote:
One thing to mention. Yes, the HFI 580's bass CAN be EQed to XB500 levels but XB500 cannot be EQed to have the HFI 580 sound fidelity

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:
Well I doubt wind016 has ever owned XB500 even and he's been a huge HFI-580 fanboy in the past too so, he probably tried EQing it at the store out of his mp3 player quickly and hasn't given it a proper time. I'm willing to bet the difference wouldn't be huge at all if you'd really EQ it properly. (if you don't like how it sounds like out of box you often don't even bother giving it proper time and see what it can do with tweaking the settings etc)

Certain things you can't change with EQ though and that's soundstage for example and to some extent instrument separation where I probably believe the Ultrasones should do better.

I did have both XB500 and 700s. I had the 700s longer, about a month before I sold it to a friend. It really is far fetched to think either XBs will reach that amount of resolution in the mids and highs that the Ultrasones have regardless of whether it's through a thousand dollar DAC and amp or just an mp3 player. The HFI 580 has the biggest potential for bass out of any of the Ultrasone models that I've tried so that's the reason why I rave about it. But I rave about it paired with the Cowon S9 or J3 which has a fantastic EQ, so YMMV 

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
I did have both XB500 and 700s. I had the 700s longer, about a month before I sold it to a friend. It really is far fetched to think either XBs will reach that amount of resolution in the mids and highs that the Ultrasones have regardless of whether it's through a thousand dollar DAC and amp or just an mp3 player. The HFI 580 has the biggest potential for bass out of any of the Ultrasone models that I've tried so that's the reason why I rave about it. But I rave about it paired with the Cowon S9 or J3 which has a fantastic EQ, so YMMV 

YES.

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:

The XB500 were lot more muddy when compared to the HFI-580, the 580's brought so many details, but didn't quite have the bass presence the XB500's did. The HFI-580's do go quite low on the bass spectrum though, and they do seriously pound with songs like Alone With You - Deadmou5 (wasn't on the list).

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I just received both of these phones. At least one of the two will be going back so I am currently comparing them to each other and my [relatively bass-anemic but fantastic mids/highs] HD595s.

I bought them for exclusive use with my EDM music, especially trance, house, and vocal trance. And after an initial listen (obviously without the benefit of burn-in), even after [foobar/software] eq-ing, I feel like the HFI-580 (DJ1) are superior phones. I quoted Scytus's line about Deadmau5's "Alone With You" because that track/record happens to be my all-time favorite (out of all genres). I've listened to it about a billion times. It sounded poor on the XB500s but fantastic on the Ultrasones. I just feel like the bass quality/detail as well as vastly superior mids/highs in the Ultrasones are what really sets these two phones apart.

These are just my opinions, and it should be noted that I don't consider my ears particularly trained in evaluating sonic qualities. FYI, I listen via my Thinkpad through Foobar (w/ ASIO4ALL) through a HRT Music Streamer II linked directly to the phones.

On a less important note, the XB500s probably have the edge in comfort, but I find my DJ1s are also comfortable (at least for the hour they've been on my head)-- though since they don't have giant pillows, the clamping force is greater. Additionally, the XB500s kind of look ridiculous on your head whilst the DJ1s look pretty darn stylish in my opinion. Of course, none of that matters if you don't plan on using these portably, as I don't. I have NuForce NE-6s and Shure SCL4s for that purpose.
atsmile.gif

Also, FWIW, I would just like to note that I have been through all the phones listed below in the past couple months. The conclusion I have reached is that the Ultrasone DJ1 / HFI-580 are the best of the bunch when it comes to playing EDM with enough physical comfort.

Sony ZX700
Sony V6
Creative Aurvana Live
Denon HP700
Beyerdynamic DJX-1
Ultrasone Pro550
Audio Technica M50

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #22 of 25
I know I am again resurrecting an old thread, but I am choosing between these two phones and I was hoping a bump could bring in some more opinions.

Like some other posters in this thread, I listen to electronic/dance music primarily, along with some hip hop. I'm just looking for the best listening experience.

I am most likely going to purchase the HFI-580s in addition to the XB500s which I already own and return the one that sounds worse.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 25
just got these headphones so I keeping an eye out for everyones thoughts...I think I want to keep them. 

Basshead

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #25 of 25
I'm going to revive this thread because I'm looking for more comparisons between these two headphones, particularly I want to know if a former xb500 user can be converted to the 580s...I mean is the sound quality of the 580s that much greater than the xb500 that its worth the loss of bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back