Ultrasone Edition 9's - really that good?
Nov 2, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #91 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David not sure if they are still doing that right now, but some members have managed to get loaners from them or from some of the dealers to try them home...and do not quote me on that please....
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, I meant buy them and sell if I decide they aren't worth it (my loss, I rationalize would be like a rental fee). But you do give me hope of another option!
cool.gif

1. david

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #92 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I meant buy them and sell if I decide they aren't worth it (my loss, I rationalize would be like a rental fee). But you do give me hope of another option!
cool.gif

1. david

Man find out but you live in NJ, we could arrange an minimeeting, or two or three....beers are on you....
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #93 of 117
Quote:

Now, Sov, you seem to be wavering on the main theme of the Ultrasone thread which proved time and time again that a major burn-in effort is required to properly judge how great the UE9's. You now say headphone burn in and brain burn in are needed. This makes it really tough for anyone to really judge just by listening now doesn't it? Please clarify so those who listen can properly prepare/adjust for what to expect since all we can know is possibly whether the cans are burned in or not.

It's fairly obvious what is meant. It takes time for the headphones to break in, and it also takes time for the individual to adjust to the presentation, which is different than most other headphones' due to the angle at which the sound is directed toward the ear.

Quote:

With all that said, what is left to trust other than the specs which are almost exactly the same as Ultrasone's proline 2500 ($400 model) and your pics that there are physical differences between these cans with the same specs. This goes straight to the OP's question....are they worth $1200 and in what exact scenario are we supposed to be convinced?

If there's one thing that reveals a noob on these forums, it's the invocation of frequency extension specs as an indicator of the quality of the sound of a headphone.

And in answer to your question - no, ofcourse you aren't meant to be convinced. If you want to be convined, go and listen to a broken in pair. If you think they're worth $1200, then so be it. If not, then don't buy them.

This whole thread is absolutely nonsense IMO and was bound to end up in a flame war because what a thing is "worth" will differ wildly from person to person. In the end the argument will be reduced to "I like xxxx about the Ed9" and "I don't like xxxx about the Ed9", followed by variations on "I'm a genetic combination of superman and batman and my father owns 8 cows compared to your father's 6 cows, therefore I'm right".

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #94 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's fairly obvious what is meant. It takes time for the headphones to break in, and it also takes time for the individual to adjust to the presentation, which is different than most other headphones' due to the angle at which the sound is directed toward the ear.

If there's one thing that reveals a noob on these forums, it's the invocation of frequency extension specs as an indicator of the quality of the sound of a headphone.

And in answer to your question - no, ofcourse you aren't meant to be convinced. If you want to be convined, go and listen to a broken in pair. If you think they're worth $1200, then so be it. If not, then don't buy them.

This whole thread is absolutely nonsense IMO and was bound to end up in a flame war because what a thing is "worth" will differ wildly from person to person. In the end the argument will be reduced to "I like xxxx about the Ed9" and "I don't like xxxx about the Ed9", followed by variations on "I'm a genetic combination of superman and batman and my father owns 8 cows compared to your father's 6 cows, therefore I'm right".

You are just grumpy.
plainface.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #95 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Omega 2 is bitchy and won't come out unless given massive voltage swings unfortunately...sounds like pulpy crap out of 007tII to my ears (others like it...I am not on that list). Depends on the tastes I guess. I cannot really effectively comment on my experience with Edition 9 and Stax because my experience does not make sense to me physically, although that knowledge is limited.

Older AT/Stax e-stats are amusing =]

I know Omega II only through 717. With Accuphase DP-78 SACD and XLO Limited XLR beautifull, spatial and detailed sound (rather weak bass, unfortunately), but not more detailed than my system.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #96 of 117
Hi guys, great thread going here. Just to clear up any confusion about Sovkiller (Alberto)'s relationship to Ultrasone here is a statement from the CEO of UltrasoneUSA. If anybody has any questions, feel free to PM them to me. Other than that, this should be the end of the debate on whether he is in our pocket or not. Thanks

SovKiller (or Alberto Gomez) is not and never has been linked in any way financial or otherwise to Ultrasone of America, LLC or Ultrasone AG in Germany. We heard the Rudistor Amps that Rudi made specifically for his Ultrasones (which, by the way, he did without our knowledge, because he owned and loved his Ultrasones so much) and thought the would be a great companion product for our customers. I loved the amp, loved how it sounded and it made sense to offer them as a package with our headphones, so I asked Rudi if we could sell them. We buy amps made for the headphones directly from Rudi and we sell them on our site. Neither Rudi nor Alberto sell our headphones, receive any compensation from our headphones, or are in any way employed, contracted, etc. by Ultrasone of America, LLC or Ultrasone AG. They rave about their headphones because they love them. That's it.

Capice?

Cathy Kelly
President Ultrasone of America

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #97 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by themick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, great thread going here. Just to clear up any confusion about Sovkiller (Alberto)'s relationship to Ultrasone here is a statement from the CEO of UltrasoneUSA. If anybody has any questions, feel free to PM them to me. Other than that, this should be the end of the debate on whether he is in our pocket or not. Thanks

SovKiller (or Alberto Gomez) is not and never has been linked in any way financial or otherwise to Ultrasone of America, LLC or Ultrasone AG in Germany. We heard the Rudistor Amps that Rudi made specifically for his Ultrasones (which, by the way, he did without our knowledge, because he owned and loved his Ultrasones so much) and thought the would be a great companion product for our customers. I loved the amp, loved how it sounded and it made sense to offer them as a package with our headphones, so I asked Rudi if we could sell them. We buy amps made for the headphones directly from Rudi and we sell them on our site. Neither Rudi nor Alberto sell our headphones, receive any compensation from our headphones, or are in any way employed, contracted, etc. by Ultrasone of America, LLC or Ultrasone AG. They rave about their headphones because they love them. That's it.

Capice?

Cathy Kelly
President Ultrasone of America

Thanks Evan and Cathy for the note...
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #99 of 117
Quote:

Because there is fact that nobody can deny, mother nature, or life, or time, or God willingness, the fact is that mainly all of them, are older than me, by at least 10 years, and as a result, chances are that their hearing is a little worst than mine, and far worst than many of the younger guys here. It is a well known fact in medical circles, that the audiophiles seem to ignore, that hearing tends to deteriorate with the age, and I hope that you are also aware fo that...

Sure - but as hearing deteriorates, one's sonic tastes tend to "improve" ... so it all balances out in the end
wink.gif

Quote:

IMO they seem to listen waves instead of music, yeak!!!!!

while I hear a 60+ old guy talking about differences in powercords an cables...gimme a break!!!! probably you can not even hear 10KHz,

Just thought I'd point out the contradiction above -- do you think "waves" are important, or not? In other words, why bring that up and then start harping about frequency ranges...

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #100 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure - but as hearing deteriorates, one's sonic tastes tend to "improve" ... so it all balances out in the end
wink.gif

And what taste has to do with audio quality and listening perception, taste doesn't and can't balance a physical limitation in the perceptions...

Quote:

Just thought I'd point out the contradiction above -- do you think "waves" are important, or not? In other words, why bring that up and then start harping about frequency ranges...

That was a joke that long time ago a friend of mine told me, of course not knowing the joke, will deprive the reader of the meaning of "the waves" in that context....nevermind

BTW I do not see the contradiction here, audio is all waves, it is mechanical waves, but OTOH you can hear waves of 10KHz, 8KHz and not above...but that was indeed in reference to an intellectual joke...

OMG I have seen now like ten old threads resurrected in the last week, it seems that Headfi is going nostalgic this end of the year!!!!! one was from 2002!!!!

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #101 of 117
Quote:

And what taste has to do with audio quality and listening perception, taste doesn't and can't balance a physical limitation in the perceptions...

We get more familiar with our liking with age, at least I think that is what he meant. It can be best noted by how we choose women as we get older.

Dec 31, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #102 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We get more familiar with our liking with age, at least I think that is what he meant. It can be best noted by how we choose women as we get older.

Yep, I agree, but I feel that taste has more to do with a personal preference than with an actual objective opinion on a given audio equipment...

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #104 of 117
I testify on behalf of my brain - it really "burns in" to the sound. I use to think the mid range is seriously recessed, but it was rather its presentation that gave me the illusion of it being recessed. After my brain "burned into" the accented violins, I started hearing more detail in the viola harmony right behind the violins, rather than it being ignored. Another necessity, in my opinion, is to find the sweet spot in the volume. I need to have it not sound 'nasaly' without going too high up the dial.

Now I just need to get myself a balanced rig so the instruments can have a little breathing room.

Unless you have a nice and expensive headphone amp, I think the ED9 is much more compatible with more equipment... and if you don't hate the Ultrasone sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back