Ultrasone Edition 9's - really that good?
Nov 2, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #76 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the Editions very close to the HE90 in resolution, and soundstage, yes, I feel it that good, and I do not feel the same way about the Stax I have heard, none of them touches the Orpheus IMO...
Also I do not feel that the Omegas have a more natural soundstage than the Editions neither, but again that is a very personal apreciation as well...

Have you checked the batteries in your hearing aid recently?
cool.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #77 of 117
Quote:

Yeah right!!! Probably I'm deaf...
rolleyes.gif

Wrong impressions??? So the other guy who compared it to the Edition 7 in that review that I linked is also wrong right? And some others here that also believe so are also wrong...

For the electrostatic lovers, please stop dreaming that the electrostatic resolution can not be achieved by dynamic cans, this is a very old myth, if you like, you can keep on dreaming about the HE90/Stax being the last word in headphones, and one of this days you will fall from the bed, serioulsy, and more sooner than later...

Heyhey,

You might want to actually own and spend a lot of time with all those gears before you claim something like "Edition 9 is similar to HE90." I've owned just about all of the higher end cans, and I certainly did not get that impression when I got to compare them. You can ask some of the more established guys here who've had much experience with the gears you mention - I doubt that many will agree to your opinion. I'm not exactly an electrostatic lover either, so don't try to frame me as an electrostat fanboy.

I'm actually happy about the way edition 9 sounds, but the way you portray it forces me to respond. Stop it.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #78 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you checked the batteries in your hearing aid recently?
cool.gif

Oh ***** which date is today, you remind me of something.....
280smile.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #79 of 117
Quote:

Wrong impressions??? So the other guy who compared it to the Edition 7 in that review that I linked is also wrong right? And some others here that also believe so are also wrong...

He used 007t. Stax lovers all agree that 007t is not worthy of Omega 2. Have you heard Omega 2 out of KGSS or Blue Hawaii?

Resolution is a whole different argument together though, one of the hardest things to compare when headphones get closer. Would be interesting to put back to back Omega 2 + Blue Hawaii vs Edition 9 + RPX-100 vs R10 + Supra XLR (did I get the appropriate amp choices right here?).

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #80 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heyhey,

You might want to actually own and spend a lot of time with all those gears before you claim something like "Edition 9 is similar to HE90." I've owned just about all of the higher end cans, and I certainly did not get that impression when I got to compare them. You can ask some of the more established guys here who've had much experience with the gears you mention - I doubt that many will agree to your opinion. I'm not exactly an electrostatic lover either, so don't try to frame me as an electrostat fanboy.

I'm actually happy about the way edition 9 sounds, but the way you portray it forces me to respond. Stop it.

The HE90 is a top notch heapdhone in my list, I love it the few times I have heard it, maybe I need to spend more time as you say, but I felt that way, while I heard both, both do things good and not that good, maybe they are closer than others, that was what I meant to say, certainly the Stax is not even close sorry, and I do beleive that, and I prefer the Edition in other aspects, and in some the HE90, but honestly I could not even dream with it costwise, so why even bother is arguing about the merits...

Now let me tell you one thing, I stopped long time ago, trusting some of these old members and well established guys here, a few failed recomendations from them, and some money wasted following their recos was enough for me, IMO they seem to listen waves instead of music, yeak!!!!! Also wanna know the other reason? Because there is fact that nobody can deny, mother nature, or life, or time, or God willingness, the fact is that mainly all of them, are older than me, by at least 10 years, and as a result, chances are that their hearing is a little worst than mine, and far worst than many of the younger guys here. It is a well known fact in medical circles, that the audiophiles seem to ignore, that hearing tends to deteriorate with the age, and I hope that you are also aware fo that...So it is not a matter of owning and acumulating gear, and expensive heapdhones, and equipment, to be shown on the meetings, or as a pissing match, or an obsession, it is a matter of actually being able to hear them, enjoy them, and being able to hear these differences they claim...sometimes I really wonder if that is true, or if I'm just dreaming while I hear a 60+ old guy talking about differences in powercords an cables...gimme a break!!!! probably you can not even hear 10KHz, and on the rest of the spectrum not even the half of the info recorded, What are you talking about????

Just as a side note I have only one heapdhone, and two amps, one in the box in a closet, I do not need more than one, if i like what it does why bothering purchasing 10 more, just to hang them there and never listen them as I preffer this one, I do not get it sorry!!! As soon as I found one heapdhone that I liked better than my CD3Ks, both were sold, why keeping them? They will be wasted here...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #81 of 117
Correct me if I'm wrong, you've heard the HE90's once Sovkiller?

I quite liked them when I heard them at the first national, but I don't really know enough about them to compare them to anything. I did prefer them to the Omega 2's, both out of the ES-1, but I try to qualify that impression as it doesn't carry too much weight.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #82 of 117
Quote:

The HE90 is a top notch heapdhone in my list, I love it the few times I have heard it, maybe I need to spend more time as you say, but I felt that way, while I heard both, both do things good and not that good, maybe they are closer than others, that was what I meant to say, certainly the Stax is not even close sorry, and I do beleive that, and I prefer the Edition in other aspects, and in some the HE90, but honestly I could not even dream with it costwise, so why even bother is arguing about the merits...

Now let me tell you one thing, I stopped long time ago, trusting some of these old members and well established guys here, a few failed recomendations from them, and some money wasted following their recos was enough for me, IMO they seem to listen waves instead of music, yeak!!!!! Also wanna know the other reason? Because there is fact that nobody can deny, mother nature, or life, or time, or God willingness, the fact is that mainly all of them, are older than me, by at least 10 years, and as a result, chances are that their hearing is a little worst than mine, and far worst than many of the younger guys here. It is a well known fact in medical circles, that the audiophiles seem to ignore, that hearing tends to deteriorate with the age, and I hope that you are also aware fo that...So it is not a matter of owning and acumulating gear, and expensive heapdhones, and equipment, to be shown on the meetings, or as a pissing match, or an obsession, it is a matter of actually being able to hear them, enjoy them, and being able to hear these differences they claim...sometimes I really wonder if that is true, or if I'm just dreaming while I hear a 60+ old guy talking about differences in powercords an cables...gimme a break!!!! probably you can not even hear 10KHz, and on the rest of the spectrum not even the half of the info recorded, What are you talking about????

Just as a side note I have only one heapdhone, and two amps, one in the box in a closet, I do not need more than one, if i like what it does why bothering purchasing 10 more, just to hang them there and never listen them as I preffer this one, I do not get it sorry!!! As soon as I found one heapdhone that I liked better than my CD3Ks, both were sold, why keeping them? They will be wasted here...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Well, you've got people who are like me, icarium, neilvg, and various others who are probably younger than you are by a decade. So rest assured that my hearing ability is at least good as yours, as is probably the case with the other younger guys who own higher end cans.

I'm one of the guys who were definitely not impressed by the O2. Some people love it more than anything, but I did not like it on my Aristaeus. On the other hand, I loved the sr-omegas. If you haven't had a chance to try them, I suggest you do. They are very different from O2s.

As for HE90/Edition 9, I consider them very different. The E9 definitely has the bass impact that HE90 lacks. The HE90 definitely has the mids, which is the biggest weakness for the E9s for me. Detailwise, I did not think E9 were quite on the level of HE90. As for Soundstage, I can't disagree with you more - the HE90 has some of the biggest soundstage I've came across so far, and was the limiting factor of E9 for me.

ps. you don't want to bring in the cable issue here. Seriously.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #83 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong, you've heard the HE90's once Sovkiller?

I quite liked them when I heard them at the first national, but I don't really know enough about them to compare them to anything. I did prefer them to the Omega 2's, both out of the ES-1, but I try to qualify that impression as it doesn't carry too much weight.
wink.gif

Thanks for clearly stating that you haven't had extensive experience with some of the gears you are mentioneing. I like that.
600smile.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #84 of 117
I hardly think this thread is about a comparison of the best Stax set up and the UE9's. The OP asked if the UE9's are actually worth what they cost. I suggest you start a new thread if you want to go down the electrostat vs. dynamic comparisons.

Now, Sov, you seem to be wavering on the main theme of the Ultrasone thread which proved time and time again that a major burn-in effort is required to properly judge how great the UE9's. You now say headphone burn in and brain burn in are needed. This makes it really tough for anyone to really judge just by listening now doesn't it? Please clarify so those who listen can properly prepare/adjust for what to expect since all we can know is possibly whether the cans are burned in or not.

With all that said, what is left to trust other than the specs which are almost exactly the same as Ultrasone's proline 2500 ($400 model) and your pics that there are physical differences between these cans with the same specs. This goes straight to the OP's question....are they worth $1200 and in what exact scenario are we supposed to be convinced?
  1. david

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #85 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you've got people who are like me, icarium, neilvg, and various others who are probably younger than you are by a decade. So rest assured that my hearing ability is at least good as yours, as is probably the case with the other younger guys who own higher end cans.

I'm one of the guys who were definitely not impressed by the O2. Some people love it more than anything, but I did not like it on my Aristaeus. On the other hand, I loved the sr-omegas. If you haven't had a chance to try them, I suggest you do. They are very different from O2s.

As for HE90/Edition 9, I consider them very different. The E9 definitely has the bass impact that HE90 lacks. The HE90 definitely has the mids, which is the biggest weakness for the E9s for me. Detailwise, I did not think E9 were quite on the level of HE90. As for Soundstage, I can't disagree with you more - the HE90 has some of the biggest soundstage I've came across so far, and was the limiting factor of E9 for me.

ps. you don't want to bring in the cable issue here. Seriously.

Nah!!!! I was not talking about you personally sorry, and I would like to meet those younger guys, honestly...Any comming meeting ???
wink.gif

As for the soundstage to be bigger doesn't mean to be right, the CD3K has a huge soundstage and IMO it is too big, to wide, I use the crossfeed to make it feel more natural, of course that is not the case of the HE90, it is far more rational and envolving, but I prefer the Edition in that regard, preference I'm ot saying it is better or worst, just different, and I like it better...that's it, as per the SR, will keep my eyes open.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #86 of 117
I wouldn't mind buying them for $1200.
But if you had highend amp/source, I wouldnt necessarily recommend the same.
When I heard the HD650s on a really highend system, they fared well - very well. Opportunity cost makes me lean towards other options in highend setup.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #87 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, Sov, you seem to be wavering on the main theme of the Ultrasone thread which proved time and time again that a major burn-in effort is required to properly judge how great the UE9's. You now say headphone burn in and brain burn in are needed. This makes it really tough for anyone to really judge just by listening now doesn't it? Please clarify so those who listen can properly prepare/adjust for what to expect since all we can know is possibly whether the cans are burned in or not.

We can only hope you know if the cans are burned in or not. Minimum 400 hours. We've been through this too many times. On the other hand - brain burn-in gets fun. Give it at least 10 hours of direct listening without swapping to any other cans...and concentrate hard on the good qualities you hear.

Simple. We spoke about this...

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #88 of 117
Quote:

With all that said, what is left to trust other than the specs which are almost exactly the same as Ultrasone's proline 2500 ($400 model) and your pics that there are physical differences between these cans with the same specs. This goes straight to the OP's question....are they worth $1200 and in what exact scenario are we supposed to be convinced?
  1. david

Well I iwll not try to convince you nor anybody else, I will just state my experience with them, the physical burn in will smooth the highs, a little piercing at the beginning, make the mids sound more natural, and tighten the bass, all it will sound more natural after the burn in, it will get a more bodied and full sound, more organically integrated, and more musical. These mylar coated diaphragms are really stiff and need to work for some time to offer the optimal sound. But that could be said, and indeed happen, to mainly any headphone out there, but that IMO is not the main problem with the Ultrasones. IMO the main problem and what caused me reject them the first time I heard them, was the weird feeling on the presentation, an unusual soundstage, like listening the music of axis, something like that, I can not explain very well with words that feeling. But once you get used to it, you feel that presentation completely natural. In the case of the Editions, that is less prominent than in the case of the PROLines for example. In the PROLines that effect is very critical, (I began my journey with the 2500) but the Editions are more refined, and the S-logic seems to be a lot more natural in comparison to the younger brothers but even though very different from the rest of the headphones you will find around, that is what you need to go over, and that will take you some time, at least it took me good three weeks to get used to them (again to the PROLines) now the PROLines are not even similar in sound quality to what you will find while listening the Editions, honestly guys I can not explain how they got that difference, but they sounded completelly different, is like listening two completelly different headphones, the Editions are more detailed, more resolving, more intimate, they are expremelly musical to my ears, they make you focus on the music itself, and not on the details of the sound...

unfortunatelly you iwll not get that feeling in two hours of listening them....resuming, do not expect, to go to a meeting, listen them and like them, sorry but I think that this very unlikely to happen, you need time with them, and time of actual listening, not time hanging in the wall burning in with pink noise, OK?

Now are they worth 1200? To be 100% honest, even while I did not paid that much, I do believe that, of course it will be good to get them for $350.00, but that is not the price, unfortunatelly for us....one thing is sure, they gave me what I was looking for in the music, enjoyment, and to feel it, this is only my personal experience, please, OK!!!!...and IMO you will not get that sound in any other headphone for under than price, that I know off...

The other magical one to me is the R-10, but it is more expensive.....Now are the R-10 worth 4K, the Edition 7, 3K? that is very personal, if you have the cash, go for them, if not, go for a cheaper headphone...

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #89 of 117
Quote:

Well I iwll not try to convince you nor anybody else, I will just state my experience with them, the physical burn in will smooth the highs, a little piercing at the beginning, make the mids sound more natural, and tighten the bass, all it will sound more natural after the burn in, it will get a more bodied and full sound, more organically integrated, and more musical. These mylar coated diaphragms are really stiff and need to work for some time to offer the optimal sound. But that could be said, and indeed happen, to mainly any headphone out there, but that IMO is not the main problem with the Ultrasones. IMO the main problem and what caused me reject them the first time I heard them, was the weird feeling on the presentation, an unusual soundstage, like listening the music of axis, something like that, I can not explain very well with words that feeling. But once you get used to it, you feel that presentation completely natural. In the case of the Editions, that is less prominent than in the case of the PROLines for example. In the PROLines that effect is very critical, (I began my journey with the 2500) but the Editions are more refined, and the S-logic seems to be a lot more natural in comparison to the younger brothers but even though very different from the rest of the headphones you will find around, that is what you need to go over, and that will take you some time, at least it took me good three weeks to get used to them (again to the PROLines) now the PROLines are not even similar in sound quality to what you will find while listening the Editions, honestly guys I can not explain how they got that difference, but they sounded completelly different, is like listening two completelly different headphones, the Editions are more detailed, more resolving, more intimate, they are expremelly musical to my ears, they make you focus on the music itself, and not on the details of the sound...

unfortunatelly you iwll not get that feeling in two hours of listening them....resuming, do not expect, to go to a meeting, listen them and like them, sorry but I think that this very unlikely to happen, you need time with them, and time of actual listening, not time hanging in the wall burning in with pink noise, OK?

Now are they worth 1200? To be 100% honest, even while I did not paid that much, I do believe that, of course it will be good to get them for $350.00, but that is not the price, unfortunatelly for us....one thing is sure, they gave me what I was looking for in the music, enjoyment, and to feel it, this is only my personal experience, please, OK!!!!...and IMO you will not get that sound in any other headphone for under than price, that I know off...

The other magical one to me is the R-10, but it is more expensive.....Now are the R-10 worth 4K, the Edition 7, 3K? that is very personal, if you have the cash, go for them, if not, go for a cheaper headphone...

Okay, thank you. I think I understand betterer. Sigh. I guess the only way to REALLY get it is to borrow/trade/buy/steal/kidnap. I guess the market is good enough to sell them in the FS forum if I am willing to pay the difference as a rental fee. What about comfort...they are not known as being the most comfortable...does that take getting used to too?
  1. david

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #90 of 117
Quote:

Okay, thank you. I think I understand betterer. Sigh. I guess the only way to REALLY get it is to borrow/trade/buy/steal/kidnap. I guess the market is good enough to sell them in the FS forum if I am willing to pay the difference as a rental fee. What about comfort...they are not known as being the most comfortable...does that take getting used to too?
  1. david

David not sure if they are still doing that right now, but some members have managed to get loaners from them or from some of the dealers to try them home...and do not quote me on that please....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back