Ultrasone Edition 9's - really that good?
Nov 1, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #46 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to give that position to Stax SR-4070 personally. There are some things Stax got the Edition 9s don't.

That may be truth but if you checked closely, the original poster was asking about the Edition 9 that was why he got recos about it, in pro and in contra, not sure if bringing the Stax to the discussion will do any good now...but given that you brought them, I can tell you that not even the Omegas can give you the nice impactfull bass you get out of the Editions...
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #47 of 117
Sovkiller, do you run a Soviet era gulag where anyone that criticises the kremlin - I mean Ed9 - are sent to be imprisoned until they swear allegiance to the superiority of the Ed9 or their fingernails come off? Do you do that?

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #48 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sovkiller, do you run a Soviet era gulag where anyone that criticises the kremlin - I mean Ed9 - are sent to be imprisoned until they swear allegiance to the superiority of the Ed9 or their fingernails come off? Do you do that?

Nope, but the prisioners are obligated to listen if for hours after labor....LOL...
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nah seriously, sorry if you feel that way, but I'm just stating my personal impressions, and my personal opinions, given that I have some experience with them, and have heard some other heapdhones as well (and of course given that I love them) I used to be in the past the CD3KLF President, now I think that at least I will become the UE9LF threasurer at least, given that Dex took that position already....but I know that others will disagree with me, that was why I asked him in my first post here, to listen both opinions, and decided later on, after listening them, what is best suited for him, nothing wrong in preference...

Peace guys!!! Don't stone me!!!...
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #49 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, but the prisioners are obligated to listen if for hours after labor....LOL...
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

lol, I can just imagine the labourers squirming in discomfort with Ed9's on, trying to get them to fit properly. Then again, I shouldn't talk - it only took, oh, 20 hours of work to get the H2 comfortable.

As an aside, I've almost finished reading your sig. It's a thrilling read, full of tears and joy, adventure and love reunited. I'm looking forward to your next novel
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #50 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, I can just imagine the labourers quirming in discomfort with Ed9's on, trying to get them to fit properly. Then again, I shouldn't talk - it only took, oh, 20 hours of work to get the H2 comfortable.

As an aside, I've almost finished reading your sig. It's a thrilling read, full of tears and joy, adventure and love reunited. I'm looking forward to your next novel
tongue.gif

Well trust me that it took a good amount of time to make them fit properly as well. Even I have a mod, placing the ring of cable jacket under the pads, but finally I got it amost right. That is my only beef, and trust me that I have even sent emails to Florian, and all the executives in Germany, making some suggestions to see how they could fix that in future releases without affecting the sound, maybe a little bigger cups, with a little bigger pads will work for some, but one thing is sure, I do not want the sound to be compromised...it is a real shame on so good sounding heapdhones, but yep generally out of the box, they are not a dream to wear at all....

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #51 of 117
seeing as how I bought them and owned them for a few months I'm not sure I am qualified as a detractor or ultrasone. I just never could get over the sound signature and unnatural tone they imparted to the sound, the rs1 does have a midbass bump yet a guitar sounds like a guitar to me same goes with the k1k. I do also qualify that two other members that own them that I know very well and trust disagree with me and like them and they also like the k1k go figure.
I would ask that people should be able to post their opinions without being branded as a "hater" or "detractor" simply because they do not like the way something sounds
vcoheda aren't you the guy that the cable forum that implores people to actually listen to something before stating a negative on them?

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #52 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vcoheda aren't you the guy that the cable forum that implores people to actually listen to something before stating a negative on them?

absolutely.

again. i never commented on the sound (good or bad) of the Ed.9. my only observation - and i think a valid one - is that the specs of the headphone are virtually identical to the much, much cheaper proline 750; and i find this odd. two headphones made by the same company with very similar specs, but vastly different prices. that was and is the extent of my comment.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #53 of 117
Quote:

That may be truth but if you checked closely, the original poster was asking about the Edition 9 that was why he got recos about it, in pro and in contra, not sure if bringing the Stax to the discussion will do any good now...but given that you brought them, I can tell you that not even the Omegas can give you the nice impactfull bass you get out of the Editions...
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

I think bringing other headphones in to the discussion is the best way to answer the question, "Is the Edition 9 worth $1200?"

I don't know a better way to evaluate a headphone than comparing it to other headphones.

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #54 of 117
I'm a newbie here, but for what it's worth, I initially shared many of the detractors' impressions. I've played music semi-seriously, which I think tends to wreck your appreciation for many things "audiophile" since you know what the sound is supposed to be like, especially the harmonic structure. The Edition 9 initially sounded terrible to me in the reality/naturalness department. They had a "nasal" kind of sound, like listening to music through a long tube (which maybe is what was going on, some weird resonances). I had almost given up on them when I did some more post searching and found that markl and others claimed they needed a lot of burn-in.

So then I put them on a continuous diet of music with a lot of bass thumping and white noise content, and things improved a lot! The bass tightened up and most of the nasality went away (?), to the point where I could start to focus on the music instead and start to hear what sovkiller was talking about :) . I don't think they're fully broken in yet, but all I can say is that with the right recording, the overall presentation and richness of the sound can be amazing.

Are they the most natural sounding headphones out there? I don't know. I haven't heard enough good headphones, e.g., R10s, and occasionally the 701 has struck me as being more neutral and "clear" (and also thin and missing the bottom octave), which motivated my last post. (Sovkiller, thanks for the reply!) We'll see what the Edition 9's sound like after they come back from Apuresound, and I break them in a bit more.

A lot of the negative Edition 9 comments sound like what I would have said anytime I listened to them during the first 3-4 weeks of owning them. Is there any chance people's opinions (JP?) are based on headphones they thought were burned-in, but weren't?

Thanks,
Paolo

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #55 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by coppi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a newbie here, but for what it's worth, I initially shared many of the detractors' impressions. I've played music semi-seriously, which I think tends to wreck your appreciation for many things "audiophile" since you know what the sound is supposed to be like, especially the harmonic structure. The Edition 9 initially sounded terrible to me in the reality/naturalness department. They had a "nasal" kind of sound, like listening to music through a long tube (which maybe is what was going on, some weird resonances). I had almost given up on them when I did some more post searching and found that markl and others claimed they needed a lot of burn-in.

So then I put them on a continuous diet of music with a lot of bass thumping and white noise content, and things improved a lot! The bass tightened up and most of the nasality went away (?), to the point where I could start to focus on the music instead and start to hear what sovkiller was talking about :) . I don't think they're fully broken in yet, but all I can say is that with the right recording, the overall presentation and richness of the sound can be amazing.

Are they the most natural sounding headphones out there? I don't know. I haven't heard enough good headphones, e.g., R10s, and occasionally the 701 has struck me as being more neutral and "clear" (and also thin and missing the bottom octave), which motivated my last post. (Sovkiller, thanks for the reply!) We'll see what the Edition 9's sound like after they come back from Apuresound, and I break them in a bit more.

A lot of the negative Edition 9 comments sound like what I would have said anytime I listened to them during the first 3-4 weeks of owning them. Is there any chance people's opinions (JP?) are based on headphones they thought were burned-in, but weren't?

Thanks,
Paolo

Paolo, not that you will like them, or must like them, but as a side note, there is another componet in the burn in, and is the brain burn in, if you are not familiar with the S-Logic presentation you may need some time also to get used to it, so my suggestion is to use them and listen them as much time as you can. That has nothing to do with the way they sound, and if they sound real or not to the recording, but with the presentation it self...give them time, and listen mainly them, you will thank them for the time spent later on, and I'm talking of both cases, if you do not like them, it will be another experience for you, if you do...well that is self explanatory....

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #56 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by coppi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any chance people's opinions (JP?) are based on headphones they thought were burned-in, but weren't?

Thanks,
Paolo

I admit losing count on burn in after 500 hours I guess that was not enough
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #57 of 117
Quote:

Paolo, not that you will like them, or must like them, but as a side note, there is another componet in the burn in, and is the brain burn in, if you are not familiar with the S-Logic presentation you may need some time also to get used to it, so my suggestion is to use them and listen them as much time as you can. That has nothing to do with the way they sound, and if they sound real or not to the recording, but with the presentation it self...give them time, and listen mainly them, you will thank them for the time spent later on, and I'm talking of both cases, if you do not like them, it will be another experience for you, if you do...well that is self explanatory....

So...what's the difference between "brain burn in" and "brain washing"?
evil_smiley.gif

1. david

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #59 of 117
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Sov, you very well know I owned Edition 9s for full burn-in time and further, and heard them properly amped (although not with my own stuff). While yes - Edition 9 will have more impact than Omega 2/SR-4070, I would have to give the rest of the qualities to the Stax (at least in terms of sound). That being said - I was just throwing a die at the guy. I am aware he said that it is the best closed can he heard, but I wanted to mix in a different impression, pointing out that the statement DEFINITELY does not have to be true. SR-4070 to me wins in terms of soundstage, resolution, and micro dynamics... (and 4070 is actually more neutral I think).

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #60 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think bringing other headphones in to the discussion is the best way to answer the question, "Is the Edition 9 worth $1200?"

I don't know a better way to evaluate a headphone than comparing it to other headphones.

Well if the necessary headphone setup would require same amount of money as living in NYC, then it would immediately become not worth it because I could just go to Blue Note every night. =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back