Ultrasone Edition 9 Has Landed (Big Pics)
Mar 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 321
Lovely pics!! Congrats with your purchases. Would love to hear further impressions of the ed9, accompanied with more pics would be great also! So do not keep us waiting too long haha!

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 321
Mike,
That is a nice looking headphone. Keep them burn in for 200 hours and report back to us.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #18 of 321
Guys, I really really like what I've heard from the Ed 9 so far, but as I stated - don't put too much trust in my first impressions. I usually get my final opinions mostly hammered out after a couple weeks. This will give time for burn-in, too.

So far, the feeling I get sonic balance-wise, is that of a hybrid betweeen Qualia and the high-end woodies (R10, L3000). Midrange doesn't have the warmth of the woodies yet not quite as "sterile" as the Qualia (keep in mind I love the 010 so I don't mean that in a bad sense). Again, vocals are not thick and seductive as with the woodies but that may not be a bad thing to some. My guess, though, is that female vocal fanatics (that's you purk) will not be swayed to the Ultrasones. Bass extends very very deep, could be the deepest I've ever heard in a headphone, and that includes my beloved L3000. Has a nice crisp feeling throught the full range, super clean transients and microdynamics. If you're one who finds the L3000/HD650/DX1000 too dark and/or dull, the Edition 9 adds in just the right amount of sizzle/sparkle/ping while still remaining completely unfatiguing (something the Grados w/ bowls (and sometimes even flats) fail at IMO).

It's an overall performer; does well with genres from classical/opera to rock. The R10/L3000 are more specialized performers (relatively) while the Qualia is another broad-genre performer, IMO.

I must also add, I'm pretty thrilled there's at least ONE company that's still making a serious effort at offering a true flagship headphone. It's pretty reasonably priced, too. Thanks, Ultrasone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OT: Awesome pics! Taken with the kit lens?

Yep, kit lens is all I've got so far. One of the reasons I went with Nikon is that I'll be able to borrow some glass from my boss (he's a former professional product photographer). Also, there's lots of great manual focus lenses available that would be perfect for still shots - actually I've been running the kit lens in manual focus mode to get the precise focal plane I want.

Quote:

Eh, I wouldn't really let this fact bother me if I had bought a D40x. Actually, I'm wondering which sensor will do better with high ISO. I notice my new Canon XTi, which I "upgraded" to due to size/shape and LCD screen and not 10 megapixels, does have more noise than my old Rebel. Sensor-wise, I can't say which I prefer to be honest...

Yep, I read about the 40x release, but it hasn't bothered me much. I wanted the cheapest quality body available - my main reason for stepping up to DSLR was for the quality glass. 10 megapixels for what I use it for, is overkill. Hell, my old point-and-shoot had almost 6 MP, yet there's no contest in image quality - the glass and sensor quality make a huge difference.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mike,
That is a nice looking headphone. Keep them burn in for 200 hours and report back to us.

I'm too impatient - give more premature impressions... then follow up on how much better they are after breakin.
icon10.gif

I am interested in maybe a very good closed can. This might be the ticket.
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small]Salivating heavily - sounds like the can of my dreams so far... and I wouldn't look like a freak wearing them... [/size]

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 321
I will probably stop by at Mike's a listen to the Ultrasone myself after the burn in and report back. Nice looking phones though.

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #23 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, they landed a week ago but since neither NSL nor Fedex nor my apartment's management office saw fit to inform me of delivery, they've been sitting in the office until today
tongue.gif

First impressions - don't trust my first impressions!
biggrin.gif

They need a ton of cooking but they're quite listenable out of the box. Extremely listenable - it wouldn't be a bad thing to enjoy them through the burn-in process, IMO. By contrast the L3000 was close to unlistenable at first. Nice balance. Mids aren't as warm as the woody headphones. Highs have a nice ping, but overally fatigue factor is low. Very good bass, less in quantity than the L3000 but it may reach even deeper than the leatherhead! They do some things very well so far - especially microdynamics. Lots of promise in these cans! I'll write more later.

I got my first DSLR (Nikon D40) Tuesday. Awesome. I should've bought one way before now.

DSC_0058-2.JPG

DSC_0067_RT-1.jpg

Did I mention how glad I am I bought a DSLR?

You must have a nice income.. 6 of your headphones must have cost you nearly 12,000..

Do you think the E9's are worth the 1,500? I'd have no problem blowing my paycheck on a 1,000 headphone it its truly remarkable..

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #24 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have a nice income.. 6 of your headphones must have cost you nearly 12,000..

For all we know, maybe he rides a bicycle instead of spending $12000 on a used car?
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #25 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For all we know, maybe he rides a bicycle instead of spending $12000 on a used car?
evil_smiley.gif

No, he rides a $12000 bicycle... =)

But seriously I would love to audition the Ultrasone 9.

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #26 of 321
wow this excites me, you have to catalog the rest of your high-end headphones with good pics, its your obligation now!

congrats on the ED9, its good to know there is current production headphone thats top teir.

now do i keep the AD2k and buy the W5k, or ditch both and go with the Ultrasones? seriously do you think these would clearly top the W5000?

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #28 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow this excites me, you have to catalog the rest of your high-end headphones with good pics, its your obligation now!

I already done did the R10 here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229144

Guys, I drive a real car, though it is a lease
biggrin.gif

The job market for Java programmers isn't too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back