Ultrasone Edition 9 Has Landed (Big Pics)
Mar 10, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #46 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well certainly not in appearance and construction, that's for sure.

Of course not, the Grados were designed after a WWII nightmare... !!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

I look forward to more PS-1 vs. Ed. 9 feedback in the future. I don't even need to hear them to know that "completely two different leagues" is a clear overstatement. I believe analog'd has both now, or at least the Ed. 9's are on the way. Eager to hear his .02 on the subject.

Wait for his two cents of course, and you can do a search as well, there are tons of info about the Editions and hundreads of thread about the PS-1, but I was answering Mitch question, and IMO he was not questioning any aspect of the construction or design, but simply the sound (at least that was the impression he gave me while asking) BTW the Grados are not the last word in design and look neither (for many all the opposite) and IMO they are certainly among the most horrible looking heapdhones out there (of course a Grado fan that will tell you the opposite...
icon10.gif
)

And sorry to tell you that it is not an overstatement at all, you will hear them sooner or later, and I can tell you right now, that I have heard just a few heapdhones that could hold a candle in front of the Editions, just a few, and sorry to tell you that I do not feel that any of the Grado line are among them (and I have not heard the Editions in the same class amps that I have heard the rest. I'm still waiting to get my dream amp anytime soon next week)...
280smile.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #47 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amen brother, so am i...

but to ruminate a bit, i can tell you that i spent 10 years+ loving RS1's; liked the gs1k enormously but missed the trad grado slam, midrange and "onstage" vantage point so much that when i was offered an unused PS1 for $1500 I leapt at the chance. that $1500 is the best money on headphone equipment i ever spent.

with the amps, sources and cables i have, the PS1's are heavenly. I DO NOT CARE ONE TWIT HOW THEY screw'ING GRAPH, OR THAT THEY ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS THE R10, OR IF THEY DO NOT PRODUCE AN "ACCURATE" WHATEVER. (i also do not give a damn how they sound with mp3's. if your source is limited to a computer or an ipod we are not hearing the same things, not even remotely. and i don't give a damn if you know it or not.)

the Grado PS1 is the best Grado I have owned, and is ultimatley much more satisfying to me than my hardwired k1000's (which certainly are incredible) or gs1000's (which are wonderfully refined and i still think of as the grado for classical, and acoustic folk and jazz).

the ultrasone pl 750's are fantastic for a closed can, especially for the money they cost. i am expecting the ed9's to be more refined (as the gs1k is to the rs1) but with a sound signature very similar to the pl 750 (whereas the gs1k is very different from the rs1/ps1 sig). i will be shocked if they are "better" than ps1's, and surprised if they are as good for most rock.

and i'd love to have to eat those words!

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #48 of 321
Quote:

and i'd love to have to eat those words!

Don't worry, you will.....
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

the Ultrasone pl 750's are fantastic for a closed can, especially for the money they cost. i am expecting the ed9's to be more refined (as the gs1k is to the rs1) but with a sound signature very similar to the pl 750 (whereas the gs1k is very different from the rs1/ps1 sig). i will be shocked if they are "better" than ps1's, and surprised if they are as good for most rock.

Here is why many members that have not heard them are completely wrong, to me, the UE9 is nothing similar in performance to the PROLines at all, same drivers that is all they share. More refined, better extension, more details, more dynamics, better bass, more intimate sound, more natural presentation and sound, more sensitive, etc...I could keep on saying more and more, but you need to hear them to believe it, I did not until I did heard them myself, and order the second pair imediately...
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #49 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you say that when you never heard the Edition 9's? These are 1,500 headphones.

Quite easily.

The PS-1's were $1400 when first released and actually sold for that amount of money. Now they sell used for $1800-2000 and for a very good reason. The Ed. 9's have an MSRP of $1500 but in reality only sell for $1100. I'm not one to assume that more money always equals more quality or better this and that, however it seems as though you may subscribe to that train of thought and figured I would make this point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see Sov hyping these just for the hell of it..

Read more of his posts from 04 and 05 concerning the CD3000's for justification of my doubt.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #50 of 321
Quote:

Read more of his posts from 04 and 05 concerning the CD3000's for justification of my doubt.

FYI I still have a pair around, and enjoy them immensily, and what I said about the CD3K, in the 05, 06, 07 and still today is the same, and all what I said, I stand behind it all the time....
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #51 of 321
excuse me, but am i reading correctly that sovtek holds sony cd3000's over Grado rs1's, gs1k's and even PS1's? i mean, i love my cd3k's but they cannot touch those 3 grados unless ya just plain don't like the sound signature of grado's, in which case you should excuse yerself from making direct comparisons. that's like someone who does not like pistachio ice cream ranting on about how much better a ceratin brand of chocolate ice cream is than a certain brand of pistachio. like, how the hell would they know?
eek.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #53 of 321
Quote:

The PS-1's were $1400 when first released and actually sold for that amount of money. Now they sell used for $1800-2000 and for a very good reason. The Ed. 9's have an MSRP of $1500 but in reality only sell for $1100. I'm not one to assume that more money always equals more quality or better this and that, however it seems as though you may subscribe to that train of thought and figured I would make this point.

Which is the street price for the HD650? And many members consider them, a very fine and the best can out there, some others consider the L3000, Qualias, DT770, DT880, others the R-10, others the K-1000, all of them has different prices, the PS-1 cost that much because of availability issues, not because of the real value.....if you ask me for the real value to me of the PS-1 I would not be able to post it in public without being stoned alive....
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #54 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are some schwwwweeet cans! Very nice pics.

oh sure, bring it back to the topic at hand. i forgot what thread we were in for a few minutes, sorry bout that!

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #55 of 321
Quote:

excuse me, but am i reading correctly that sovtek holds sony cd3000's over Grado rs1's, gs1k's and even PS1's? i mean, i love my cd3k's but they cannot touch those 3 grados unless ya just plain don't like the sound signature of grado's, in which case you should excuse yerself from making direct comparisons. that's like someone who does not like pistachio ice cream ranting on about how much better a ceratin brand of chocolate ice cream is than a certain brand of pistachio. like, how the hell would they know?
eek.gif

Yes you read correctly...I preffer the CD3K over any heapdhone in earth, except R-10, and now the Edition 9...

IMO, and only IMO, the bass on the PS-1 is out of balance, completelly overblown over the rest of the spectrum, I feel the rest oh the high end Grado line more normal regarding that, that is why I did not like it..BTW my problem with Grado is not the sound, is the comfort mainly, and the retro look, I can stand their coloured sound before they begin to irritate my ears with these foam pads...

Quote:

oh sure, bring it back to the topic at hand. i forgot what thread we were in for a few minutes, sorry bout that!

At least we agree on this, let's keep this thread on topic, right?

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #56 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait for his two cents of course, and you can do a search as well, there are tons of info about the Editions and hundreads of thread about the PS-1, but I was answering Mitch question, and IMO he was not questioning any aspect of the construction or design, but simply the sound (at least that was the impression he gave me while asking) BTW the Grados are not the last word in design and look neither (for many all the opposite) and IMO they are certainly among the most horrible looking heapdhones out there (of course a Grado fan that will tell you the opposite...
icon10.gif
)

And sorry to tell you that it is not an overstatement at all, you will hear them sooner or later, and I can tell you right now, that I have heard just a few heapdhones that could hold a candle in front of the Editions, just a few, and sorry to tell you that I do not feel that any of the Grado line are among them (and I have not heard the Editions in the same class amps that I have heard the rest. I'm still waiting to get my dream amp anytime soon next week)...
280smile.gif

Oh I will, you can be sure of that.

This post, and the first one I quoted, are good examples of why I take your impressions with a boulder of salt. "Tons of info about the Editions". Where exactly? Are there even head-fiers in the double digits that own this headphone yet? You, analog'd, mulveling, and one other whose name escapes me, are the only four that I've even read about. Hardly a ton of information IMHO. Using statements such as this and "two completely different leagues" is like the equivilent of someone saying this amp/headphone is "night and day" above the other. What does that tell us exactly?

Overstatement or not everyone's ears obviously hear things uniquely. The fact that you so much enjoy the CD3000's, which make my ears bleed after only ten seconds of listening to them, says quite a bit about what each of likes in terms of sound signature.

I will definitely sample them in the near future and report my findings, but as of right now I am in complete agreement with what analog'd just said regarding Grado's in general, specifically the PS1's. I'd be floored to find out that the Ed. 9's, especially being a closed headphone, are in a "completely different league" from the PS1's. Considering they have the same drivers as the lower model Ultrasone's that is just so extremely hard to believe, with regards to the impressions I've already read concerning the 650, 750, 2500, etc.(not that favorable unless you're a part of the Ultrasone crew
wink.gif
)

I truly hope to eat my words as well, but I'm not going to work up too big of an appetite.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #57 of 321
Quote:

eek.gif

Precisely the epitome of why his impressions, concerning Grado's at least, should be taken very lightly.

CD3000's have a fantastic soundstage and energy going on, but their high's scare me.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #58 of 321
Quote:

amen brother, so am i...

but to ruminate a bit, i can tell you that i spent 10 years+ loving RS1's; liked the gs1k enormously but missed the trad grado slam, midrange and "onstage" vantage point so much that when i was offered an unused PS1 for $1500 I leapt at the chance. that $1500 is the best money on headphone equipment i ever spent.

with the amps, sources and cables i have, the PS1's are heavenly. I DO NOT CARE ONE TWIT HOW THEY screw'ING GRAPH, OR THAT THEY ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS THE R10, OR IF THEY DO NOT PRODUCE AN "ACCURATE" WHATEVER. (i also do not give a damn how they sound with mp3's. if your source is limited to a computer or an ipod we are not hearing the same things, not even remotely. and i don't give a damn if you know it or not.)

the Grado PS1 is the best Grado I have owned, and is ultimatley much more satisfying to me than my hardwired k1000's (which certainly are incredible) or gs1000's (which are wonderfully refined and i still think of as the grado for classical, and acoustic folk and jazz).

the ultrasone pl 750's are fantastic for a closed can, especially for the money they cost. i am expecting the ed9's to be more refined (as the gs1k is to the rs1) but with a sound signature very similar to the pl 750 (whereas the gs1k is very different from the rs1/ps1 sig). i will be shocked if they are "better" than ps1's, and surprised if they are as good for most rock.

Thanks so much for the backhistory and impressions.

I started with DT770's(which I still have for computer related functions) and then tried the W100 and CD3000's before buying a new HF1. I was so taken back by what I heard from the HF1's, my first Grado headphone, that I went straight from them to the HP2's and then on to the PS1's. After skipping over both RS's and the GS's, I'm looking forward to the day that I get to try those three.

The PS's just continue to amaze me though and leave very little desire for anything else. At times I do regret selling the HP2's but I find that the PS's provide me with more low level detail, bass(obviously), energy and overall enjoyment of the music, not to mention that most amazing and insanely liquid midrange. I really do appreciate what the HP2's had to offer though, a complete lack of coloration and an occasional sterility that my ears enjoy, however the PS's have definitely had more overall headtime since arriving.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.........

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #59 of 321
Quote:

I will definitely sample them in the near future and report my findings, but as of right now I am in complete agreement with what analog'd just said regarding Grado's in general, specifically the PS1's. I'd be floored to find out that the Ed. 9's, especially being a closed headphone, are in a "completely different league" from the PS1's. Considering they have the same drivers as the lower model Ultrasone's that is just so extremely hard to believe, with regards to the impressions I've already read concerning the 650, 750, 2500, etc.(not that favorable unless you're a part of the Ultrasone crew
wink.gif
)

I truly hope to eat my words as well, but I'm not going to work up too big of an appetite.

You will be really surprised in knowing how many high end heapdhones share the same exact drivers...but I will leave it to you to find out, I did and I can tell you that quite a few brands does that. This practice is not new at all. OTOH what was indeed new at least to me, was the fact that not all brands are very proud to admit it (Senns was one of the first IIRC), and some of them even list the drivers with differet part numbers, different prices, being exactly the same drivers...

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #60 of 321
If you don't want to post what manufacturers do this, which is quite understandable, would you mind PM'ing me and letting me know your findings? If not, would you please point me in the direction for where I might obtain that information?

I know Grado is exempt from this, at least outside of the Prestige series, from reading Zanth's wonderful interview with John. I know I've also read that the HD600 and HD650 drivers are different, although I've seen reports implying that the drivers might be the same for some of the lower numbered HD models.

I must admit, you have definitely sparked my interest here. Time for some research I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back