Ultrasone Edition 8
Jan 23, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #1,411 of 2,099
Guys, I have the Le version also and loved it.  Can I ask what after market cables are you guys using if you did replace the stock cable? and how do you like it?   I have the ALO 8 wire chain mail cable and thinking if I should try something different.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,412 of 2,099

Quote:
But is NOT possible at all that some $1.5k Palladiums have that defects...

You seem to be making a correlation based on a misguided assumption.  You are assuming expensive items don't have significant quality control issues.  But they do - Especially when they are marketed for their luxury pedigrees instead of their technical prowess (in my experience.)  It seems particularly possible in this case - Ultrasone is using materials (and possibly coatings) that are not common in the manufacturing world (especially on the products they are using them on.)  

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,414 of 2,099

Quote:
Does anyone have a DIY on how to convert the 3.5mm SE plug to a balanced SR-71B Kobiconn connector? Also is it possible to have an adapter that converts back from balanced to SE? I tried searching through the forums but I couldn't find anything on DIY for this.

Not a DYI, because I'm not handy...I had Qusp recable my 8's with the exact configuration you seek.  Permanent cable has a lemo adapter at the end, into which I can plug either a 3.5mm or kobiconn termination.  See photo.  Qusp did a fabulous job and the cable is a significant improvement over stock.  Would highly recommend Qusp for this task.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #1,416 of 2,099

Quote:
gadair, What is it I'm looking at between your ipod and amp?  Is that a portable DAC which can bypass the internal DAC of the ipod?  I was under the impression that one didn't exist.

It's Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo. And it's been for a while that this thing existed.

If you interested there's a number of devices that can let you bypass the internal DAC section of iDevices:
  1. Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo
  2. Fostex HP-P1 (same as above but with the built-in amp section)
  3. VentureCraft Go-Dap (for iPhone 4/4S

Also there are devices like NuForce Icon iDo that are intended for home use.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #1,418 of 2,099
There are not many differences in audio quality. The main difference between them is that they fall into different categories of devices such as: DACs with or without amp section, and the portable one just for the iPhone 4/4S.

If you need just a DAC and plan to use it with your own amp then look for Algorhythm Solo.

If you need an all-in-one device which you plan to use with different iDevices - then Fostex HP-P1 might suite you better. As far as reviews go the DAC section is similar in quality to the Algrythm Solo and the amp section of the HP-P1 is pretty decent.

If you have an iPhone 4/4S then its better to try Go-Dap, cause it has smaller size and the sound quality is similar to HP-P1 (with the top options available for Go-Dap of course).

On overall, the main opinion is that the DACs of these devises really improve the sound quality. However some people say that they hear no audible differences between these DACs and the stock iPod DAC.

You should look for reviews or try some of these yourself and decide whether you need it or not.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #1,419 of 2,099

Quote:
I'm also glad that you're using my photo of the ED8LE as your avatar!

You took the picture? heh.. didn't remember from whom I downloaded the pic.

Really beautiful picture.. and the one you are using now is superb too :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #1,421 of 2,099
Just chiming in to say that Brasso does in fact get those blemishes off the Palladiums.  You have to be careful about how you wipe it, though, if you want the brushed finish to look exactly like it used to.

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,422 of 2,099
Well that's interesting, but is it really a good idea though?  I guess if it changes the directions of the brushed look, that means it removes some of the surface?  

I wonder if the earcups are actually solid palladium/ ruthenium, or just palladium/ ruthenium plated.  Because isn't plating only typically about .2 microns thick or something?

For the price, you would hope it was solid.  There's a guy on eBay selling solid ruthenium pellets for $18 per gram so it wouldn't really be that expensive to make them solid considering the quantities ultrasone would be buying... 

On another note, I have sent the second pair back to Addicted to Audio and have paid the difference to upgrade to the limited editions.  They have been really good about the whole thing the whole way through.  Would highly recommend them.  Would not highly recommend buying palladium edition 8's though...

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #1,423 of 2,099

Quote:
Well that's interesting, but is it really a good idea though?  I guess if it changes the directions of the brushed look, that means it removes some of the surface?  

I wonder if the earcups are actually solid palladium/ ruthenium, or just palladium/ ruthenium plated.  Because isn't plating only typically about .2 microns thick or something?

For the price, you would hope it was solid.  There's a guy on eBay selling solid ruthenium pellets for $18 per gram so it wouldn't really be that expensive to make them solid considering the quantities ultrasone would be buying... 

On another note, I have sent the second pair back to Addicted to Audio and have paid the difference to upgrade to the limited editions.  They have been really good about the whole thing the whole way through.  Would highly recommend them.  Would not highly recommend buying palladium edition 8's though...

The..  plating is very thin yes..  as the ruthenium cups scratch very easily. Trust me, I've tried. A simple plastic ruler's edge puts a scratch on it, so its not solid, not at all

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,425 of 2,099
Better get yourself a portable DAP! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back