Ultrasone Edition 8
Mar 25, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,996 of 2,099
Hi there,

I'm considering to get ed8. But the biggest problem for me is the sibilance issue I found on many headphones: HD800, T1 etc. So finally I went for LCD3. 

Could anyone here please share their impressions on how ed8 perform on sibilance control?

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,997 of 2,099
  Hi there,

I'm considering to get ed8. But the biggest problem for me is the sibilance issue I found on many headphones: HD800, T1 etc. So finally I went for LCD3. 

Could anyone here please share their impressions on how ed8 perform on sibilance control?

Thanks!

i would worry more about if you will like the general signature, sibilance should not be a big problem for edition 8. It is far from sibilant, at least it was for me, but it has a different sound signature than what you would expect, and it is supposed to be on ear. these are more important than sibilance.

LCD3 is the least sibilant headphone that exists. Hifiman headphones are not sibilant in general. 

If you are very sensitive to sibilance, you might want to stay with LCD and hifiman headphones. Sennheiser hd650 is far from sibilant.

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,998 of 2,099
I currently use my UE8 with iPhone 6 + Fiio E12. But Im thinking of upgrading to AK120 + Hugo. Is it worth it? The money is no problem. Just wondering if its worth bothering. I appreciate all answers.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #1,999 of 2,099
Are there any aftermarket ear pads available for these? My ears are slightly larger than the standard ear pad size for these. Maybe a size bigger than the standard 'ethiopian sheep skin' pads. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2,000 of 2,099
I currently use my UE8 with iPhone 6 + Fiio E12. But Im thinking of upgrading to AK120 + Hugo. Is it worth it? The money is no problem. Just wondering if its worth bothering. I appreciate all answers.

You can use a fiio x5 + Hugo. It is cheaper, and you could like the sound of x5II as a transport better.

Also, upgrading from fiio e12 to E12A will make your life much better.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,001 of 2,099
  Are there any aftermarket ear pads available for these? My ears are slightly larger than the standard ear pad size for these. Maybe a size bigger than the standard 'ethiopian sheep skin' pads. 

Sadly, the pads are too small for most of us and there are no official pads, but you can always try to contact some of the people who make aftermarket pads in general and ask them to make one for your pair. I am pretty sure there are some people who are willing to help.

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #2,002 of 2,099
There are some people who the pads don't work for but don't think I'd say most, more like a few. When I have been at large meets fit has never come up but out of the whole Headfi community it has been brought up before.

For me they are perfect but lately I am getting crackle from the connection of the plug, and it is not a short, more like a grounding issue. I've had it happen on connecting wires before too. When I unplug them and ground the plug with my fingers, it's fine for a while. Also seems worse on some days like dry days. I almost had the plug redone but it doesn't seem to need it. I am ending rarely using them anymore, but I did get years of use already I suppose........humph.

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #2,003 of 2,099
There are some people who the pads don't work for but don't think I'd say most, more like a few. When I have been at large meets fit has never come up but out of the whole Headfi community it has been brought up before.

For me they are perfect but lately I am getting crackle from the connection of the plug, and it is not a short, more like a grounding issue. I've had it happen on connecting wires before too. When I unplug them and ground the plug with my fingers, it's fine for a while. Also seems worse on some days like dry days. I almost had the plug redone but it doesn't seem to need it. I am ending rarely using them anymore, but I did get years of use already I suppose........humph.

Then I think I have very big ears. 

But for me, most headphones are too small, so maybe it is not a universal problem
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #2,005 of 2,099
I'm sure there someone out here who has managed to DIY something that makes these ear-pads comfortably fit slightly longer ears. I would SO go ahead and sell my Ruthenium's and get Romeo's instead for extra portability!

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #2,006 of 2,099
Since I made the choice to stay with the ed8 over all others (due to its superior details & sLogic),
I have decided to open and replace my headband.
but before I do that I want to tailor the sound for me as my unit has more V-shaped sound than the other ed8 I herd.
my unit is old.

looking at the insides and tinkering and researching showed me that there is nothing at all you can do with the inside (aside from maybe a bit of dynamat I haven't tried) to benifit the sound ,
as that Ultrasone s-logic majic will be diminished with any tampering and mids will get congested.

So to lessen the bass (for me) I just used a circular adhesive felt to cover nearest bass port hole from driver. .

The other stuff(black foam) I put is just me tinkering, so disregard that other stuff :wink:

Warning:
If you peel off the pads they will not bond well again. .

Hey guys, if you notice I was messin around with moddin the ED8.
I didnt want to say at the time, but I was actually trying to get an ED5 frontal presentation.

I have achieved that, but whether it actually is similar to an ED5 Limited, I DONT Know...

Anyways, since I am satisfied with my mod, which also as a result deflects any direct treble and so is more listenable whithout losing any clarity.

It involves using only a small piece of inner pad material from an Ultrazone Zino pad, and double sided tape.
Thats it.
Ao here is a pic of my headphone to upgrade it.
In pic you will see the simple mod:

Also, the replacement pads are stiffer inside,
and so tighter on the leather, which is as soft/supple, but seems also seems very smooth and gripy.
The only problem I have is the inside padding stiffness.

Update:
Ok the mod is not visible so I post close up:
Screenshot_20210806-153355__01__01__01__01.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #2,007 of 2,099
Maxx,can I ask where you got the replacement pads and for how much? Thanks.

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #2,008 of 2,099
Maxx,can I ask where you got the replacement pads and for how much? Thanks.

Replacement pads are hard to find outside of ordering from either ultrasone or a dealer.

Yet I would never goto them for repairs, as you can get your unit hardwired by a good cable company and they may even be able to replace the pads.

Pads are stuck on with double sided adhesive.
Yet, the only one that stuck well for me was the one used as body tape for women(I posted few pages back).

Personally, I do not really like the new pads being so stiff inside.
I may try to soften them a bit by compressing them.

I really really like the original pads but the adhesive is gone from opening them too many times.

I have not seen any replacements that are not OEM.
I was lucky to get mine on ebay when they are sometimes available.

These are the headphones that slaughtered the Oppo PM1 I owned once.

I currently using the Audio Technica esw9LTD in meantime,
and these two are my top current portables headphones...

At this level, many newcomers will come and go, but these remain.
The only TWO other I am interested as a top portable are:
ED5 Limited (wood)
Oppo PMx2 (mod)

Yet is still is unnesessary to look further than this,
As few headphones reach this level (sig pro, esw11 too).

Especially with my simple "ed5-like" mod which acually give balance to those that think the treble a bit too much, by blocking some direct trebles, without altering frequency response.

Yet any other materials may change the sound.
My choice of the zino pad material was due to its (mostly) sonically transparent material.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back