Ultrasone Edition 8
May 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #526 of 2,099
im more interested in thoughts vs the other expensive sets, like those you have listed in your profile :] 

if you could give a brief description of as many as you can, please do so 

I find it unfair to compare sound stage between open and closed headphones.

May 3, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #527 of 2,099
mechanical parts cant be unfair or bias, for they have no thought process heh so i dont care at all if the open backs are any better at any given area, i know they are, but when it comes to price ranges this high, its important to know their differences

i want to know what your thoughts on them are, if the others are significantly better, tell me why and in what way :]

May 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #528 of 2,099
My only gripe after half a day with the phones is that I'm worried that my spectacles will cause a tear in the leather cups eventually... its causing indents on both earcups where they press against my spectacles... The leather is so soft it worries me :frowning2:

May 4, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #529 of 2,099
I wear glasses as well, but haven't had any problems so far with leather indent or tear with the Ed 8 LE. Mine are plastic frames though, rather thin and flexible, which may help ameliorate the issue a bit

Quote:
My only gripe after half a day with the phones is that I'm worried that my spectacles will cause a tear in the leather cups eventually... its causing indents on both earcups where they press against my spectacles... The leather is so soft it worries me :frowning2:

May 4, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #530 of 2,099
I use glasses as well. Never see the idea about wearing them inside the ear pads. Particularly on such small headphones like the ED 8. I have the scalms on top so there is nothing to break the seal or make things uncomfortable.

May 4, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #531 of 2,099
Good idea... though this is probably gonna spoil my eyesight with the lens at an angle and increasing the power significantly lol~ look pervy too :D

Quote:
I use glasses as well. Never see the idea about wearing them inside the ear pads. Particularly on such small headphones like the ED 8. I have the scalms on top so there is nothing to break the seal or make things uncomfortable.

May 5, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #532 of 2,099
Angle really doesn´t make any difference to speak off unless you use bifocal glasses or what it´s called. picture in picture glasses. If you have vanity you are not going to wear the ED 8 in public anyway rather more low profile headphones a tenth the size :).

May 5, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #533 of 2,099
The focal power seems higher when I tilt my glasses... anyway, I do wear my headphones outside when I'm commuting haha~

Quote:
Angle really doesn´t make any difference to speak off unless you use bifocal glasses or what it´s called. picture in picture glasses. If you have vanity you are not going to wear the ED 8 in public anyway rather more low profile headphones a tenth the size :).

May 8, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #534 of 2,099

Quote:
Admittedly I did not listen to many songs with the ipod- I'll have verify with some demanding tracks to not give anyone the wrong impression.  That'll have to wait until next week tho, am sadly stranded on a Caribbean beach (without the Ed 8) for the next few days.  
biggrin.gif

I just listened to two albums in their entirety (Modest Mouse's The Moon & Antarctica and Broken Social Scene's You Forgot it in the People) on an ipod touch 3g, nano 1g and two full sized amps (Lavry DA11 & Mad Ear+ HD) and gotta say the Ed8 sounded pretty good out the ipods.  They sounded a bit fuller out the full-sized amps, but held up well with the ipods- I didn't notice any clipping, major distortion & overall they were comparable out an ipod to most of my other headphones (RS-1, D7000, HD600) out a full-sized amp.  Perhaps these albums don't test the limits of the headphones- if anyone wants me to try any particular tracks I'd be happy to oblige.

May 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #538 of 2,099
Detail with bass and actually a bit tubey sounding, the opposite of sterile for sure.  Every time i compare it to amps that I think may be more detailed due to the warm presentation I have found that it is actually the one that is both detailed and warm.  Best to try as many amps as you can though and then buy.  The Ed8s are fairly easy to drive from what i have found so the key is getting the sound you are looking for out of them.

May 9, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #539 of 2,099

Quote:
Detail with bass and actually a bit tubey sounding, the opposite of sterile for sure.  Every time i compare it to amps that I think may be more detailed due to the warm presentation I have found that it is actually the one that is both detailed and warm.  Best to try as many amps as you can though and then buy.  The Ed8s are fairly easy to drive from what i have found so the key is getting the sound you are looking for out of them.

Oh, that sounds great.
And I can use it via USB if I want too? Or is that bad?

May 9, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #540 of 2,099
USB is not bad in istself. It's a lot more system dependant than, for example, coaxial. From experience, coaxial always sounds good/better. Not so with USB.
Re the v200 please note this: USB 1.1 Input (48 kHz / 16 Bit)

edit: sorry for the above, upon checking the product info I realized you can have up to 24 bit / 96 kHz as an optional upgrade also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back