Ultrasone Edition 8 Palladium
Nov 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Gu Sensei

500+ Head-Fier
Ultrasone is putting out a redressed Edition 8. It appears to be cosmetic changes only.

Link in Japanese.

Edition8 Palladium
4631e307.jpg

As compared to..

Edition 8 Ruthenium

ULTRASON%20edition8-thumb.jpg

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 33
I can see why they would do this since the original finish was glossy, one that was off-putting for some in the sense that it was too 'blingy'.
smily_headphones1.gif
The palladium is interesting, but I was quite surprised with the finish of the initial release. Though it looked all shiny and perhaps over the top, in my hands it was a lot more conservative. I really like their appearance. The palladium looks great too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 33
I have owned a pair and really liked the original finish but my guess is as follows as to why it was discontinued:

1: The polished finish was very expensive to produce.

2. It would scuff or mar if you looked at it wrong making it impractical.

I don't think bling had too much to do with it but I could be wrong.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it named after the most expensive element commerically available?

Because they're some of the most expensive headphones commercially available.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned a pair and really liked the original finish but my guess is as follows as to why it was discontinued:

1: The polished finish was very expensive to produce.

2. It would scuff or mar if you looked at it wrong making it impractical.

I don't think bling had too much to do with it but I could be wrong.

The original Ruthenium version hasn't been discontinued. The Edition 8 Palladium is a new version of the Edition 8.

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 33
You know what? I give credit to Ultrasone. It still irks me that the HD800 is made out out of cheap silver spray-painted plastic, so for Ultrasone and Beyerdynamic (T1) to make truly high-end headphones with uncompromising materials is to be celebrated.
The Edition 8 in Ruthenium or Palladium gives buyers a "choice". Isn't that nice in the age of cheap, mechanical reproduction?

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 33
There's no compromise in the build of ED8. But maybe they should improve on it's cable for such a expensive can. Or even even better, a home version with thicker and better cable since they already have a choice of two finishing.

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrapaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original Ruthenium version hasn't been discontinued. The Edition 8 Palladium is a new version of the Edition 8.

any other differencies..sound perhaps..? or is it just aesthetics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back