Ultrasone Edition 10 or Audez'e LCD3
Apr 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #80 of 95

Quote:
Just the Edition 10's apparently. Awful headphones.

D2000
D5000
D5000 MarkL
D7000
K-701
K-601
K-501
K-1000
W1000
W1000X
W5000
L3000
DT770
DT880
DT48
T1
HD600
HD650
HD800
DX1000
SR125
SR225
SR325
RS1
GS1000
PS1
CD300
Stax 007 MK I
Stax 007 MK II
Stax 303
Ultrasone Edition 9
Ergo 2
Do you need any more?

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #81 of 95
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
D2000
D5000
D5000 MarkL
D7000
K-701
K-601
K-501
K-1000
W1000
W1000X
W5000
L3000
DT770
DT880
DT48
T1
HD600
HD650
HD800
DX1000
SR125
SR225
SR325
RS1
GS1000
PS1
CD300
Stax 007 MK I
Stax 007 MK II
Stax 303
Ultrasone Edition 9
Ergo 2
Do you need any more?

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #82 of 95

Quote:
I decided to take the plunge on the Edition 10 a few months back, in spite of a negative predisposition after reading through Head-Fi threads on the subject. Thus my absolute surprise that some objectionable opinions felt off the mark by a wide margin. Instead, the Ed 10 offered a startlingly crystalline and electrostatic-like presentation, but with the punch of dynamics phones. It also kept the precision of the closed-back models in the Ultrasone Edition line, but with the wider and deeper soundstage of open-back designs. And we're really talking about wide-open spaces here, an almost surround-like presentation in a very un-headphone manner. As an aside, the Ed 10 is also one of the most comfortable and lightest - for its size - of all the headphones I've tried.

These positive impressions got me wondering whether the basic issue might be that because of the Ed 10's stratospheric and admittedly excessive list price, Ultrasone voiced it specifically for certain listeners of high-resolution recordings. This assumption could also explain critical views expressed by some who favor electronic music, which is by nature highly processed, equalized, compressed, and as such, less suited as a source of evaluation in this case. In contrast, many headphones have been tailored to compensate for heavy equalization and compression. So, someone who listens to electronic music with emphasized mid to high frequencies might prefer a Denon AH-D7000 instead. OTOH, the Denon's bass tends to sound boomy and undefined with orchestral material containing a lot of distantly miked percussion and double-bass.

Regardless, the Ed 10 and classical SACDs work well together, and compromises by Ultrasone over its measurements were likely made with this kind of music in mind. For instance, two of my favorite SACDs are an Exton recording of Stravinsky's Petrushka and Pulcinella with the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic conducted by Jaap van Zweden, and a Linn recording of Bach's Easter and Ascension Oratorios with the Retrospect Ensemble. Suffice to say that the texture of the orchestral landscape as reproduced by the Ed 10 is viscerally realistic - I can literally sense the texture of the strings across the vast soundstage. And the deep percussion on Petrushka sounds gloriously thunderous but perfectly controlled, as does the sparkling presentation of the overtones and transients of the piano.

With all this in mind, one reason why people feel so strongly about the Ed 10 may be that it exposes flaws on favorite recordings. Personally, I would not audition it with either low-resolution (44.1 kHz/16 Bit PCM) material or with multi-generation transfers of analog tapes. Instead, the Ed 10 is more likely to shine with state-of-the-art (DSD and High-Rez 24 Bit PCM) acoustic recordings. Then there are those who dislike it out of resentment with the cost, although I actually purchased it for substantially less than the advertised price, possibly because of the negative publicity on Head-Fi. So, as a happy Ed 10 owner, my sincere gratitude for saving me a bundle. Now, I'd appreciate if folks could just to the same for the SR-009/Blue Hawaii combo, and knock a few grands off the price as well...

This are my exact experience. The Ed10s detail retrieval is comparable to the HD800s and electrostatics. The only problem with these is that their treble is a little metallic, thin and excessive. So on tired days, where fatigue gets the best of us, the Ed10s can be unbearable. But listening to them for awhile and letting our brains adjust to their sound signature, the Ed10s are truely one of the better headphones around and does compete well versus the HD800 and the LCD2. The Beyer T1s is the trebly headphone that I find more offensive than the Ed10s. I do feel however, at their RRP, they're insanely overpriced considering they're competing with headphones about 1000-1500 dollars.

I'd wait on the used forums for a HE60 and a good electrostat amp however :D

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #83 of 95
Quote:

This are my exact experience. The Ed10s detail retrieval is comparable to the HD800s and electrostatics. The only problem with these is that their treble is a little metallic, thin and excessive. So on tired days, where fatigue gets the best of us, the Ed10s can be unbearable. But listening to them for awhile and letting our brains adjust to their sound signature, the Ed10s are truely one of the better headphones around and does compete well versus the HD800 and the LCD2. The Beyer T1s is the trebly headphone that I find more offensive than the Ed10s. I do feel however, at their RRP, they're insanely overpriced considering they're competing with headphones about 1000-1500 dollars.

I'd wait on the used forums for a HE60 and a good electrostat amp however :D

T1 more offensive than the ED10s? VERY hard to believe. The ED10s are much, much brighter than the T1. The T1, compared to the ED10, is like warm, fresh honey sipping through your ear canals massaging your hears from inside out.

The ED10 is one of the worst headphones I've heard in my life. I'd easily take the Beats Studios over them if I had too choose a headphone to live with. Even if the price was the same. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #87 of 95
I prefer Elvis Costello on the Ed10's - his humor is less bitter and cynical, which gives the cans a big boost

Quote:
Definitely not the best headphone for letting the clear, crisp sound of Huey Lewis and the News' Sports come into its own.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #88 of 95
Quote:
T1 more offensive than the ED10s? VERY hard to believe. The ED10s are much, much brighter than the T1. The T1, compared to the ED10, is like warm, fresh honey sipping through your ear canals massaging your hears from inside out.

The ED10 is one of the worst headphones I've heard in my life. I'd easily take the Beats Studios over them if I had too choose a headphone to live with. Even if the price was the same.

I suppose, if you had some program material that didn't reach above 4kHz, the ED10 might sound good. I remain a skeptic.

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #89 of 95
Quote:

I don't find it hard to believe. There is literally so much product variation in Beyerdynamic and Ultrasone's lineups that it's entirely possible. Along with Audez'e circa LCD-3's initial launch, I'd say no other trio of headphone manufacturers has such a huge margin of tolerance for variability in their products. I've owned three different Edition 8s, and they all sounded noticeably different. I've also owned two different T1s which sounded slightly less but still discernibly different. Others have confirmed this too.

Does that mean I'd recommend the Edition 10 over the T1? Nah. Actually I wouldn't recommend either. That being said, I'd rather listen to my Edition 10 (which seems to be one of the "better" units out there) than either T1 I owned.

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #90 of 95
Quote:

If you really think so, then by all means. But to me, they're leaps and bounds better than Beats Studios :)
They're just uniquely tuned to cater to old German men who are not as susceptible to high frequency ringing.

Quote:
I don't find it hard to believe. There is literally so much product variation in Beyerdynamic and Ultrasone's lineups that it's entirely possible. Along with Audez'e circa LCD-3's initial launch, I'd say no other trio of headphone manufacturers has such a huge margin of tolerance for variability in their products. I've owned three different Edition 8s, and they all sounded noticeably different. I've also owned two different T1s which sounded slightly less but still discernibly different. Others have confirmed this too.

Owned two different variations of the Edition 8. Can confirm that they sound rather different. I returned the first one partly due to the fact that they're atrocious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back