Ultrasone Edition 10 or Audez'e LCD3
Dec 19, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #46 of 95

Quote:
Quantx, Tyll is not kidding: the Porta Pro really is preferable to the ED10. I sincerely second his opinion.

^^ same here. You're doing yourself a huge disfavor buying (or even considering) the Ed 10.. It's that bad. It's three grand for a headphone that should be 40 bucks.
Quantx, nobody is flaming you. Ed 10 are really bad not good.^^

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #47 of 95
While I appreciate the Drescher mod, it's a bit obsolete, say by about 20 years. While the sound was shrill and had an undesired bump in the mid-frequency region, the visuals were still good, *at that time*

Quote:
The Edition 10 are tolerable with one simple but effective modification I like to call the "Drescher mod" (the newer generation calls it the Kunis mod) that you can do at home with little to no DIY experience.  Fran Drescher is pretty gorgeous,  but as soon as she opens her mouth as "The Nanny" I want to stuff my ear canals with cement.  A great solution is to press 'mute' on your remote as cement takes a long time to harden.  If you do choose to purchase an Edition 10, know that it can excel with any genre as long as you don't press play on your source.  Alternatively, if music must be playing for you to be 'listening to music,' you can not plug the Edition 10's in but keep the volume off.  Using this quick and easy method you will be sure to enjoy the beauty and artistry of your Edition 10 for many years to come.  Also, as far as test tracks are concerned, I have found John Cage's 4'33 to be most enjoyable with the Edition 10's. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #48 of 95
I listen to Cage's 4'33 to test out all my headphones.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #49 of 95

Quote:
 I have found John Cage's 4'33 to be most enjoyable with the Edition 10's. 

HAHA!  
atsmile.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #50 of 95

Quote:
My own system has been tailored by Cochet in Paris ... Cochet has got many awards from studios and works for Deutsche Grammophon ...

That's interesting.  Back in the 60s when I started out with music systems there were marked national differences between what was considered neutral sound.  German systems tended to be shriekingly bright by most standards.  The world has gotten smaller since then, and differences have flattened out a little, but still I find German stuff to tend toward treble-prominence.  Certainly a lot of DG recordings are very bright by comparison.  The Ed 10 fits right in with that kind of sound.

Your call, obviously, but I ended up just disgusted with the Ed 10.  Not good at all.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #51 of 95

Quote:
That's interesting.  Back in the 60s when I started out with music systems there were marked national differences between what was considered neutral sound.  German systems tended to be shriekingly bright by most standards.  The world has gotten smaller since then, and differences have flattened out a little, but still I find German stuff to tend toward treble-prominence.  Certainly a lot of DG recordings are very bright by comparison.  The Ed 10 fits right in with that kind of sound.

Your call, obviously, but I ended up just disgusted with the Ed 10.  Not good at all.

Treble prominence might be because German people have ears differently shaped, and that treble prominence is just there way of hearing neutrality and judging good a headphone. There is the sound of the US, of Japan, there is a Canadian sound similar to that of the US... I would be curious to see an audiogram of John Grado hearing for a better understanding on why he make treble orientated headphones... maybe it's a family thing I still have to listen to Joseph Grado's :p.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #52 of 95
German people do not have differently shaped ears. Even if they did the actual physical structure of the pinna has almost nothing to do with how well humans hear. Likely the differences in sound preference by nationality is cultural. If all you heard was one interpretation of what is called "good sound" then that forms the basis for manufacturers when tuning their equipment. 

Another example (non-sound related) is Vegemite. Australians love it but the majority of the world have a much different opinion. It is not because their tongues are shaped differently.

Quote:

Treble prominence might be because German people have ears differently shaped, and that treble prominence is just there way of hearing neutrality and judging good a headphone. There is the sound of the US, of Japan, there is a Canadian sound similar to that of the US... I would be curious to see an audiogram of John Grado hearing for a better understanding on why he make treble orientated headphones... maybe it's a family thing I still have to listen to Joseph Grado's :p.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #53 of 95
I literally puked when I first tried Vegemite, thinking it was chocolate butter when I first arrived in Sidley for vacation some years ago. Never touched that thing again, and it made me cautious until today when I see chocolate cream or chocolate butter. It is that bad.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #54 of 95
I always find the whole 'different' ears a weird argument. If I play an acoustic guitar in front of you, the guitar will create the sound. The sound flows through the air, and then gets in our ears. The guitar's sound doesn't change for your or mine ears, its just the sound it makes. If I were to perfectly record that guitar, and then perfectly reproduce the sound waves (which of course is impossible, but theoretically speaking), your ears would receive the EXACT same sound wave as if the guitar were playing. This exact reproduction would sound the same to you as the actual guitar. If the guitar would sound warm to you, the exact reproduction of that sound would also sound warm. If it sounded cold, same thing applies. If because of some weird ear shape, you would be less sensitive to treble, the whole world would sound like it has less treble in your ears. You would not compensate for this with your headphone, because thats just not how the world sounds to you. If you were to borrow someone else's ears, THEN you would compensate it, to get it back to the sound you are used to.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #55 of 95
I've heard the Audeze LCD3 made some fine tuning improvements on the already near-perfect LCD-2, whereas the Edition 10 was not at all liked by InnerFidelity. He looked like he was in some severe pain while listening to them. One of his comments indicated that there was a severe lack of bass.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #59 of 95
It's all about distributing the weight evenly, instead of having one or two pressure points. The perfect headband is the one that has the shape of your head, at which point padding wouldn't even matter.

Personally I am more bothered by the vertical compression exerted by the two earpieces. For the weight I always put something between my head and the headband of my phones (because I only have Grados and those headbands hurt like hell after five hours)

Here's a perfect example of me not wearing my Grados (wearing something else!)

(I could wear those like that for as long as I want without feeling it)

Without that cut of a band of foam that came with my window climatizer, the SQUARE headband that is too wide would rest on only one point of my SPHERICAL head, and it hurt me so I DID A MODIFICATION. Hahaha, I have a modded T50RP, it has a foam.

No I mean they really are modified, on the inside too, but you can't see it yet :p.

Counter example:

(too wide for my head, will always end up hurting, I will move it up front or push it further to the back and it'll eventually be unbearable for any section of my head)

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #60 of 95
I am another person who found the Edition 10 to be horribly colored, and in a generally non-pleasing way.  I can name about three dozen headphones I would rather own, just off the top of my head (very much including Ultrasone's own Edition 8 which I think are terrific).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back