Ultrasone 900 Vs Monster beats by Dre Studio
Jun 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #31 of 56

Quote:
There's clearly a difference in preference as to how prominent we want out subterranian bass then.  Your 'normal' listening volume could be considerably higher than mine as well, as I've noticed that my normal listening volume is miles lower than everybody else who tries my headphones out.

Eh nah my listening volume used to be quite high before college, but not any more. On my laptop I usually listen at 20, maybe 30% volume, just enough to hear all the nuances and not any higher.

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #33 of 56
If there's one thing that depresses me a bit about this forum it's the amount of snobbery and vitriole I see flying around all the time. I agree that the beats are not all that great, but, like someone mentioned, at least they got the OP here and thinking about getting into hi-fi. How about those with more experience try to help him out in a civil way rather than "zOmG you area teh fail sAuCe blaaaah!"? And if the constant beats posts are really such a "huge annoyance" THEN DON'T CLICK ON THEM.

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #34 of 56

Quote:
If there's one thing that depresses me a bit about this forum it's the amount of snobbery and vitriole I see flying around all the time. I agree that the beats are not all that great, but, like someone mentioned, at least they got the OP here and thinking about getting into hi-fi. How about those with more experience try to help him out in a civil way rather than "zOmG you area teh fail sAuCe blaaaah!"? And if the constant beats posts are really such a "huge annoyance" THEN DON'T CLICK ON THEM.

Well... while I can agree that Head-Fi's disdain for all things Beats to Skullcandy can get a little out of hand sometimes, but continually creating threads asking for comparisons to the Beat line, when a simple use of the search bar or simply looking through the latest threads can answer most if not all Beats related questions, I'd say a little grief is to be expected.  Even the OP(who by the way has been a member for over six months) expected the less than favorable response.  Which begs the question, if he knew how Head-Fi feels about headphones like the Beats' line, then why even bother creating a thread like this when in reality he should KNOW the answer already.  The PRO900 vs the Beats' whatever?  Is that even a fair comparison?

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #35 of 56

Quote:
Which begs the question, if he knew how Head-Fi feels about headphones like the Beats' line...

That's an assumption. Besides, you make it sound as if he should be punished for violating some sacred, unwritten rule. There's no excuse for stepping outside the bounds of civility simply because you don't agree with someone's headphone preference (not even a preference, really, as he was just posing a question). I'm not trying to start an argument with anybody and I really mean no ill will; I just feel we should all have a little decency here. Unless he's just trolling us all, in which case the gloves are off... 
angry_face.gif

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #36 of 56
Isn't the Beats memo handed over after the first month of membership?

At least Skullcandy did try to make something for the audiophile crowd, in the form of the Aviators, while Beats just keep on being Beats.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #38 of 56
I agree. Monster has done a fantastic job marketing these headphones.

It's the way they've been marketed that so many on head-fi find distasteful.  For example, if Monster hadn't incorporated celebrity names into their marketing strategy, i think they would be viewed a little differently around here(but then they probably wouldn't have as much success either). With celebrity names out of the picture, what drives the high prices in Beats headphones? Fancy design and packaging. I'm pretty sure Monster isn't the only headphone manufacture guilty of marketing fancy design and packaging.
biggrin.gif

Having said that, i definitely think the pro900 would technically be a better choice. 

Quote:
If Beats Studios cost only $99, you wouldn't see anyone on Head-Fi complaining.

The farken price of $499AU for them though? Its a great move on Mon$ters behalf.

FYI OP, I will be receiving my Pro 900's tomorrow, so if you want short impressions on them, I am happy if you're interested.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #39 of 56
Nice packaging is nice. I'm sure there are members who'd rather the companies save on packaging to pump more money into the product itself, but I have to admit a healthy assortment of accessories or a nice box increases the appeal of one product over another.

E.g. AKG K701 with its included headphone stand, the Beyer line (770/880/990, T5p) with their carry/storage cases, UE TF10 with adaptors and small, semi-hard carry case.

OP: FWIW the Monster Beats Studio (and even Studio Pro) that I demo'd recently weren't bass heavy at all. If anyone claims otherwise, you should ask them whether they've heard the cans at all, and what other headphones the Beats are being compared to.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #40 of 56

Add to that the pro sports people who wear them. You will see countless basketball players, football players now rock them. Then you will see YouTube posters asking what headphones their fave players listen to. A vicious circle
rolleyes.gif

I don't hate on their sound. They sound quite good, but they shouldn't have applied marketing tax.
Quote:
I agree. Monster has done a fantastic job marketing these headphones.

It's the way they've been marketed that so many on head-fi find distasteful.  For example, if Monster hadn't incorporated celebrity names into their marketing strategy, i think they would be viewed a little differently around here(but then they probably wouldn't have as much success either). With celebrity names out of the picture, what drives the high prices in Beats headphones? Fancy design and packaging. I'm pretty sure Monster isn't the only headphone manufacture guilty of marketing fancy design and packaging.
biggrin.gif

Having said that, i definitely think the pro900 would technically be a better choice. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #41 of 56
I agree with the post above saying if they were $99 there wouldn't be as big of a problem. The overpricing is my biggest complaint. Some people complain about Beats (Studio and Pro) sound who really shouldn't be though. They say Beats aren't even worth $25 blah blah blah. The thing is, these people usually don't even listen to any hip-hop, techno, or anything else involving bass. Hell, let me audition some high quality neutral headphones and I guess I can call them crap too. But I won't call them crap, because I will realize they weren't made to sound good for my preferences. Another thing I think people have a problem with is all these ill informed people going around boasting their Beats as the best thing ever made. That can be pretty annoying.

But to logicalform, there is no unwritten sacred rule about Beats. The reason we get so annoyed is because of the same threads being created over and over again. Pretty sure there is a rule against that though (whether it's written or not I am unaware). It's called using the search function on the forum. That's pretty much one of the main rules on any forum.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #42 of 56
Companies like monster and bose spend around 70% on marketing rather than R&D which is why their prices are atrocious and only the rich or crazy ones would buy at MSRP. I have both headphones and there is no comparison

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #45 of 56
After my ATH-ES7 broke I stubbornly bought the Beats online after spending hours on this forum thinking I love bass and I don't care what people say.

Spent the money, received the package, opened it and listened to the phones for about 10 songs.
Put them in the box again and sold it 1 day later with $75 loss. Don't go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back